Will the Skywalker-Solo Kids Be at the Center of 'Star Wars: Episode VII'?

A new source claims that Luke, Han, and Leia's children will be the main characters in J.J. Abrams' sequel.
the Skywalker-Solo Children rumored to be the focus of Star Wars: Episode VII
the Skywalker-Solo Children rumored to be the focus of Star Wars: Episode VII
Take this news with a cautious step. It comes from someone who sounds more like they are speculating on Star Wars: Episode VII storylines than actually presenting confirmed facts from a reliable source. Respected entertainment journalist Roger Friedman, reporting for Showbiz 411, doesn't make it clear where this latest information is coming from, and it sounds like all the things we've already overheard online ever since the news of a new Star Wars trilogy was released.

Last week, it was announced, but never confirmed by Disney and Lucasfilm, that Harrison Ford is returning as Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode VII. Soon thereafter, many fans began asking, "What about Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker and Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia?"

Well, Roger Friedman doesn't want you to worry. He says that both actors are returning as well, and that Star Wars: Episode VII will focus on the Skywalker-Solo children. He also claims that C3PO and R2D2 are returning, unchanged.

Here are his comments.

"It's some time in the future. Han, Princess Leia (with a presumably better hairstyle), and Luke Skywalker will be a lot older. Their children will be the new main characters. R2-D2 and C-3PO will be unchanged, I would guess. since they are not human. But suffice to say, the three main actors are definitely coming back."

if this news is correct, Han, Leia, and Luke will not be at the forefront of this new adventure, but they won't be turning in small cameos either. They will be deeply involved in the plot, serving as secondary characters.

Many of the extended universe storylines, in both comic book form and in the novels, revolve around the Skywalker-Solo children. Han and Leia have three kids, twins Jacen and Jaina, and Anakin, who were all trained as Jedi Knights. Jacen turned to the dark side and became Darth Caedus. Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade Skywalker have a boy Ben, named after Obi Wan, who grows up to be an investigator and eventually follows his father into seclusion.

It was previously announced that none of the existing novels or comic books would be used as part of the new trilogy. At the current age of Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher, their on-screen children would have to be in their late teens to early twenties, at their youngest, and that is being generous. This gives the new trilogy the same gap of time between the original trilogy as the prequel trilogy. That leaves a lot of room for stand-alone movies in this universe.

Of course, none of this has been confirmed by Lucasfilm and Disney, with the source being rather susceptible. This sounds more like an old man culling rumors from preexisting news stories more than actual facts, as Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill's involvement has been in the news since the new movie was announced. And it has long been speculated that this upcoming trilogy would revolve around the Skywalker-Solo children. Will we get the existing children that we already know? Or will these characters be rewritten?

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: Showbiz 411

1. CBF

This is the only way I'd be interested in a new trilogy. If Jacen & Jaina were the main characters, with their supporting cast in play and Luke as the Grand Master of the New Jedi Order. Han & Leia would play diplomatic roles in the New Republic. Now they don't have to do any story arcs from the books but dear god, bring these characters in and then create a new adventure through a trilogy. If they don't, it won't be connected to me and will be all messed up. And therefore, I will be uninterested. This is the only proper storyline to follow the first two trilogies. They are about the Skywalker and Solo families. The next generation is the only logical step for VII-IX.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

2. Michael Kolesik

SPOILER ALERT: DON'T READ ON IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS. I WARNED YOU.

Does this mean they're gonna do the story from the books where Jacen Solo goes sith?

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

This is a decent way to continue the story altho SO much has already been written in the expanded universe. Does that even count as canon any longer?

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

4. Josh

I think they should cast the two leads from Super 8, Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney, to play the Skywalker twins.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

5. Xenon

As much as I like the Skywalker family I'll watch it to the end.

As for the spin-off's get someone that can shed a different light on the characters. I still want Force Unlease and KOTOR trilogy to happen.
    The number series needs to end.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

6. justatadmatt

this is my shocked face...

-__-

1 year agoby @justatadmattFlag

7. Thomas Clarke (Kiion)

I dont mind what stories the numbered series bring, the spin offs could be something much better. Bringing a different approach to each character. I cannot wait if they decide to bing back Darth Maul for aspin off of his own. His character is so popular I cannot see why they would not.

1 year agoby @thomasclarkeFlag

8. StephieBaybee

I just aint feeling the heat from this new movie lol regardless of who stars in it x

1 year agoby @steph-xFlag

9. Charli Sakura Weston

i dont know much about the EU but my fella is a massiove massive fan. but my question is were the twins story etc written after or before lucas had set the outlines for 7 8 and 9 cos obviousky he might have to scrap them cos the cast of 4 5 6 and so so much older now? think my fella wants either the thrawn series or knights of the old republic series as there the best (i really shoiuldstart reading these books but i'm still reading song of fire and ice)

1 year agoby @Charli-Sakura-WestonFlag

10. Bill Louis

NO WAY THIS WILL HAPPEN

1 year agoby @Bill-LouisFlag

11. incmob

My question is how much of the EU really, is Disney considering cannon?? They may go in a completely different direction and more than likely it wont be the direction the fans want. over the years... KOTOR, thrawn series, etc. have all been wanted, yet now they have han solo coming back. if lucas had any influence (after all he wrote the outlines for 7,8, and 9... although it is yet to be determined if those ideas will happen) then he has diregarded alot of the EU... for example... he still swares fett is dead and never crawled out of the sarlacc.

1 year agoby @incmobFlag

12. Fry_3000

Ok keep all that for ep 7, then move on, like others havensaid and go in alternative ways for 8 and 9 with new characters

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

13. The Real Goku

Why???? -___- I'd rather see a story line based on "the force unleashed" than this sh*t. Why not use all new characters?? Not affiliated with Luke

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

14. Sean

@felipe-11 I agree. They better not go with that idea.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

There are two stories from the books that are far and away the ones most loved and important: The Thrawn books, and the Jacen/Jaina story. If Disney is using the books, they will take from these two stories. Also, considering that Luke Skywalker is pretty much the most powerful being left after ROTJ, it figures that he play a prominent role in what happens after the Battle of Endor.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

16. Replicant

No... this idea sucks.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

@bawnian-dexeus That's how I feel about it, too. If Disney really is going to do all these spin offs and keep Star Wars going into the wild blue yonder, it's not a big deal to close off the numbered series with the legacy of the previous trilogies.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

To be fair...the way I see it, 7-9 should focus still on the Skywalker family and hopefully close the chapter on their lives and adventures. Allowing the whole meaning of a new generation of Star Wars truly expand after ep 9

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

19. Metalsfury

SKYWALKER/SOLO CHILDREN BETTER NOT BE KIDDIES - It would not make senses with age of the three! I think this is a great foundation. They need to keep the fun adventure structure that Episodes 1-3 had while improving on the darker and sensiblity that Episode 4-6 had. I am expecting to see them bring new life to Star Wars while reminding us why we are hooked. Show us the Galaxy far away is far but still the one we know

1 year agoby @metalheadfuryFlag

20. ROFLitschristian

Well, as long as they're not the central focus, and it's not the actual kid versions of their kids, I don't mind.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

I take it you don't follow the expanded universe, @aoshi? While I agree that people can and should focus on more than just the Skywalker family, the next generation of Skywalkers are actually pretty awesome. Like I said, I'm open to idea..

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

22. aoshi

An entire galaxy, and they have to go with the offspring.

1 year agoby @aoshiFlag

Until something is announced by Disney/Lucasfilm, I'm taking all of these stories with a grain of salt.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

The fan part of me says, "They'd damn well better be! F*cking Lucas.."

The objective side of me says, "I'd be interested in alternative ideas."

1 year agoby @narratorFlag