'Transformers 3' Officially in the Works!

Paramount and DreamWorks plan a July 1, 2011 release date, but Michael Bay says it's 2012.
Paramount and Dreamworks announced today that Transformers 3 was a go. According to Variety, the studios have given the potential blockbuster a release date of July 1st, 2011.

This is the first official word on Transformers 3. At this time, it could not be confirmed that either director Michael Bay or stars Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox would return to the franchise. At this early date, Transformers 3 has no direct competition for the July 4th weekend, 2011.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen is set to hit theater screens this summer on June 24th, 2009.

UPDATE: (3/17/09 9:45 AM PST) Director Michael Bay has posted a brief message on his
message boards about the new release date for Transformers 3 and it seems he's aiming for 2012.

I said I was taking off a year from Transformers. Paramount made a mistake in dating Transformers 3 - they asked me on the phone - I said yes to July 4 - but for 2012 - whoops! Not 2011!!! That would mean I would have to start prep in September. No way. My brain needs a break from fighting robots.

Michael

We'll be sure to keep you posted on any release date or other developments for Transformers 3 as soon as more information comes in.

Sources: Variety, ShootForTheEdit.com

1. Nyfresh

it might b a lil early to start but..
    TRANSFORMER 3 BEST MOVIE OF 2012

5 years agoby @leo16Flag

2. Nyfresh

def some good new, i love anything micheal does

5 years agoby @leo16Flag

3. GK

HELL YEAH!!!!!!
    I don't care what date.

5 years agoby @indianajonesFlag

4. Solar XI

I'm not to familiar with Darren Aronofsky. The original trilogy is better, III was a bit too much for me. It's just so much sh*t in that one it takes a bit to adjust to.

Watchmen, as I said before, should not have a sequel. That would be difficult on so many levels. The prequel I honestly do think would be cool (at this point-I'm going to forget anyway).

I'm still standing for a Bad Boys 3.

5 years agoby @solarxiFlag

5. -comrade-

If they remade Star Wars, I would want Darren Aronofsky to do them. I know it's nerd blasphemy to talk about such things, but if it's going to happen I want it done correctly.

The problem is, I,II, and III sucked balls, and I basically just want the thing to die before Lucas can f*ck it up more.

No prequel for Watchmen. You get one shot at one story, and Zack had his. He will probably be the last person to get that chance. It's too bad he pulled a Zack Snyder on it.

5 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

6. T.Clark

No prequel, no sequel, no nothing for Watchmen

5 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

7. Solar XI

Well it's a good spread. Hopefully it won't be sh*t. Most third installments are never as good as the original or sequel (Ocean's 13, Spider-Man 3, Batman Forever-just my opinion). A lot of sequels and prequels are being made.

Does anyone really care for the "I Am Legend" prequel, the first was good but who knows. I read about a sequel for "The Departed", it's supposed to revolve around Wahlberg's character. "300" sequel? Maybe. "Watchmen 2", hell to the f*ckin' no. A Watchmen movie without Rorschach is a waste of time, although a prequel with Nite Owl and Rorschach's partnership would be cool. I also read something about remaking the Star Wars IV, V and VI so it will become sequels to I, II and III.

I would like to see a Transformers 3, maybe introduce Dinobots (if not already in ROTF). Maybe get some new actors. Aside from that Michael Bay needs to find Will Smith and Martin Lawrence for a third "Bad Boys" film. Any suggestions?

5 years agoby @solarxiFlag

8. T.Clark

Movie Mage: Actually, Zack Snyder is willing to do a 300 sequel as long as Frank Miller is attached in some way...I think. But he will have no part in a Watchmen sequel/Hollywood f*ck up.

It's giant f*cking robots. Go with it. It has a decent story...did you expect it to be complex?

5 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

9. Clockworkcookie

holy crap, that was fast... O_o I agree with a part of what Movie Mage says, but I guess it's very tempting for the studios to make sequels to successful movies... Personally I enjoyed the first Transformers movie a lot for what it is, mindless fun, but too much of it is enough.

5 years agoby @clockworkcookieFlag

10. MOVIE MAGE

Boy, talk about milking the teat of a highly successful franchise. Some people are so quick to capitalize. At least there are some directors, like Zack Snyder, who are content with not making sequels to 300 or Watchmen. Sometimes, too much of a good thing will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Perfect example: Spider-man 3. Sometimes it's better to live and let die, or should I say, leave and let die. Just let sleeping dogs lie, especially the Transformers series.

Sorry people, and don't go up in arms for this, but isn't Transformers more flash than storyline? I mean, the film is dominated by special effects, and has no plot. And it relied on jarring and jerky camera movements as well as realistic visual effects (what a paradox) to make it seem dazzling and awe-inspiring.

Almost everything in the film is for VISUAL enjoyment. Examples: Megan Fox, big budget visual effects, jerky camera movements, and disorienting cinematography.

I haven't seen The Rock, but the only Michael Bay film that remotely interested me was The Island, which I thought was quite good for what it was. A true dystopia/1984/Brave New World/ Logan's Run film if I ever saw one.

All in all, this is a perfect example of How To Make A Quick Buck In Hollywood 101.

But Mr. Bay is correct in some respect. We all need a little break from fighting robots.

I know the fighting robots of Transformers will never amount to anything that Pixar did with Wall-E, a movie about robots in love. Go figure that.

5 years agoby @moviemageFlag

11. Justice23

if this is for sure a trilogy than my predictions from the comments i left on the super bowl trailer could be a possibility

5 years agoby @justice23Flag

12. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

got that right. can never b sure bout a popular franchise trilogy. ne 1 remember the pirates an matrix crummy sequels?

5 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

13. Jefferson4300

While 2012 looks interesting alittle
    like The Avengers, maybe The Jetsons, probably Pirates of the Caribbean 4, The Hobbit 2 and others

oh yeah and of course Transformers 3

5 years agoby @jefferson4300Flag

14. darksektor1971

agreed with the vampir

5 years agoby @darksektor1971Flag

15. ZanyZap

Oh well. I agree with Vamp.

5 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

16. 6name6less6

Good, you dont want bay to make the same mistakes many directors do and rush into a 3rd film

5 years agoby @6name6less6Flag

17. CB Junior

im not surprised...cant wait for for Revenge

5 years agoby @cbjuniorFlag

18. Vamp

Well, I'll wait to see the second one before I decide to be excited for the next one. I won't be let down, I don't think, but you can never be too sure, you know. LOLZ!

5 years agoby @vampire2000Flag

19. David-Dvd-1988

Its a pity but you could hardly blame him for taking some time off!

5 years agoby @david-dvd-1988Flag

20. LEO: Lord Epsilon Omega

Not surprised at all. But still awesome in every way! :-)

5 years agoby @epsalonFlag

21. AnnoyingFilmCritic

I don't think some people got my sarcasm...Transformers3 is a no brainer...maybe I'll start using asterisks.

5 years agoby @annoyingfilmcriticFlag

22. Draktyr

Great news! :)

5 years agoby @draktyrFlag

23. killahmovieisbak

this makes more sense then we know bay will get his way there's no way he does'nt and if shia is not busy playing Robin (LMAO!!!!j/k) im sure he will be back

5 years agoby @killahmovieisbakFlag

24. Transformers89

Bay just said on his website that he wants a 2012 release dates. He said he even talk to paramount about it.

5 years agoby @transformers89Flag

25. Err

not even remotely surprised to hear this.
    i have a feeling the sequel may have one of them there cliffhanger endings like the end of the second potc movie.

5 years agoby @err2005Flag

26. Shelley

Look forward to it.

5 years agoby @shelleyFlag

27. JJHOLLAWAY

I agree Unicron ftw =)

5 years agoby @jjhollawayFlag

28. Diaigma

Bring on Unicron!

5 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

29. black-moon

I seriously agree with slim...it all depends on Micheal Bay...cause it really depends on his ideas to perfect the robots to make'em real!

And i agree with,ikilledbill2wice,i miss Bernie Mack...it was my second favorite part..i really like when Megatron tore up Jazz.

5 years agoby @black-moonFlag