'X-Men: First Class' Director Matthew Vaughn Talks End of Superhero Movies

The visionary auteur doesn't feel the genre will flourish in Hollywood much longer.
Matthew Vaughn anticipates death of superhero movies
Matthew Vaughn anticipates death of superhero movies
Matthew Vaughn, the director behind the critically acclaimed big screen adaptation of Mark Millar's graphic novel Kick-Ass, was originally supposed to direct X-Men: The Last Stand. But he stepped away when he couldn't meet the budget and time constraints placed upon that highly anticipated project. The man is back though, and he is currently shooting X-Men: First Class. A prequel of sorts that continues and pushes this long running franchise in a new direction.

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, Vaughn explained that he jumped at the chance to return to this series because, frankly, he doesn't see the genre sticking around much longer. Here is what the visionary action auteur had to say about his decision to take on this particular film so close to his own well-received Kick-Ass, and how he feels about the future of super hero films:

"It's been mined to death and in some cases the quality control is not what it's supposed to be. People are just going to get bored of it. I've always wanted to do a big-budget superhero film and I think we've kind of crossed the Rubicon with superhero films. I think [the opportunity to do one], it's only going to be there two or three more times. Then the genre is going to be dead for a while because the audience has just been pummeled too much."

You can read more of Matthew Vaughn's interview by heading over to The Los Angeles Times.

X-Men: First Class was released June 3rd, 2011 and stars James McAvoy, Laurence Belcher, Michael Fassbender, Bill Milner, Kevin Bacon, Rose Byrne, Jennifer Lawrence, Beth Goddard. The film is directed by Matthew Vaughn.

1. lawrence mccullah

@ejk1 fine with me your a coward anyways so bye bye

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

@lawrence-mccullah Not true, I can ignore you. Which is what I plan on doing from now on. Have fun talking to yourself.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

3. lawrence mccullah

@dan1 i love fighting this bitch she's so much fun @ejk1 come on you can't stop me and call names is so childish why don't you grow a pair or better yet grow up....well good luck with that one.....you have nothing....nothing to threaten me with..this can go on and on or you can back off but im hoping for a great battle it would be more fun and remember i laugh at you because you will never meet me what can you do hummm see nothing

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

4. lawrence mccullah

@masta-chiefed makes you wonder who i realy am humm? for all you i could be any of these people and you would never know you think i would be that stupid i would never use my real name or face but your to stupid to understand that so i feel sorry for you but im never going away you started this little fight of stupid spiderman 2 so you want a war little one ....you got it. you better be ready for a fight because i don't give up. i quess you should have thought of that hummm?

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

What's funny to me is nobody can get away with trying to throw out an insult months later on an article they think noone is gonna check anymore, if they're dumb enough to use the "@" mention. It's going to pop up for that person you're insulting, and then you'll look like a sad fool for trying to start something over something that was long dead and buried.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

6. Masta_Chiefed

@lawrence-mccullah You got no $. Calm down. You've polarized yourself from the rest of the site... Ejk1 is one of the more respected posters on here. I'm just built for sh*t talking.

You're just kind of frightening and misplaced on this site Joshy boy... Idk why you'd choose a pic that screams "I creep on myspace for 8 hour shifts" instead of the million other pics.

You're just a silly, silly bastard. I wonder who you really are, and what your dilemma really is. You obviously no absolutely sh*t about film. Maybe your the NSA troll for this site. You're doing a bad job of monitoring.

3 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

@lawrence-mccullah Maybe you can buy some typing lessons with all that money you have. As for class, well that's not for sale, so you're SOL.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

8. lawrence mccullah

@ejk1 is that it i know computers there is aways way to return as for trashing she started this fight i will win end of story and what can u both do... i quess nothing im have the money i just love to brag about my money i laugh at the poor but thanks for your thought i quess im unstopable i just finish the job some of these people just can't hit the target

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

@lawrence-mccullah You love making fun of someone that hurt your feelings seven months ago, dude. And if you keep calling people things such as child molesters, you WILL get banned. Oh, you might have three other accounts, but MW can just erase them just as easily. If you want to sit there and talk trash to people, fine go ahead, but when you repeatedly cross the line, people are going to notice your irrationality (which they already have, btw). The fact that you responded to my last post yet still took the time to take another swipe at Masta_Chiefed only further illustrates that you do care about what the people here think. A person that doesn't care is one that posts something, and doesn't respond to any positive or negative reactions. By responding you betray your own thoughts.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

10. lawrence mccullah

@ejk1 the only one bitchen is people like you dude and as for banned i have three more accounts and trust you can't get rid of me but name calling dude really man trust me i really don't care what people think if i did i would not be on here so if people like you don't like what i think dont say anything it would be better that way and @masta-chiefed that pic on here is not even me i found it online @ejk1 you see Masta-chiefed started the sh*t and i will finish it and she's no threat to me she's a joke a loser i love making fun of the she-male

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

@lawrence-mccullah he is bitching to someone who cares. By picking up on this thread and responding after so much time has elapsed demonstrates exactly how much you care about the way you are perceived. The personal attacks you make are childish, and if you keep going on in this manner (calling people child molesters. Really dude?) you will be banned from Movieweb. If those are the only kind of responses that you can conjure, then you should not respond. It would be better that way.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

12. lawrence mccullah

@masta-chiefed bitch im not going to keep playing this game your lame and i don't waste time with she-male childmolesting it so if your going to bitch.....bitch to someone who cares jackass and as for money trust me i have money and what you think is very funny name calling is what children do in high school maybee you should go back to high school @ejk1 im not childish dude i just state a fact to crazy people

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

@lawrence-mccullah You seriously decided to start a fight seven months after the fact? That seems childish, dude.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

14. Masta_Chiefed

@lawrence-mccullah LMFAO!!!! Please track down more of my comments from last summer and try to put me on blast.

I don't think a hypothetical raping from my father would have helped me with anything. Are you sure rape is a catalyst? I've never heard that.

If you were rich, you wouldn't be on here.

Please explain this gibberish to me. It makes my brain bleed trying to decipher it... "oh i forgot that ur whor* ally and look she-male your no threat too me and call me all you want."

3 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

15. lawrence mccullah

@masta-chiefed just remember i laugh at your face child molester and my friends think your a joke what can you do cry for me cry

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

16. lawrence mccullah

@masta_chiefed look ur a joke call people names just shows me your a weak fool and if your realy need litlle little boys and girls just look on the corner...oh i forgot that ur whor* ally and look she-male your no threat too me and call me all you want... the end of the day im rich, have a awesome son and i have the girl what do you have.....jack sh*t so your thoughts don't mean sh*t to me so piss off c*nt bitch or did mommie and daddy not help you enough. maybee daddy didn't rape you enough

3 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

17. Masta_Chiefed

Spiderman 2 sucked? Wtf? Are you trying to be the cool guy or something? You just lost all relevance on this site with that comment. Go back to trying to pick up little girls and boys on facebook. Nice 80's look in that pic dumbsh*t.

4 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

18. lawrence mccullah

spiderman 2 sucked end of story and as for mr vaughn u suck balls

4 years agoby @lawrence-mccullahFlag

19. Jbottas7

always kinda irks me when most of what people know about batman is based on Tim Burton, instead of Bob Kane

4 years agoby @jbottas7Flag

20. Jbottas7

Spider-Man 2 was defnly the best of the trilogy. Still, once the Spidey movies get rebooted by Webb and Garfield (almost sounds like a hippie folk music group) Raimi's spider-movies will be in the same bin as Schumachers batmovies. Yeh, these are superhero movies that did huge numbers at the boxoffice, but that's cuz none of us knew we deserved better... and were going to be given better. (we're looking at you Jon Favreau)

4 years agoby @jbottas7Flag

21. moviegeek

I wasn't a big fan of As Good as it Gets. It made me grumpy. I appreciated it more than I like it. So ya, off the list for me.

4 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

@moviegeek1, Amistad at #2 and As Good as it Gets at #3? Or As Good as it Gets off the list entirely?

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

23. moviegeek

@ejk1 I agree with your 1997 list except for As Good as it Gets. Maybe Amistad.

4 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

Thanks, @Avatah. What saddens me is that is how many view the year, even though Titanic won Best Movie. For this reason, I am happy that Avatar did not win last year. Cameron makes good movies, but the hype surrounding these two films was a little ridiculous, and neither were the best of their respective years.

@Monkeyiron, I posted on your forum.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

Agrees with @ejk1, and with the order of his list.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

@Monkeyiron, a great 1997 comedy starring Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear, and Cuba Gooding Jr. Nicholson and Hunt won Best Actor and Actress awards at the Oscars for their roles. IMO, this is the second best movie from that year. Even though Titanic won the Oscar, my order for that year is 1) LA Confidential, 2) As Good As It Gets, 3) Good Will Hunting, 4) Titanic. Peoplecanargue with me if they wish, but that's how I see 1997.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

@Monkeyiron You didn't see that one?

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

28. Monkeyiron

uM WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

4 years agoby @monkeyironFlag

I loved As Good As It Gets. I still laugh when Nicholson chucks the gay guy's dog down the trash chute. Something I've been inspired to want to do to those little yappers myself in the past but didn't act on it.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

30. Monkeyiron

yea your right.But go on my forum to create your own list of awesome/horrible superhero movies

4 years agoby @monkeyironFlag