'Wanted 2' Promises a Shocking Twist Says Director Timur Bekmambetov

The upcoming action film will continue the story of James McAvoy's Wesley Gibson.
Director Timur Bekmambetov says Wanted 2 continues the story of James McAvoy's Wesley Gibson
We haven't heard anything regarding the sequel Wanted 2 since screenwriters Derek Haas and Michael Brandt were hired to tackle the project back in September 2011.

Now, Director Timur Bekmambetov reveals that the project is in fact moving forward, after having to pitch a whole new take on the story.

"An unbelievable thing happened three weeks ago. Because we stopped, we didn't know what to do for three or four years. Three weeks ago I came up with a great idea and I pitched this idea and everybody fell in love with it. And now I think we're on track. Right now the writer is working on the script, and it will be shocking."

The filmmaker also confirms this follow-up will continue the story of James McAvoy's character, Wesley Gibson, although other unspecified cast members from Wanted will not be brought back.

"It's a continuation of the story, with Wesley Gibson. Other people are dead, you know, we can't bring them back. The story is the same character, same mythology, but it's got a great twist."

No production schedule was given for this upcoming sequel, although it seems they are back on the right track.

Wanted 2 is in development and stars James McAvoy. The film is directed by Timur Bekmambetov.

Sources: The Playlist

1. Nick Brown

I loved the movie wanted. Most people I knew thought it wasnt good. I 100% disagree. It was something original. And I have been waiting for the 2nd one to finally show itself. Sounds good to me. My wife and I loved the character Wesley I did a bit more. Thought he was funny, and the way he handled everything was awesome. My sons middle name is Wesley. His first name means white hawk of war. Best name ever! Cant wait for Wanted 2!

10 months agoby @Nick-BrownFlag

2. MediaCritiquer.com

Awesome flick...something 'original' in a world of sequels, prequels and threequels.

12 months agoby @MediaCritiquer-comFlag

Yupp, that's pretty much it, @skywise. Can't wait to see if they incorporate it into the sequel. Here's to crossing my fingers for a solid and enthusiastic script.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator ya know i never played the game but i imagine they must have been pretty close. Black suit with red gogles?

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

About damn time! I didn't expect the first film playing out as well as it did for me. It was thoroughly entertaining and went on to be one of my biggest guilty pleasure films of the past decade. Let's hope this film is up to par on the goods.

@skywise - was his suit in the comics that same suit featured in the game? If so, then I agree that his suit is a must.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

6. Cheetoboy

James McAvoy should be considered a superstar now, he now has both Xmen and the Wanted franchises. I don't know that much about the Wanted Comics, I wonder what type of villain part2 will have.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

7. FrankenFate

"Right now the writer is working on the script, and it will be shocking." ...Shocking? Man I was shocked that someone finally mentioned great news about Wanted 2, for 4 years I was wondering if they were still going to make it.

2 years agoby @frankenfateFlag

8. Ahraman

Glad their sticking with the Wesley Gibson character. McAvoy was surprisingly badass in the first one. Looking forward to seeing his progression as an assassin.

2 years agoby @ahramanFlag

Interesting. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

10. MovieManiac

Hated the first one.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

11. ZanyZap

@cheetoboy It's probably not that hard.

2 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

12. Replicant

Great, bringing back Angelina would have been a huge mistake.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

13. Salemwolf711

Looking forward to this.

2 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

@cheetoboy If anyone can make that happen (bringing in a new badass character) its Timur.

I hope he gets into his suit from the comics. That would be awesome.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

15. Cheetoboy

Yeah Wanted was definitely a great film, its also one of the great examples that an R rated film can do good in the summer. As much as I like Angelina Jolie, it would have been weird to bring her back, just like she strongly said herself "She Died". I hope the sequels will be as great as the first, but How can you top Angelina Jolie's badass character Fox?

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

16. The Knight Has Risen

I loved the first movie and I'm quite curious to see where this one goes.

2 years agoby @thehost91Flag

17. jasdjqs

Awesome, First one is a great movie, watched it four times, lol

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag