Tom Welling Eyes Marvel Superhero for Next Project

The actor may also star in 'Quartermain', reuniting with 'Smallville' creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar.
Tom Welling may move from DC to Marvel
Tom Welling may move from DC to Marvel
Actor Tom Welling will make his final appearance as the DC Comics character Clark Kent on the CW series Smallville this Friday, May 13. It seems the actor wants to take on another superhero role after his 10-year stint as Superman. Ironically, the actor is said to be on Marvel's radar for one of their fuure comic book adventures.

It isn't known which Marvel title the studio is looking at Tom Welling for, although there are planned adaptations of Doctor Strange, Runaways, and Deathlok on the horizon. Tom Welling was also in the running for the Huntsman in Snow White and the Huntsman, although Chris Hemsworth accepted the role, which we reported yesterday.

There is also the possibility that Tom Welling may reunite with Smallville creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar with the Quartermain reboot they're producing.

We reported just under a year ago that Sam Worthington was attached to star, although that does not seem to be the case anymore. It isn't known if Alfred Gough and Miles Millar have offered the role to Tom Welling, although insiders suggest they are "keen" on working with him again.

Quartermain was released in 2012 and stars Sam Worthington.

Sources: What's Playing

1. Xenon

@remy72883 he helped to produce another TV show but it didn't do so well. As of acting I found him better in Smallville than anything else.
    I would like to see him in Arrow but not as Clark.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

2. Remy72883

i have to admit i am very bummed out right now, its been years and we have seen nothing tom welling, i fear he has been type casted i still hold firm to what i said before, i believe he is a very talented and underated actor and i hope one day we can see him again, right now i myself am looking into college to pursure my dream hopefully down the line i will be able to work with this very talented younge man and show the world yet again he should not be taken lightly

2 years agoby @remy72883Flag

3. Remy72883

WELL I WAS SAD TO SEE IT GO BUT I HAVE NO DOUBT THIS WILL NOT ME THE LAST WE SEE OF TOM WELLING, best show ever made period

3 years agoby @remy72883Flag

4. CUPID

@remy72883 Totally agree.
    @lane1 Thanks

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

@jptheredskull I actually watch the show (awesome btw) but I never pictured her for the role.

6. J.P.

@bawnian-dexeus Yeah. If you watch The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon like I do, you'd know she's perfect for the role should they put that version of Wasp in the movies. That version of Wasp in college age (18-21; not specified) and is reckless and energetic in conrast to the more mature and logical thinker, however sometimes scientifically distacted, Hank Pym (who I think Welling could pull off great.)

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

7. J.P.

@remy72883 Yeah. Tom Welling is underrated as an actor.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

8. Ownsin

@remy72883 I agree with you 100%!

3 years agoby @ownsinFlag

9. Remy72883

i cant wait to see what the future hold for tom welling, i know im gonna cry like a bitch come Friday when the show ends, 10 years of nothing but good times, if i had control which i don't he would have defiantly been the next superman, in my opinion best Clark Kent ever no disrespect to Mr reeve's because he brought the man of steel to the big screen that is legendary but we got to see more of the Clark Kent story with this show than ever before, man am i gonna miss Smallville in my opinion best show ever created, but i look forward to what lies ahead for Tom Welling such a GIFTED actor

3 years agoby @remy72883Flag

10. Lane

Love your avatar, BTW @cupid.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

11. Lane

Sweet! :)

The more often he sticks around, the better.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

@ignitedspade I wasn't sure to comment that myself, but glad you think so too :)

13. ignitedspade

He would play a good Shazam! to be honest.

3 years agoby @ignitedspadeFlag

Would be fun to see Welling as DD, but he can do much more than a blind man

15. Brainiac

i like the ellen page suggestion but i just can't see him as hank pym. if Renner weren't already Hawkeye maybe Hawkeye. or Wonderman could work. the hero wil probably be someone out of left field like Moon Knight. oh sh*t they r rebooting Daredevil...man the possibilities.

3 years agoby @thebdFlag

This is an interesting development...

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@jptheredskull Ellen Page? For Wasp?

18. J.P.

@thebd I'd rather him play Hank Pym in the Ant-Man movie opposite Ellen Page as Janet Van Dyne/Wasp (based on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes's college age Janet) and Zachary Levi as Scott Lang/Ant-Man 2.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

19. Brainiac

just noticed it, that picture just above this to the right where he has a popped collar, that picture with facial hair and it is Dr. Strange, sorry had to throw that out there.

3 years agoby @thebdFlag

20. Brainiac

Dr. Strange, all the way. look at that picture of him and just add facial hair and style the hair a bit more and he is a young Dr. Strange. I'd be super hyped if he played Dr. Strange.

3 years agoby @thebdFlag

21. Superman81

I think this is a good move for him. I hope he can play a well known Marvel hero. I know he will always be Clark but since he can't play Superman maybe his career could stay within DC as well. I think Tom is a good actor and I look forward to his success.

3 years agoby @superman81Flag

22. CUPID

Hope his career keeps getting better he deserves it, but he will always be known as Clark.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

I wonder which hero it will be

24. RojoDiablo

Good news for Welling and Marvel. Looking forward to hearing more about this!

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

25. J.P.

@bawnian-dexeus I know right? Welling is truly becoming a legend in the comic adaptation genre.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

Wow, glad to see he has a future with Marvel :)