Zack Snyder Talks Justice League, Lex Luthor and 'Man of Steel 2'!

The director reveals he hasn't spoken with the studio about his ideas for the sequel, and how he wants to expand the DC Universe.
Director Zack Snyder talks Justice League, Lex Luthor and Man of Steel 2
Director Zack Snyder talks Justice League, Lex Luthor and Man of Steel 2
Man of Steel 2 is still in the very early stages of development, but we know that director Zack Snyder is returning to the helm, with David S. Goyer currently working on the screenplay.

When asked what ideas he has for the follow-up, Zack Snyder said that he hasn't had a chance to speak with Warner Bros. yet, since he is still doing press for the international release.

"I'm going to be a hundred percent honest with you, I haven't yet gotten to speak to the studio about all these awesome details (because I've been overseas on the junket). So my hope is, when I get home I can sit down with everyone and it'll be like 'Okay, so what are we going to do?.. We need to do something...'"

He teased that the explosive nature of Man of Steel makes it a hard act to follow for a sequel.

"We almost destroyed the world last time, now what!?"

When asked if Man of Steel 2 leads into Warner Bros.' DC superhero ensemble Justice League, the filmmaker offered this response.

"I really wanted to expand the DC Universe and I really wanted to make sure, in Superman's world, that all that is a possibility."

He also addressed complaints from the fans that Lex Luthor wasn't in the first movie, but reveals that the villain is most definitely a part of this world.

"People have been like 'there's no kryptonite in the movie!' and 'there's no Lex Luthor in the movie!', and by no means am I saying those things don't exist, I'm just saying he didn't run into them here [this time]."

We reported earlier this week that Mark Strong is reportedly being sought to play Lex Luthor in the follow-up, but that has not been confirmed by Warner Bros. yet.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice comes to theaters May 6th, 2016 and stars Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Gal Gadot, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

Sources: Moviehole

@ejk1 We'll have to agree to disagree on certain points, then.

RDJ has become a complete phenomenon in the industry thanks to Iron Man. He is the quintessential come-back-kid of the century thus far. His career is more or less cemented thanks to Iron Man and he recognizes this. Hemsworth and Evans may have found success due to their MCU alter egos, but I doubt they feel as though they owe as much to the characters as RDJ does. Thus, I don't feel as though (were they at RDJ's age) they'd feel required to resume the role multiple times over a decade and a half. How much more the actors chosen to play the Justice League? Perhaps superhero films will have become a standard thing to the point of indifference from the audience. Perhaps not. Regardless, I just don't see the same level of commitment coming from any actors chosen to play those DC characters as RDJ is bringing to the table with Marvel. It goes without saying this is all speculation and moot, but it plays a part in my stance nonetheless.

In regards to the actual story line of Blackest Night, were the studio wise enough to take your advice, I'd be in. The likelihood of that happening, unfortunately, is slim to none. I don't see the studio being patient or methodical with that story arc, if they're past few films are anything to go by. Blackest Night was one of their highest selling house wide events of the century thus far, and possibly their most popular pre-Flashpoint and the new 52. I don't see them sitting on their hands with this story, nor do I see them getting it right. Even with (or in spite of) Geoff Johns involvement. I'm sorry, man.

It's almost a pity you're set on being a lawyer. You'd honestly make a great overseer/advisor for DC.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator I respectfully disagree, but not necessarily because I find fault with your assessment of BN. The fact is that everything you said about the story told in the comics is mostly correct. However, the film adaptation could easily prove to be much tighter, and carry emotional baggage for the established heroes. Nekron as an all-powerful villain would prove a much different foe than Darkseid, and could make things much more personal. Sure, they would have to change things, and cut out many of the needless tie-ins, but a BN film can be done, and be better than the comic. Kick-Ass was changed in adaptation, and for the better, so it stands to reason that, with a proper reboot of GL, and a slow, simmering burn to the story, it could happen and be successful. As for the cast not wanting to stick around for twelve to fifteen years, I call BS on that. By the time Avengers 3 comes about in say, 2017 or 18, RDJ and Sam Jackson will have spent a full decade in those roles, and they were both over forty they began. Cavill is much younger, and if DC finds people around his age or a bit younger, they may find that core cast to be committed to for the long haul.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

3. CelluloidDreams

Hmmmm!!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

4. Sean

@gandoff I think more then one villain would be cool to have in Man of Steel 2, but in the end result of Man of Steel 2 I hope that Superman wins what ever fights with villains he will go through in it. I liked that Superman fought General Zod and won that fight.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

5. Sean

@dfella I think most of us want to forget about the green Lantern movie.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

6. Sean

@redcameraman I am as well. We probably won't see one though, until at least 2016 or 2017 or later.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. Gandoff

@themoviefanatic Lex needs kryptonite to even challenge Superman, while Zod wouldn't. My thing I would like to know, is do they go Original Superman movie kind of track, where Superman and Lex is all, or do we see them bringing in another villain to give him a super power challenge. Like a Brainiac or Metallo. The last would explain how they find out about Kryptonite. Lex finds its uses as a power source,makes Matallo and he gets loose, Superman faces him and gets weak, ect...

1 year agoby @gandoffFlag

8. Mohd Akbal Tauge Topup

if Zod was kill, so where is justice league will be, he suppose to live so more arch villains to face

1 year agoby @Mohd-Akbal-Tauge-TopupFlag

@ejk1 I'll disagree about Blackest Night. Having reread the main arc as well as many of the tie-ins which I had previously ignored, I couldn't help but find Blackest Night pretty sloppy and too "shock and awe" oriented, even by Johns' standards. That's not to even mention that it would have a significantly reduced impact translated into the DC cinematic universe, because how many characters can actually die and come back and have an emotional impact on the audience twelve to fifteen years from now? I say twelve to fifteen, because I don't see us having two or three JLA films before that time, and I sure as hell don't see any of the original actors wanting to portray those characters a decade later should they become successful in the industry. There's just no way DC won't stumble and fall with their casting and release dates in a way that won't make adapting Blackest Night a complete nightmare. Not at the pace they've been lumbering along. Just my two cents, but I think a greater "crown jewel" can be found, even if its an original one.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

10. Dfella504

do not put mark strong in ass lex!!!!!!! he's fukn sinestro...c*m on

1 year agoby @dfellaFlag

11. T. King (Red Camera Man)

I'm down for a "Justice League" movie.

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

12. Mr.K

@felipe-11 Superman fanboys were the ones complaining about the Kryptonite and Lex Luthor not being in Man Of Steel, even though getting rid off the Krptonite bullsh*t weakness was the BEST thing that Zack Snyder did with the Superman character.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

13. Sean

@gandoff From what it says in the article above, it sounds like Kryptonite and maybe even Lex Luthor are being saved for Man of Steel 2. That is why they weren't in Man of Steel.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

14. Gandoff

I just got home from watching Man of Steel. I loved it. The entire story had to be done way for the realism to fully make the idea possible. There was not any kryptonite, in this film, to force Superman to make the ultimate choice in order to save lives with Zod. So with Zod, kryptonite may have made it more possiable to stop Zod, it also would have given him a spot for Zod to stop him. So in order to make things a even playing field for Lex, he has to have the kryptonite as a weapon to weaken Superman. That alone is a understandable reasoning for limiting things for the first film.

1 year agoby @gandoffFlag

15. Omar Guevaraz

People enjoy this Superman movie, it brought back the essential of the Dc Character, lest enjoy it. When Zack Snyder has a decent sequel to direct, presented to the DC Fans in Man Of Steel 2. Don't rush it

1 year agoby @Omar-GuevarazFlag

"We almost destroyed the world last time, now what!?"

Yeah, that's a problem. Like I said in my review, by doing the invasion angle in MOS, they somewhat undercut JLA prospects, which would likely eventually have an invasion from Apokolips. I will be very interested to see how DC tackles this situation going forward. Assuming they, like Snyder, recognize the potentially repetitive nature of these films, WB/DC may think of outside of the box ideas before they get to what should be their crown jewel story, Blackest Night (three or four JLA films down the line).

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

17. Hideki Ryuga

@replicant
    yeah! Who is?

1 year agoby @h-ryugaFlag

18. Replicant

There was a Lexcorp truck and building clearly visible in the movie, plus, who the hell is complaining there wasn't any Kryptonite or Lex in this movie!?

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

Eh, nothing really gleaned from this.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag