Tim Burton Wants to Direct Both 'Beetlejuice 2' and 'Miss Peregrine'

The filmmaker was looking to drop out of 'Home for Peculiar Children' to make the sequel. However, now he is shifting his scheduled to do both films.
Tim Burton may return to direct Beetlejuice 2
Tim Burton may return to direct Beetlejuice 2
We haven't heard much regarding Beetlejuice 2 since screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith revealed in March that he had begun writing the script. Today, we have word that Beetlejuice director Tim Burton is looking to return for the sequel.

The filmmaker was considering dropping out of the adaptation Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last week, so he could make the sequel. However, now the director has shifted his schedule to accommodate both movies, although it isn't known when production may start on either one.

Back in 2011, Seth Grahame-Smith and co-writer David Katzenberg revealed they had Tim Burton's blessing to work on the remake. The director also revealed in January 2012 that he was interested in coming back to direct.

Michael Keaton was in talks to return as the title character last February, but it isn't known if his deal was ever finalized or not. The unidentified source at Schmoes Know also hears that the finished script is really good, but no story details have been revealed.

Beetlejuice 2 is in development and stars Michael Keaton. The film is directed by Tim Burton.

Sources: Schmoes Know

1. Sean

@CoreyB I couldn't agree more!

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. CoreyB

@themoviefanatic Yeah...no Keaton no sequel...thats a given

9 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

3. Sean

@ejk1 I don't think its a bad thing that those movies are getting sequels. I'm sure here are fans that have wanted a sequel to them for quite some time. I mean hell, I've been wanting to see a sequel to Beetlejuice for quite some time. As for this movie and Dumb and Dumber and Ghostbuster, at least the original cast is going to be in those movies and isn't going to end up like a non-sequel sequel like those movies Son of the Mask, or like Ace Ventura Jr Pet Detective, or Dumb and Dumberer, etc.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

I honestly don't care. I would have enjoyed a Beetlejuice sequel fifteen, twenty years ago, but now it's just no different than Jim Carrey going back to Dumb and Dumber, or Dan Akroyd basically forcing, or in Murray's case, guilting, people back to Ghostbusters. They've seen their stars fall a bit, and they are reaching back to their glory days for one more shot at the big time. This isn't the 20th Century anymore. I think it's time to let go.

9 months agoby @ejk1Flag

5. Sean

@xenon56 Yeah, We can't have Beetle juice movie with out Michael Keaton.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

6. Sean

@gumperman Oh, I see.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. Xenon

Tim hasn't worked with Michael in a long time, he needs to rectify that. I sure hope Michael comes back, he's Beetlejuice.

9 months agoby @xenon56Flag

8. gumperman

@themoviefanatic Burton won't be working on the screenplay, he'll just direct it. As it says above, Seth Grahame-Smith and co-writer David Katzenberg revealed they had Tim Burton's blessing to work on the remake and then Seth Grahame-Smith revealed in March that he had begun writing the script. So it sounds like it's all finished being written if Burton is looking to return for the sequel as they say and 'the finished script is really good'. Just have to wait now to hear if Burton is really going to get this off the ground and if Keaton will return as the ghost with the most. ;)

9 months agoby @gumpermanFlag

9. Aryaza

Bring it.

9 months agoby @aryazaFlag

10. Sean

@gumperman Yeah, If he can make the second Beetlejuice movie as good as the first one, I wonder what story he has come up with for it. I think he may be in the process of writing the script, or he wrote it already but I am not sure. It does say in the article above, that the script is really good.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. gumperman

@themoviefanatic I am too! It almost seems like Burton is getting back to his roots with making Frankenweenie into a full length feature and now possibly directing a sequel to Beetlejuice. Also, he's doing Big Eyes, which was written by the same two writers who did Ed Wood. I'm hoping his next step, in keeping in getting back to his roots like it seems he's doing, if he does direct the two movies mentioned in this arcticle, that maybe he'll direct a movie that is from his own original story ala Edward Scissorhands. I would love to see another original Burton idea like Edward Sissorhands & The Nightmare Before Christmas. I guess we already kind of did with Frankenweenie, but we already knew the short, so I'm hoping for something we've never heard of before. I'm sure he has more original ideas up his sleeve. :)

9 months agoby @gumpermanFlag

12. Brianna Loftis

Watch Tim Burton just f*ck us all and have Johnny Depp do Beetlejuice. I will destroy them both and forever give up on TB.

9 months agoby @Brianna-LoftisFlag

13. thedude-abides

@skywise There's always Robin Thicke, lol.

9 months agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

14. ed_wood

He must do both.

9 months agoby @ed-woodFlag

15. Brizzy

Is this a miracle`?

9 months agoby @BrizzyFlag

16. Sean

@gumperman I really hope it does work out. I would really like to see another Beetlejuice movie. Its be since 1988 that first movie came out, and I've always wanted to see a sequel to Beetlejuice ever since I first watch it in the early 1990's. I'm really looking forward to it!

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

17. gumperman

Sounds awesome! 2 new Burton films in a short release span is always good news. And agreed @skywise@themoviefanatic No Keaton, no need for a Beetlejuice sequel really. Can't wait for Keaton in another Burton film if this all comes works out. :)

9 months agoby @gumpermanFlag

18. Xenon

@therealGoku Beetlejuice came out in the 1980's and I hope Michael comes back.

9 months agoby @xenon56Flag

19. The Real Goku

There will be Keaton for sure. I just can't help but to think they are maybe 75 years too late with this sequel lol

9 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

20. Sean

@skywise I couldn't agree more! No Keaton, no Beetlejuice. So, Hopefully Michael Keaton returns for it!

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

For Burton to switch his schedule up like that must mean he really likes the script. Lets just hope they can get Keaton back.

No Keaton, no Beetlejuice.

9 months agoby @skywiseFlag