Will Kirsten Dunst Return for 'Spider-Man 4'?

Director Sam Raimi seemed uncertain on whether she would come back or not.
It seems that director Sam Raimi might be directing another redhead for his next superhero film. According to MTV Splash Page, Raimi revealed that he's uncertain on whether or not Kirsten Dunst will return as Mary Jane Watson for Spider-Man 4.

"Kirsten? I have talked with her, and she's very excited about the possibility of it," Raimi revealed, insisting that although Dunst is willing, it will be the director's call to make after he reads the script by (David) Lindsay-Abaire. "I think I'm going to have to read the screenplay and make sure everything we've talked about is working, before I could honestly tell you absolutely how [Dunst's possible return] would go."

Raimi revealed that the script by playwright David Lindsay-Abaire will be ready soon.

"He says that he'll be done in about four weeks with his first draft. So that's where I am right now. And I'm just about to hire a production skeleton."

We'll be sure to keep you posted on any Spider-Man 4 news as soon as we have more information.

Spider-man 4 is in development .

Sources: MTV Splash Page

1. CBF

Redace I must say those are two exceptionally well written points! I'm in total agreement with #2 and the part of #1 about Eric Foreman as Venom and being the same size as Spidey! LOL WTF

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

2. slysnide

Axe her. She & her storyline was/were terrible in the last film.

5 years agoby @slysnideFlag

3. knobie09

peter parker f*cked up the relationship between him and mary jane. although 3 ended with them remaining as friends,it doesn't mean her appearance in 4 is important. after all,they are now divorced in the comics,right?

5 years agoby @knobie09Flag

4. redace

I for one really does not want Spider-man 4 for 2 reasons...
    1. The previous Spider-man films sucked omg I mean part 1 was the best of the series part 2 was boring and part 3 was wayy tooo emo i mean everyone had to cry and Venom omg what was Sam smoking when he put Eric Foreman as Eddie Brock I do not remember venom being the same size as Spider-man

2.Cause Sam is a dick for not doing the Evil Dead series his fans truley want I mean c'mon Drag Me To Hell?? He should know all Horror flicks that are rated pg-13 suck balls and a waste of time seeing example The Ring, The Grudge, I rest my case save the pleasing Teeny Boppers for the CW Station with the drama they could not save for their Momma I mean I remember reading a Freddy vs Jason vs Ash and Sam turned it down why? All he had to do was sign the rights for the Ash character but nooo he was greedy if Sam would read these posts I'd say SAM WAKE THE F*CK UP AND MAKE AN EVIL DEAD MOVIE WHILE BRUCE CAMPBELL IS STILL AROUND JERKIE!!!

5 years agoby @redaceFlag

5. Escapist

to illuminati: they did that for dark knight. All the batman films before that were more comical and for kids. The Dark Knight movie was more for a serious audience. They may take a leaf out of that book and apply it to the new film. That's IF they think about what is good for the world.

5 years agoby @escapistFlag

6. Illuminati

3 SPIDEY films under the RAMI view is more than enough. it needs a complete reformate (less campy).
    NO REBOOT, just sequels with a new cast, director, tone, mood, atmosphere!

5 years agoby @illuminatiFlag

7. CBF

Well Mary Jane doesn't suck or not need to be in the films, but I guess the main issue is that there is no depth to the MJ character in the films. Kirsten can only take what's written in the S C R I P T, and that usually entails her being nabbed by a villain and in turn screaming for an hour for Peter to come save her. If they did the MJ story arc different in pt. 4, I could see warming up to her as MJ. I know everyone knows about her storyline from the comics about eventually taking a break from her relationship with Pete and traveling to Los Angeles to make a movie (Lobster-Man) and continue pursuing her acting career, and maybe that would be a suitable story arc, due to the flageling character of Gwen Stacy that they awkwardly introduced in the last installment. Why? That we can't answer. We can only hope that Raimi knows what he is doing, and hopefully gave some insight into the writing process as to keeping Gwen in there for some sort of arc of her own. Gwen does eventually leave, also, to Europe (Paris), but it would be fine to do only MJ's arc. I would love to see The Black Cat, but I'm hoping they don't pull a Spidey 3 and throw a whole bunch of new characters into the mix. I'm hoping to see a set-up for The Black Cat by 5 (Felicia Hardy) and eventually see her in 6. But they would need to tell the rest of Gwen's arc here in 4, and figure out the PP/MJ arc. Will they get married? Most of all, for 4, I'm waiting to see The Lizard and to discover who the other villain is going to be. (There is going to be 2) Needless to say, a Spidey film with only Lizard as the villain would seem too small a treat after 3. Story Arcs & Villains.

That's my rant on this. Thanks for reading.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

8. Editboy

I continue to be amazed at all this Kirsten Dunst as MJ bashing! As well as slaming the love story aspect of the "Spider-Man" movies.

Does everybody just want non-stop action and no plot? No heart and soul or emotion? Just punching and fighting and jokes, add in a bunch of over the top explosions just for the f*ck of it? But then again that's what the new "Star Trek" is all about and a lot of people are insanely in love with that. Little depth, nothing but action and explosions. Is that what everyone wants these days?!

I'm sorry but I'm gong to make a stand here....I LIKE KIRSTEN DUNST AS MARY JANE!!!

I think she mirrors the comics just fine and at times is part of the glue that binds the "Spider-Man" movies. Without her (or any other character that brings more than just action) we'd be left with just a sh*t load of eye candy. MJ is Peter Parker's Lois Lane. You don't kill Lois Lane, I'm sorry! And NOT JUST MJ! The people around and in Peter's life are partly what makes him who he is. That's who we're dealing with here in these movies! Who and what influences Peter Parker that causes him to use his powers as Spider-Man.

And yes to be fair, in the next movie I could do without Spider-Man having to come to her rescue as she's used by the villain as bait to lure Web Head...again. It was fine in the first two movies, but I think we're done now. Perhaps use her in a different way entirely.

Hey you know, everyone's got their opinion on here and I totally respect that. But in the same turn I'm giving mine!

And BTW while I'm on this tirade, Venom totally f*cked up "Spider-Man 3"!! I wish Sam Raimi would push Sony's nose the f*ck out of what he's doing so he can focus on what he does best; bring the classic characters HE loved from the Spider-Man comics to life! The first two movies were brilliant, the second even better than the first. Because the studio forced Venom down Raimi's throat, the third one was a complete and total mess! Peter Parker and MJ adjusting to his role as a superhero, Sandman as the main villian, and Harry exacting his revenge on Peter for his belief that he killed his father....NO VENOM!!! ZERO! ZIP! GO GET YOUR OWN MOVIE!

O.K. I'm done.

5 years agoby @editboyFlag

9. Writer220

The writing in the third film did suck, it's just I simply enjoyed it. What Sam needs to do is less MJ or just leave her out of the picture all together. That she's visiting an old friend on the other side of the country.
    I'm not a big of Dunst but her role needs to be with a better actress. I find it's about time that Spiderman moved on to his other love, Gwen or Black Cat. In the past films I noticed that Spiderman never joked when he was fighting, he does in the comics and where is Wilson Fisk. He plays a big part in both Spiderman and Daredevil's life, he's the key to both of them.

Have you ever noticed that Toby's voice sounds as if he doesn't care about the character. Parkers voice needs to sound lively and happy, Toby's is just flat out boring.

5 years agoby @writer220Flag

10. Chiro-man3

Like I said before...With no disrespect to Sam Raimi because I am a huge fan of his but bring in Michael Bay and Platinum Dunne Productions and make the next Spider-man Badass instead of this romance crap between Peter and Mary-Jane. I agree, if she has to be in the movie either kill off the character or she goes to europe for her crappy broadway acting career...Bottom line...Small role or no role!

5 years agoby @durso3Flag

11. Solar XI

I honestly can't stand Mary Jane in these films. They make watching them so dull. Spider-Man was okay, but half the time he's fighting villains he loses focus and goes for Mary Jane.

Not that I have the best idea but I would have started off the trilogy with Gwen Stacey. After Spider-Man 3, the story has no choice but to focus on their "recovering" relationship (although when he hit her it was awesome).

I didn't bother reading anyone other comments but I wish they would reboot this series.

5 years agoby @solarxiFlag

12. Lock and Stock

Even though she sucks at being mj, she has to return or the film will be a big flop.

5 years agoby @m-man360Flag

13. CBF

Kirsten Dunst is a great actress, I just think that this is NOT the role for her. Her MJ sucks, flat out. As for Part 4, Abaire must be using Vanderbilt's work to draft a screenplay. Here's hoping for Lizard.

5 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

14. Portfan

I don't care one way or another if Mary Jane is back or not. Frankly, they just need to make a better movie than Spider-Man 3. As for villains and the like, I always liked Lizard as a foe, and this forum might be a good place to reintroduce Daredevil. Spider-Woman would also be a good addition, but these are just my opinions.

5 years agoby @portfanFlag

15. Escapist

I don't mind a part 4. It can introduce some of the other villains they omitted from the previous films. But they'll probably throw in a baby in the works, the sequels always have babies.

5 years agoby @escapistFlag

16. reelmein

i really dont whant to see a part 4 in the first place i think it is time to move on ...

5 years agoby @reelmeinFlag

17. Marcus-07

About re-cast...It's too late for that. I wanted to replace Tobey Mequire, Kirsten Dunst, Aunt May (Burn the witch!)...but it's just too late for that. Now I want the whole crew back and they should get rid of MJ somehow. Don't care how!
    Peter:"Why would I want to push you away? I love you!"
    Dude! Advice: Push her away! Please! Push her away while you are swinging accross the city with her...Don't care,just do it! ("You can do it!")
    I am so glad that Venom got it's own movie becouse he was raped in front of us in Spider-man 3. tsss...You can't give Venom a small role in the movie! Sorry....That wasn't a small role...It was a f*cking cameo!
    Anyway, I have fate in Spider-man. I hope 4th movie will rock. I don't think so...but I have a spark of hope for it.

5 years agoby @marcus-07Flag

18. ed_wood

She should come back, just have the part be very small. Die, leave town, whatever. I'm just tired of Spiderman saving MJ all the time.

5 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

19. T.Clark

Yes, Edit Boy, thank you

5 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

20. fsandoval60

If anyone is to die it should be Gwen Stacy. And forone reason and one reason alone. She dies in the comics. MJ should remain alive.

5 years agoby @fsandoval60Flag

21. GK

Bring her back for this one. Make her die because Peter wasn't there or he was too late.

5 years agoby @indianajonesFlag

22. fsandoval60

Oh and Kirsten Dunst isn't what made Spiderman 3 suck, it was the writing and how they did Venom.

5 years agoby @fsandoval60Flag

23. fsandoval60

I personally like Kirsten Dunst and I think she does ok. But that is just me. Don't care what the rest of you all think.

5 years agoby @fsandoval60Flag

24. ALor2

I know who can replace her...how about a villain. i'm all for not having her in the movie. maybe they can put in the story that she went on vacation and never came back. that would make me happy.

5 years agoby @champ2Flag

25. Soylent Green:The Devil's Eyes

Emma Stone is hot but she can't act. They should've gotten Bryce Dallas Howard in the first place but i dunno who can replace this bitch.

5 years agoby @jcisawesomeFlag

26. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

Screw Dunst cap how bout Emma Stone? she gots my vote!

5 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

27. Editboy

If you look at the time, Agent VIS, you'll see that we were posting comments within one minute of one another. The last message I saw before that was Dr. Carter's. Does that answer your question?

5 years agoby @editboyFlag

28. K-Man

Hopefully NOT! She is awful! I say replace her or give her a very small role!

5 years agoby @k-manFlag

29. -comrade-

I wish Bryce Dallas Howard had played her since the beginning. She's naturally a red-head...and Dunst is naturally dirty blond--whose f*ck-up was that?

5 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

30. -comrade-

She could be reinvigorated, but CB's right, she became way too one-note, and Dunst made that even worse.

5 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag