Not Fade Away, the widely anticipated feature film debut from The Sopranos creator David Chase, is an ode to the transformative power of rock 'n' roll. In 1964, The Rolling Stones appear on television and three best friends from the suburbs of New Jersey decide to form a rock band. The film stars John Magaro, Jack Huston, Will Brill, Bella Heathcote, Brad Garrett, Christopher McDonald and James Gandolfini.
The film's forthcoming soundtrack on ABKCO Records chronicles the sounds that inspired a generation to pursue dreams of rock stardom and glory. The soundtrack, set for digital release on December 18th, will be available at iTunes and all other digital download stores. Not Fade Away, a Paramount Vantage film, opens in select theaters on December 21st, 2012.
Because music is so central to the film, Chase worked closely with executive producer Steve Van Zandt in compiling recordings that are evocative of the era and propel the narrative of Chase's screenplay. Van Zandt played Silvio Dante in Chase's The Sopranos over the course of the groundbreaking series' six seasons on HBO and in 2002, created "Little Steven's Underground Garage," a nationally syndicated rock radio show on SiriusXM Satellite Radio. He is a long-standing member of the E Street Band.
Thanks to Van Zandt's efforts, the film's soundtrack includes music from The Rolling Stones, Bo Diddley, Bob Dylan, The Sex Pistols, James Brown, The Rascals, Van Morrison, Robert Johnson, Elmore James and many others. The soundtrack album also includes several songs performed by the band members portrayed in the film by actors Magaro and Huston, who cut their own vocal tracks, which were produced by Van Zandt. "Tell Me" and "Parachute Woman" are two classic Rolling Stones tracks featured on the Not Fade Away soundtrack release. Here's what Van Zandt had to say about the soundtrack.
David Chase also released the following statement.
The ABKCO soundtrack includes the original versions of the songs that inspired the formation of the band whose story is at the core of the film, as well as music played by the band as heard in the film.
Not Fade Away - Track listing
- "There Was a Time" - James Brown
- "Tell Me" - The Rolling Stones
- "Ride On Baby" - The Twylight Zones*
- "Bo Diddley" - Bo Diddley
- "Bo Diddley" - The Twylight Zones
- "Subterranean Homesick Blues" - The Twylight Zones*
- "Parachute Woman" - The Rolling Stones*
- "Go Now" - The Moody Blues
- "Time Is On My Side" - The Twylight Zones
- "Dust My Broom" - Elmore James
- "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart" - The Rascals
- "Good Morning Blues" - Leadbelly
- "Train Kept A Rollin'" - Johnny Burnette & The Rock N' Roll Trio*
- "Train Kept A Rollin'" - The Twylight Zones
- "Pretty Ballerina" - The Left Banke
- "Down So Low" - Mother Earth
- "Itchycoo Park" - The Small Faces
- "Me and the Devil Blues" - Robert Johnson
- "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" - The Twylight Zones
- "T.B. Sheets" - Van Morrison
- "Some Velvet Morning" - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood
- "Bali Ha'i" (From South Pacific) - Original Motion Picture Cast
- "Road Runner" - The Sex Pistols
- "Pipeline" - The Twylight Zones
- "She Belongs To Me" - Bob Dylan
- Digital Bonus Track: "Surgical Supply Jingle"
*Tracks not included in the film.
Not Fade Away was released December 21st, 2012 and stars John Magaro, Jack Huston, Will Brill, Dominique McElligott, Brahm Vaccarella, Gregory Perri, James Gandolfini, Bella Heathcote. The film is directed by David Chase.