Will Smith Is Not Interested in 'I Am Legend 2'

The actor doubts he'd be "into it" even if the script turns out great, so he isn't committing to the sequel any time soon.
Will Smith is not working on I Am Legend 2
Will Smith is not working on I Am Legend 2
Back in February, we reported that I Am Legend 2 is forging ahead at Warner Bros., with Arash Amel writing the screenplay. Will Smith recently spoke about the project, revealing he is not ready to commit to the sequel.

"Producers are working on it. I'm not actually working on it. If it's great, I'm into it. I don't want to be the sequel guy. I figure I've got about six or seven more years where I can run and jump a little bit and then I'm going butt and gut for the rest of my career. Butt and gut."

When asked if the actor would reconsider his position, he replied, "Probably not." Our report from February also revealed the star would not sign on until the screenplay is ready. This doesn't necessarily mean that he won't star in the sequel, but it's not a sure thing that he will ever return as Robert Neville either.

There was a report back in December 2008 that this follow-up would be a prequel that takes place before the virus spreads throughout the world. Our story from February revealed this will not be a prequel, though, so it isn't immediately clear how they plan to keep Robert Neville in the story, given what happens at the end of I Am Legend.

I Am Legend 2 is in development .

Sources: EurWeb

1. Xenon

The ending of I am Legend is open ended - bringing in other characters to fend for them selves. That's what I want to see - not Will. I found this was his last good film.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

2. CelluloidDreams

Good boy!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

3. Heladio Matthew Mendoza

I thought I Am Legend was a terrible adaption of the book, please don't ruin it any further.

1 year agoby @Heladio-Matthew-MendozaFlag

This sounds like a bad idea. The prequel nonsense is garbage and the pretty much ruined the original source material in the first movie.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

5. Xenon

@cheetoboy your right, but I stopped liking Will a long time ago once I found out what he is doing with his kids. It's just not right and his acting has slipped, he used to be very c*cky and fill of energy now I find he's just boring in every role he's had.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

6. Corey W.

As MIB3 plays in theaters....

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

7. Michael Kolesik

I don't know why they're even considering this. Will Smith's character died in the first movie. How the hell would he be back?

2 years agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

8. Corey W.

God, I forgot I Am Legend even existed, as well as many others. Let it go. If they wanted to make a sequel they should have done it a couple of years ago.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

9. Corey W.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

10. Cheetoboy

@Mutant In a recent interview he said he really wanted to Django Unchained, he even said it was one of the best screenplay he had ever read, calling it genius. But he was in the middle of MIB3, he said he didn't get a chance to set and talk to Quentin, about future plans. He said he didn't want to hold Quentin up, so he ended up going with Jamie instead. Although it was stated that the role was originally written for Will. Of course Jamie Foxx looks great in the movie, but Do you think Tarantino should have waited for Will? He said he was just in the middle of MIB3, so him and Quentin could have worked something out.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

11. Brandon S. Todd

I am Legend was a tremendous achievement in filmmaking...it actually provided character, heart, and pseudo-realism to the post-apocalyptic film genre. It would be ashame if hollywood execs really pursued a sequel. The film was an adaptation and a second story or continuation of the first film would be entirely uneeded and unecessary. The film was great, leave it at that and please hollywood leave these finished stories be.

2 years agoby @brandon-scott-toddFlag

12. empath86

f*ck i am legend anyway, still pissed they made a re-make or whatever of the omega man, i had wanted to make my version of that movie since i saw it when i was like 10.

2 years agoby @empath86Flag

13. Xenon

He properly thinks he's too good for Tarantino

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

14. Cheetoboy

Really not anticapating I Am Legend2, he straight up died at the end. I would rather see him do a Bad Boys3, hopefully in the future Tarantino can find away to get him in one of his upcoming films since he was to busy with MIB3 to do Django Unchained.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

15. Newtron

@ROFLitschristian : Agreed.

2 years agoby @newtronFlag

16. ROFLitschristian

I have much respect for this man. But can we just throw this whole thing away?

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

17. Rudy

*Movie does extremely well and well received by critics* Another bad choice for Will Smith like the great choice he made when he decided not to be in The Matrix.

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

18. artkid04

never wanted a sequel or a stupid prequel to the movie anyways

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

19. artkid04

good, let them make something original for a change

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

20. Xenon

Not a sequel guy, look at MIB, BAD BOYS. Get off your high horse Will sink bag Smith, you act like as if your a 90 year old white man.
    Look at Bruce Wills and the other action actors, tell that to them and they will laugh at your face.
    As for I Am legend 2 go through it with the survivors.
    Big-stupid-jerk

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

Neither am I.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

22. ChiRep_1

Blah blah blah, they'll eventually settle a deal and make the movie anyway..

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

23. Nicholaus XX

@thedude-abides -- Agreed.

@bawnian-dexeus -- He's been in two sequels in his entire career, so meh.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

24. Replicant

It was a good movie, but a sequel is a complete overkill.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

25. SherlockHolmes2009

@LordPayne God yes, I want that to happen so badly

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

Meh.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

27. Vamp

I'm still not sure I'm even into the idea of a sequel. I think the point of I Am Legend was made with just the one movie, and would be better as a standalone film.

2 years agoby @vampire2000Flag

28. LordPayne

I just want Bad Boys 3...please smith, convince Bay to do BB3 instead of or after T4

2 years agoby @LordPayneFlag

29. JasonKat

6 more yrs b4 he can hang his irobot blk bloody shoes? ...really?
    There are other actirsa way older than him who still run, jump dive and do all kind of crzy stunts, he acts like hes to old to do that after 6yrs,

2 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

30. JasonKat

Not like this was a great movie anyways, all the hype for nothing.
    He died plain and simple, they cant act like he got away from a dead end.
    This movie wasnt the best of him but its a great stand alone and does not need a sequel .

2 years agoby @jasonkatFlag