'Tron 3' and 'The Black Hole' Updates from Director Joseph Kosinski

The director behind 'Tron: Legacy' and Oblivion} promises that scripts are being written and that the movies are still coming.
The Black Hole is currently being rewritten and will be a complete reboot for Disney
Don't worry, Disney sci-fi lovers. Two of their most beloved genre franchises are still on track with the sequel Tron 3 and the long-awaited remake The Black Hole coming in the near future.

In April, it was announced that Prometheus screenwriter Jon Spaihts was hired to pen a new version of The Black Hole. Tron: Legacy and Oblivion director Joseph Kosinski, who will also helm this massive space epic for Disney, promises that Spaihts is hard at work on the remake. And that a screenplay for Tron 3, which he is also directing, is also in the midst of being hammered out.

"Both projects are being written right now by two really talented writers. Jon Spaihts is writing The Black Hole and Jesse Wigutow is writing Tron 3. Both scripts are in progress, I'm really excited about both. The fundamental ideas of both are really interesting. The Tron sequel kind of takes where we left off with Tron: Legacy, that idea presented in the last few minutes of the film and really expands on it in a really exciting way."

He offered just a tiny little hint at what we can expect from The Black Hole. Apparently, he's not calling it a 'remake'.

"I guess I would call it a reboot because the fundamental concept is there but we are taking it in our own direction."

The original 1979 The Black Hole followed a deep space exploration team that discovers a long lost ship hovering outside of a massive black hole. Upon investigation, they find a crazed scientist and an army of drones who plan to enter the black hole and live to tell the tale. At the time of its release, many looked at the film as Disney's quick attempt to cash in on the Star Wars craze that erupted throughout pop culture two years before. Its not just possible, but very likely, that the The Black Hole neomake will debut alongside Star Wars: Episode VII or one of the many sequels Disney currently has planned, which should be interesting since Disney now owns both properties.

Tron 3 comes to theaters in 2016 and stars Olivia Wilde, Cillian Murphy, Garrett Hedlund, Bruce Boxleitner, Cindy Morgan, Nathan Corddry. The film is directed by Joseph Kosinski.

The Black Hole comes to theaters in 2016. The film is directed by Joseph Kosinski.

1. Sean

I have never heard of the original Black Hole movie. The description about the movie sounds interesting.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. Xenon

I remember seeing the Black hole however I wasn't impressed with the original.
    Both tron films felt hollow, but the effects were great. I just wasn't blown away by Legacy.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

3. CoreyB

@therealGoku I thought Tron Legacy was solid....7/10 for me. I own it I appreciate what they went for...Spectacle and score man. You cant deny the music was great. The movie looks beautiful u know? Oscar worthy effects imo. But not a great movie in any way. They can defff builld and fix the things that were wrong w the one from 2010. Kosinski makes movies that are biggg on a huge scale and I can appreciate that. Oblivion was pretty good too. He is just getting started and I cant wait to see what else he'll bring us.

1 year agoby @CoreyBFlag

4. Zeeman1

Does anyone know if the original Black Hole is available on blue ray?

I have fond childhood memories of that one.

1 year agoby @zeeman1Flag

5. Fry_3000

Hope they keep the two robots in the original black hole, in new version. Still great designs!!

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

The Black Hole was such a strange movie for Disney to put out. Its tone is so off kilter from what you would expect Disney to do and I never really liked it as a kid. But I appreciate what they were trying to do.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

7. ChristinaM15

@therealGoku for me, the music and lights made it lovely. Acting wasn't great, bunch of issues, but...I'm hoping it ends up being more of a "we needed a bridge to reach the third movie" type thing.

1 year agoby @christina-montanaFlag

8. SpaceCowboy

@therealGoku Yeah, it was a dull rehash of the first movie, but I enjoyed somewhat.

1 year agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

9. The Real Goku

Tron legacy was horrible. Colorful lights don't make a movie good..

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

10. Replicant

Excited about Tron 3.

The Black Hole... tried watching the original a few weeks back, didn't like it at all. We'll see about the reboot...

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

11. Celestialforthcoming

Never heard of The Black Hole, I would like to hear more about it.

1 year agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

"long awaited remake..." Right..

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag