Watch Zack Snyder Announce Superman Batman Team-Up in 'Man of Steel 2'

Watch as the 'Man of Steel' director and star Harry Lennix take San Diego by storm with this earth-shattering announcement.
It wouldn't be Comic-Con if there weren't a few surprises, and yesterday, during the Warner Bros. Hall H panel, the studio dropped the biggest bombshell at the Con. At the very end of the panel, Man of Steel director Zack Snyder took the stage, along with star Harry Lennix, where they announced that Man of Steel 2 will feature the first big screen pairing of Superman and Batman when it hits theaters in 2015. Today, we have the five-minute video featuring the dramatic announcement and the crowd's massive reaction to the news, along with the logo that was unveiled yesterday.

Man of Steel 2 Superman/Batman Logo

Batman Vs. Superman comes to theaters May 6th, 2016 and stars Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Gal Gadot, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

1. CelluloidDreams

This has been talked about for years......YEARS!!! So when..... and if it happens it should be interesting!!

9 months agoby @2movieguysFlag

2. dess

@youngrizo Its the human factor of both men that allows batman to take on superman. Otherwise there would never be balance of power.

I like justice league doom, it shows that balance pretty well.

I think they will incorporate both films, if they don't this will be a bigger flop then the x-men franchise. My two cents.

9 months agoby @dessFlag

3. Mieko_Siede

@youngrizo superman/Clark, Batman/Bruce Wayne, eventually become the greatest of friends. And at the same time, Bruce remains a skeptic. Paranoia is built into his psychosis. His body is trained to be a weapon as well as his mind. Sharp, resourceful, and tactful...it would only make sense that a MAN such as Bruce would develop the means to combat such a force that is Superman if that day arises. Bare in mind, though Superman presents himself as mild tempered and benevolent one must also question what happens when he truly gets angry. What happens if he decided he no longer wanted to stand for justice? Someone like Bruce will have already thought that out after he'd revealed himself on the world stage with his great attributes that makes him a SUPER man.

That's not to say that this would be a "versus" movie. I highly doubt it would be, but I do believe the element of that would be explored. If there was anyone that could find a weakness, it would be Batman. It would be his judgment though as to whether or not it ever got exposed. Remember, Superman didn't in all honesty mop the floor with Zod. He held his own. He had the advantage of knowing his own strengths. Beyond those technicalities, Zod handed Superman a nice beat down during the swinging tides of the fight. Now you'd have Batman, still a man non-the-less, but one just as tactful as Zod if not more for his heightened sense of awareness brought on by his skepticism and paranoia to all things. Batman is borderline psychotic. He has to be to be a man dressed up in bat ears to fight crime at night while managing a billion dollar enterprise and a private life. It would be the perfect catalyst to show how divided humanity is toward the newly outed Man of Steel. In the end, the two powerhouses in their own rights will need each other. Batman would keep Superman tethered to a humane existence. Superman would be the defense the world needs to threats we are neither equipped to handle or aware of. All in all, there is a way to make this film a promising prospect without becoming a buddy film or a ridiculous stand off between a man and a god.

9 months agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

4. rjh094

Superman and Batman is a classic team-up. They're the World's Finest after all. Anywho, I'm looking forward to it. How they handle Batman alongside a powerhouse like Superman will be interesting. Can't wait!

9 months agoby @rjh094Flag

@youngrizo I never found it ridiculous, I found it awesome :I

Anyways, here's a to an adaptation where we can all be happy

9 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

6. Youngrizo

@bawnian-dexeus It's not that I don't want it, it's that, if even when it was done in the cartoon it was ridiculous and we all knew it, in a movie it would stand out that much more as being ridiculous lol

I just want a movie where they get along Batman is a genius and Supes is the muscle lol

9 months agoby @youngrizoFlag

@narrator I've already said I think DC is missing a golden opportunity to establish a lesser-known character (at least in terms of the non-comic book reading majority) such as Flash, so there would be less pressure on that character's film to succeed. But DC didn't do that; they went with Bats and the bank. So, they are teaming up the two characters in their stable that don't need to be teamed up to be established. This is also likely to use both Joker and Lex, meaning that the two villains that do not need to help being established are also being forced fed to the masses. Why? Because they're the "popular" ones. Look, I'm not saying that there should never be a Bats/Supes team up, but when trying to build an expansive universe, shouldn't you try to expand beyond the known entities. The masses know Bats and Supes; they have far less knowledge of Flash, WW, and GL (that film was NOT something to build kknowledge on). I just feel a Supes/Flash team up would work better here, follow it with a Bats reboot, then make JLA, with WW introduced as the focal point (springboarding here and Flash into their own franchises in the process. But, this plan, while possibly better creatively in the long term, just won't get the big profit that a Bats/Supes film will pull. Let's face it, anthing with Bats is going to sell. He connects to the people in a way no other superhero ever has. So DC throws him into the fray as early as possible. Can't blame them, because his seven films have acc*mulated over 3 billion in profits, probably close to 4. So he gwets the nod.

As far as your question, my friend (I apologize for my divergence above; it's been on my mind), well, @Joshua-Hollaway is likely correct that kryptonite will be introduced in this film. When a man is confronted with a vastly superior enemy, he will need that foreign object to level the playing field. Whether it be Bats, Lex, Joker, or any other human, there are only two true weapons to use against Supes: kryptonite, and psychological warfare. It's the green rock, or force him into horrible decisions that you hope will break him mentally. Those are my preliminary thoughts.

9 months agoby @ejk1Flag

@youngrizo Lol, I've been going back and forth to try and respond to that and honestly, I got nothing. Mainly because I'm not here to go all Superman81 on you and convince you of anything without accounting for the full details. If you want it, good, if not, no problem.

9 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

9. Youngrizo

@bawnian-dexeus

And I can't stand any of the lore that is these ridiculously written stories. I hate when people set up a universe with certain rules and then find ways to bend that to make the characters 'cooler'

Batman should not be able to take Supes in a universe where not even Zod can take him

9 months agoby @youngrizoFlag

@youngrizo@narrator To be fair, they will likely go with a Batman that can actually handle himself with metahumans. But, since this will be a first encounter, the idea of them colliding will probably be taken care of when they first meet and Batman will get a clear sense of his power face to face and Supes will not see him as a threat. WIth more films, we might get to see Batman begin his contingency plans. Since kryptonite doesn't exist in this universe at the moment, I can imagine them having Batman reverse engineer the terraforming technology that would have turned Earth into New Krypton. Hell, in Scott Snyder's current Superman Unchained, Batman built a suit that combined with his training can allow him to sneak up on Batman, even with his super hearing and vision. There are boundless possibilities.

Those are my thoughts

9 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

11. Clint

@phatalphd I think you're completely right about the false assumption this is some "versus" flick. Snyder has alluded to how MOS set the stage for other heroes to come out of the shadows and reveal themselves like Clark did leading to the inevitable JLA movie which I think's the right move. Anyone who knows Batman's interactions with the JLA such as in the Doom movie that was great knows Batman doesn't trust superhumans and their powers to behave. So this could just be more foreshadowing of that coming to fruitful completion in a JLA movie, nothing more.

A lot of Comic Con is just teasing the fanboys to peak their interest & drum up an audience as early as possible to judge the buzz. Last I heard, Snyder hadn't even started the scrip for MOS2 so I doubt even he knows how this is going to flesh out. Other than saying that obiousness to fanboys, they're choosing to throw a piece of meat out & see how we all react to it which is natural.

9 months agoby @pack-rulz1978Flag

12. Youngrizo

@narrator@Joshua-Hollaway

I am also not sure how this is gonna work, they grounded MOS in a fair bit of realism, and then added the sci-fi "what if aliens" edge... and then proceeded to show how Clark could pummel ZOD... so Bruce going toe to toe with Clark is a fantasy only die hard bat fans believe is possible.

I like turning off my brain but there's a certain level even the child in me cannot tolerate. I remember seeing The Dark Knight Returns part 2 and hating it cause it is glorified Batman film only built to make him look good. And it's to the point where, if you have to betray the character that Clark is to make Batman look good, you clearly are reaching and it's time to stop trying so hard.

9 months agoby @youngrizoFlag

13. phatalphd

@youngrizo very well put. You sum up my feelings exactly!

9 months agoby @phatalphdFlag

14. phatalphd

I think everyones making the wrong assumption that it'll be a Superman vs Batman movie. Which is never stated. It could easily be a team up movie, which makes more sense. Not sure why people thinking batmans gonna be fighting superman the whole time lol

9 months agoby @phatalphdFlag

15. Tevooo

I think even with the natural theme they got going at DC Batman can still take superman. Batman will always have his intellect and resources on his side and if anyone has seen dark knight returns would agree Batman could stand toe to toe with Superman any day. It's just about who could play him now. Luke Evans is a good choice for a new revamped Batman or really in a dream world they would cast Hugh Jackman

9 months agoby @TevoooFlag

16. Joshua Hollaway

I'm not sure how this will work. But I think Batman is the perfect person to introduce kryptonite, which i assume he will, because of his resources. But if they're gonna keep it "grounded" Bruce wouldn't last 2 seconds with Clark.

9 months agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

17. CoreyB

@justkrisk I agree w/you man...By the time the movie comes out, it will only be 3 years since The Dark Knight Rises...wayy too early for a rebooted character. Maybe Levitt (I want Bale back!) WB would be making a hugggee mistake starting over again. Bale and Cavill would be more successful than Avengers.

9 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

Is no one else curious how this would work, though? They've already shown that this isn't our grandfathers Superman. He's willing to kill, if necessary, though that path will hopefully be further explored in the next installment. Point is, how can a Superman as pumped as MoS's was and without as much of a clean slate not wipe the floor with Batman, who likely will not have killed anyone in the oncoming reboot? That'd make for a very interesting theme. Thoughts @ejk1@bawnian-dexeus?

9 months agoby @narratorFlag

To partially quote Kingsley Shacklebolt, "You gotta admit, [Snyder's] got style."

9 months agoby @narratorFlag

20. JustKrisK

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman. It needs to stay in the DC/Nolan Universe.

9 months agoby @justkriskFlag

21. bruce_ha

I'm not to keen on a Batman vs Superman movie. Since they're going with the whole "nolan" realistic vibe then, naturally, Superman would pulverize Batman in the first scene.

9 months agoby @bruce-haFlag

22. Superman81

@arthurg09 No MOS has made almost 700m in a short time and it has not even come out in Japan. MOS was epic, not to everyone, but it was EPIC. MOS2 with Batman is going to be the stuff legends are made of. Avengers was an epic movie for Marvel even though I didnt feel it was. 2015 is going to be huge for CBM's. I personally feel this movie could give A2 a huge run for its money.

9 months agoby @superman81Flag

23. Darkonefilms Randell

@arthurg09 Don't hate man all the movies are cool even if DC is better....LOL

9 months agoby @Darkonefilms-RandellFlag

24. Youngrizo

@arthurg09

I'm a marvel guy and I'm a big believer in not referring to everything as Epic... but Man of Steel was epic.

The only movie in the Marvel roster that one can really call epic so far is Avengers... and remember I'm a Marvel guy, I love all those movies, but phase 1 did do smaller scale and more 'personal to the character' tones. Chris Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy individually those movies are not epic... but together that is one epic story. The thing that made MOS epic is the scope and the heart it has. It managed to do in one film, what it took 3 Matrix movies to do... what it took 3 Transformers movies to do and what it took 3 Dark Knight movies to do.... all in one film.

Epic
    A long poem, typically derived from oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of...

9 months agoby @youngrizoFlag

25. arthurg09

Will people stop calling things epic? MOS was a very good movie it was not "epic" and saying things like marvel movies are small scale yet IM and the avengers made well over a billion $$$ in a short time frame yet MOS hasn't. And DC is doing everything they can to do what marvel did with that alone it makes marvel epic and DC runner up.

9 months agoby @arthurg09Flag

26. mikehd

I can't wait

9 months agoby @mikehdFlag

27. Sean

@aoshi I did as well :P

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

28. rjh094

I love how epic DC are making their movies. Marvel's individual films are always on a smaller scale. The DC Universe has faced a full on alien invasion already in Man of Steel. Can't wait to see Superman and Batman share the big screen.

9 months agoby @rjh094Flag

29. aoshi

Got goosebumps when the logo appeared.

9 months agoby @aoshiFlag