Tony Scott Diagnosed with Inoperable Brain Cancer Before His Suicide

The filmmaker took his own life yesterday afternoon by jumping from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, California.
Director Tony Scott was diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer before his suicide

UPDATE: 08.20.2012 - 6:00pm
According to Tony Scott's wife, Donna W. Scott, the director did not have brain cancer as previously reported. Click Here! for the full story.

Original story:
Last night, we reported the shocking news that director Tony Scott committed suicide yesterday afternoon, by jumping from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, California. Today, we have new information that the filmmaker was recently diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer.

It isn't known when he received this diagnosis. An autopsy is set to be performed today. Witnesses saw the filmmaker get out of his Toyota Prius parked on the bridge and scale a 10-foot fence before jumping. A suicide note was later recovered, although the contents of that note were not revealed.

Tony Scott was 68 years old at the time of his death. We will bring you more information about his tragic death when the autopsy results are revealed. The director is survived by his wife, Donna W. Scott, and his twin sons.

Sources: ABC News

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx You're too good to be written off anyways :)

2. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- If you say so, buddy. ;)

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Shut up, and move on.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

4. Brian

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Obviously you're clueless to the fact that there is a huge staff here at the site. If other admins feel you're abusing other users, that's on you. You really think what you were dishing out so insightful and impactful that someone had to delete your comments but "you got me" so good? Come on. Don't let that ego get out of control. At the same time, this conversation is now officially a waste of time. Last warning from me here.... bad mouth me, any other admin, or any other user again, and you're gone.

2 years agoby @brianFlag

5. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Dude, I like you on this site a lot... Don't get yourself booted man... seriously... There are those of us on here who do value your opinions and love to discuss things with you on all of our pages... don't attack @brian and get kicked off of here

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

6. Brian

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx First of all. What are you talking about? Second of all, using profanity against an admin in a comment like you just did is a sure fire way to get yourself banned.

2 years agoby @brianFlag

As I have told friends and family, if I were to get a disease such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's, I would ride it out until the breakdown's became more frequent. Then, I would seek a way to end my life as peacefully as possible. I hope it never comes to that moment, but if it does, I will go out on my own terms.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

8. Brian

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx He died like a man, my friend. More manly than any of us will go out. Dying in a hospital bed isn't admirable. It's sad. Choosing to go out the way you wanna go out = Admirable.

2 years agoby @brianFlag

9. Brian

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Plus, I hardly think jumping from one of the largest bridges in southern CA is anything but easy. You wouldn't do it. Neither would I.

2 years agoby @brianFlag

10. thedude-abides

@felipe-11 Agreed. I detest suicide, but I would never presume to know another man's situation better than he. Just sad all the way around.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

11. Replicant

@thedude-abides no cheeky subtext, you obviously have a valid point, and people obviously overcome all kinds of diseases but I'm just assuming that he DID talk to his doctor about his chances, and probably decided to go that way. Either way, it was his choice.

I'm just sad because in a world of sh*tty directors, we lost a good one this weekend.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

12. thedude-abides

@felipe-11 I'll forego the pleasantries and assume that was an honest comment holding no cheeky subtext whatsoever. That notwithstanding, I never said he didn't do his homework. Please don't misconstrue what I said by thinking that's what I meant, because it's not what I meant, nor was it what I said. I was merely highlighting the fact that I did my homework, however light in comparison to Scott's undoubted expertise in regard to the subject.

I'm not going to judge the guy for taking his life. It's not my life, and, quite frankly, I could give a f*ck. Perhaps he didn't want his wife and kids to remember him in his remaining years as he struggled with his condition; I don't know. I'm not here to get into the guy's head and play gypsy with my traveling caravan and crystal ball. But it was important to point out what I pointed out in my initial comment because it was a valid point coming from a unique and informed perspective and needed to be said given some of the comments that have been uttered thus far in regard to the subject. Either way and like I said, I could give a f*ck.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

13. Replicant

@brian All true, all true.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

14. Brian

@felipe-11@the-movieghost In my head at this point, to me it just makes him more of badass. He went out his way, and not the way some terminal illness was going to dictate he should go. I live 15 minutes from the bridge he jumped from and I have to say, the bridge is gigantic and extremely high up in the air. It'd be the equivalent of jumping from some skyscraper or something. He created amazing intense actioon-packed films, and he went out the same way, telling cancer to f*ck off as he went. Respect.

2 years agoby @brianFlag

15. the MovieGhost

@felipe-11@thedude-abides At least one would hope he did so.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

16. SherlockHolmes2009

@the-movieghost Agreed, if he wanted to go like that then so be it

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

17. Replicant

@brian looks like you were right!

@thedude-abides I'm sure he did his homework thoroughly before deciding to leave his wife and kids behind.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

18. Escapist

I was thinking something like this was the reason why he ended his life. It seemed weird that a 68 year old man would out of the blue commit suicide.

2 years agoby @escapistFlag

19. the MovieGhost

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Yeah. It was his life and his decision. While not particularly peaceful, it was how he wanted to go.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

20. Nicholaus XX

@the-movieghost -- You respect his decision?

Needless to say, I'm shocked.

Rest in peace, Tony Scott..

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

21. CUPID

Suicide is still wrong.

2 years agoby @cupidFlag

22. empath86

this is definitely not a joke right?

2 years agoby @empath86Flag

23. thedude-abides

After doing some research on brain cancer and learning that, depending on the severity of the diagnosis, it isn't necessarily fatal (or at least not right away), I'm shocked at the outcome of these events. I would never judge a man for anything, much less something as serious and as dire as deciding to take his own life, but one can't help but ponder the possibility that perhaps this wasn't the best course of action for someone to take, given the circ*mstance and the party concerned. Shocking is all I can say.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

24. TheDude1

Now is makes more sense why he ended his own life. Still sad and wrong but a disease like that is hard to fight.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

25. the MovieGhost

@brian@mcleve02 As soon as I saw the Title I remembered what he said the other day. Not sure if that's how I'd want to go out, but I respect Tony's decision nonetheless.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

26. THE JOKER

@brian You called it... very sad... You will be missed Sir Scott!!!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag