Topher Grace Is No Longer 'Venom'

The talent actor speaks out on the unlikely chance that he will return to the role of the popular 'Spider-Man' villain.
Topher Grace is no longer Venom
Topher Grace is no longer Venom
Fans of the popular Spider-Man comics' villain, Venom, were excited when they heard that he would be one of the antagonists in Spider-Man 3 but the luke-warm reaction from fans after the movie was released left much doubt that the character would ever be seen on celluloid again. However, much to everyone's surprise, Marvel Studios founder Avi Arad announced in summer of 2007 that a spin-off featuring the character was in the works. Writer Jacob Aaron Estes was first commissioned to draft a script but after the studio rejected it, Zombieland writers Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese were brought on to write the screenplay. Wernick and Reese turned in two drafts of their script and the studio decided to push forward by bringing in Seabiscuit writer/director Gary Ross to do a rewrite and possibly direct the film.

But the obvious question still remains, will Topher Grace, the actor who originated the role in Spider-Man 3, reprise his part in the upcoming spin-off? Grace is of course, best known for playing Eric Forman for almost eight-years on the popular Fox TV series, That '70s Show, as well as films like Traffic and In Good Company. We recently had the opportunity to catch up with the busy actor and asked him if returning to the role of Venom was something that he was interested in doing? "Um, I don't know? You know, I guess," replied Grace reluctantly. We continued by asking if he had been approached at all by producers or the studio about appearing in the film? "I don't know, I haven't heard anything," he said. So just to be clear, at this time you don't plan on appearing in the film, we followed up by asking. "No, I don't think so," answered Grace. So there you have it, Grace has no intentions, right now, of returning to the part, which has been said will be more of an anti-hero than a killer or villain in the new film. The film is set for a 2012 release and will be produced by Disney Studios as part of their resent headline-making acquisition of Marvel Entertainment.

Venom is in development .

Sources: Jami Philbrick

1. Masta_Chiefed

Like Ive said on this site before, cillian murphy is a perfect carnage cast, but I doubt Disney is that wise... I agree Topher needed more bass in his voice, but he is a good actor.
    Btw movieweb blogger guy, stop w/ the teaset tabloid headline strategy. Sounds like u caught T.grace half baked leaving a starbucks or something. Journalism school really paying off.

4 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

2. Baltar24

Dominic Purcell should be Venom

4 years agoby @baltar24Flag

3. MAN OF TOMORROW

4 years agoby @cassanova88Flag

Well Topher was an okay choice but his voice and his story wise character was so underdeveloped and such. But I don't want a really big buff guy to do the role. Personally, (thanks geek) I would love for Cillian Murphy to be Venom. I didn't think of it before but if he bulked up (screw being super huge) he would be perfect for this new look and feel of venom or as we see later on Anti-Venom. Bring in Mac Gargan make him huge and be the baddy. Tadah.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

5. Warhawk613

"We recently had the opportuinty to catch up with the "busy" actor" ok what movies did he star in after Spiderman 3 lol

4 years agoby @warhawk613Flag

6. B. Alan Orange

He looks too much like Tobey McGuire anyway.

4 years agoby @balanorangeFlag

7. T.Clark

It wasn't Topher that was the problem, it was the dreadful screenplay.

However, for this spin-off movie to work, it's best he doesn't return.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

8. Cripple

Why would he be even considered to reprise this role? Why is this news?

4 years agoby @crippleFlag

9. Xenon

I like Grace but not his whinny voice. If he didn't speak he'll do fine.
    Let's back up a few steps to get a better look at the whole picture, Spiderman used the metal to help Brock get free of Venom but he didn't want his help since he was fine to begin with. Eddy jumped into the trap and we saw nothing left, we assume both characters died. Did they really die? Or is that what Raimi wants us to believe for the time being.
    I wouldn't care less if Venom and Eddy didn't die, Grace was out of his league when he went in for the part. He must have slept with someone to get it. Some of these actors do that to get parts.
    As of this film, this is all conjecture at the moment, is Grace really gone for good to be replaced by a better actor. I sure hope so.
    The only way to have a Venom film if it was an R rated film, almost a horror film sort of type. Venom believes that he's doing justice when he kills, the antihero aspect but he's really a killer by heart.
    He blames Parker for so much and yet the character doesn't admit to himself that he's the one making the decisions. Blame someone else for their own mistakes.
    A film on this caliber, would be an eye opener if it was done right but Venom always shows up to ruin Spidermans day or vise versa. It would be interesting to see crossovers in the future where they keep bumping into each other.
    The first two Spiderman films were awesome and I did like 3 a little less. I just get annoyed when villians are killed off when in the comic's they keep meeting each other which deepens the hero villain relationship.
    That's the whole point in Spiderman or any other Superhero film, their there to entice and make problems for the heroes not be killed off at a whim.

Hero meets villain, villain tries to discourage hero, important villain dies.

Hollywood get a brain and do it right, I want to see these villains return to torment our heroes. It's why they keep returning.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Diaigma

I didn't mind him either, but I wouldn't mind someone else :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

11. DarkTower19

I don't mind Topher Grace, but he was definitely no Venom and certaintly not Eddie Brock. Also, Venom isn't really an antihero. He's pretty much just a villain. The only times he ever helped out Spider-Man was because they had a mutual enemy who was more powerful than him. That doesn't really make him an antihero. Would they try to make him into an antihero in a movie or would they have the balls to portray him as a killer?

4 years agoby @darktower19Flag

12. ed_wood

Agreed, best news ever.

4 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

13. Newkill3000

Greatest news EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

14. SpideR-OnE

Maby Venom and Carnage.
    Frankly, if Venom had to be modeled a bit on TV (Spider-Man: The Animated Series) Topher Grace is a fit to be the Carnage, and Venom should be play for someone a bit more muscular eg Bill Goldberg or Steve Austin or someone similar in terms of physical but a younger man.

4 years agoby @spider-oneFlag

15. GeekStar

I was one of those whom were none to thrilled about this jackass being cast as Venom.There are so many other actors that are talented enough to have really portrayed Venom as the monster he truly is.

Take Daniel Cudmore for example.He played the Colossus(sorry if I mispelled the name)in the second X-men film if I'm not mistaken.He's a fairly big guy and I've seen him in a couple of other movies where I thought his acting was pretty good.He would have made a better Eddie Brock/Venom than Topher Grace.

To get off subject.My pick of villain for Spider-Man 4 would have to be Mysterio.And to play Mysterio.My pick to portray that particular villain would be Cillian Murphy.

4 years agoby @vendetta28Flag

16. JoniTsunami

Nobody ever liked this douch. Ever since that 70s show his attitude was way off, and in spiderman he was just more c*cky and assy. thank god he's gone...

4 years agoby @jonitsunamiFlag

17. Chad Vital

Btw the whole people were excited when he was casted for Venom, no, they weren't. I don't even know where you got that from lol, it's so incorrect it's actually funny. This is a fact too, not an mere opinion. He WAS NOT ideal to A LOT of people, before release and after of course.

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

18. Chad Vital

Movieweb, you really need to work on your topic headline lol. This isn't confirmed at all. You could at least do the whole question mark thing you normally do when it's unconfirmed or just a rumor. It should be "Topher Grace No Longer Venom?". Seriously, a monkey could easily put the right title on it. Why is this so hard? It's getting annoying guys, fix the problem or look dumb, your choice.

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

19. Null and Void.

"We recently had the opportunity to catch up with the busy actor and..."

I thought that was funny.

4 years agoby @soylentgreenFlag

20. Goliath

Good! He was a terrible choice! I feel bad though, cause I'm sure he knows the fans hated him!

4 years agoby @goliathFlag

21. The Boondock Saint

ive lost all of my spiderman buzz after seeing that third film, i dont know about this. well, of course im SUPER RELIVED that grace isnt playing venom, thank the lord!! but i just am not happy about this movie in general. well, this could be really bad ass, but it could also be HORRRRRRIBLE1! but im interested in seeing how this turns out, im just waiting for some casting, and i really want to hear about the plot.

4 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

22. GK

YES! God helped us all.

4 years agoby @indianajonesFlag

23. CelluloidDreams

SO!??!

4 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

24. Batman Rules !!!

Ummm that douche and raimi already f-cked up venom. Wish james cameron wouldve taken that movie instead of that fruit cake

4 years agoby @the-fallenFlag