'The Wolverine' Is a Foreign Language Superhero Drama Says James Mangold

The director has compared Hugh Jackman's upcoming sequel to 'Chinatown' and 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'.
The Wolverine will be in line with Chinatown and Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wolverine will be in line with Chinatown and Outlaw Josey Wales
It's unclear if director James Mangold is trying to offer hope or rile up ire with his latest comments about Hugh Jackman's impending sequel The Wolverine. In one breath, he is calling it, "a foreign-language superhero drama." Which is on the verge of sounding a bit dry. Then, he goes onto compare the movie to two great classics, The Outlaw Josey Wales and Chinatown, which sounds quite exciting.

So, which is it? Is James Mangold planning to turn one of the most popular mutant franchises of all time into an Art House sleeper that doesn't play well on a Friday night? Or is he planning one of the greatest Western-mystery-superhero genre flicks ever concocted? Well, he hopes for the latter.

This is what the Knight and Day and 3:10 to Yuma director had to say about taking on the Marvel property for 20th Century Fox.

"You could actually just tell a story about this amazing character from the start, just the way they do when you really read a comic. You don't have to spend the first hour saying how they were born; you can actually just find them in an emotional space, in the middle of action, and what happens is you're not crowded with cutting to nine other action heroes."

James Mangold admits that he was very apprehensive about taking on the film once Darren Aronofsky dropped out, but he has since talked it over with the Black Swan director.

"I spoke to Darren a bit about it before I ended up taking it on. But I will tell you that when Darren stepped off, I was in the middle of doing a lot of other things, and when it was brought up to me, I actually didn't even consider it...Several months went by and I hadn't even really read it, and later when they came back to me and I kind of took it in, and a lot of that hand-wringing had kind of died down. What I saw was some really promising material, and to me an interesting character played by a great friend of mine who's a terrific actor, Hugh Jackman."

The director then went onto speak more about why he actually wanted to take on the project.

"Part of the reason I'm doing this picture is because it isn't a conventional superhero movie. It isn't an origin story, so I'm freed from that burden, and it also isn't a save-the-world movie, which most of them are. It's actually a character piece; I actually think it has more in common with The Outlaw Josey Wales and Chinatown, what we're doing, than the conventional, 'will Wolverine and his compatriots save the world from this thermonuclear device' question. It's an adventure following such a unique character in a really unique environment. The fact that half of the characters speak Japanese, this is like a foreign-language superhero movie. It's as much a drama and a detective story and a film noir, with high-octane action as it is anything like a conventional tentpole film. This movie is much more an intense psychological and action-packed character piece, that's much more about Logan getting lost in this very unique and insulated world of Japanese culture, gangster culture, and ninja culture," he said. "The fighting is going to be unique because it's all influenced by Japanese martial arts."

To read more with James Mangold: Click Here!

The Wolverine was released July 26th, 2013 and stars Hugh Jackman, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima, Hiroyuki Sanada, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Brian Tee, Hal Yamanouchi, Will Yun Lee. The film is directed by James Mangold.

Sources: Indiewire

1. Xenon

I hate this title, Wolverine isn't a superhero. he's a mutant that kills and I can't believe some people. This character isn't meant for kids

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

2. Nautical

Hahaha Last Samurai poster with Wolverine face photoshopped in. Nice

2 years agoby @nautical05Flag

3. dillonyewjew

If this movie is made in Japanese it will loose money. No doubt.

2 years agoby @dillonyewjewFlag

4. Worth5Bucks

lol terrible picture

2 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

5. Nicholaus XX

Intriguing, very, very intriguing.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

Haven't been on in a while. I'm surprised Mangold was officially picked to take the project on (I still would've preferred Edward Zwick), but so long as he channels the talent he put into 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line, versus what he gave us with Knight and Day and Girl Interrupted, I think the script and the actors should help to shoulder the burden of the film.

As for what he's saying about the film, I think it's great and I'm all for it. Several people have already started picking apart his statement, and quoting it totally out of context. While it's amusing, it's also quite obnoxious, as they're just clearly looking for a reason to rag than seeing his point as a whole. Tut, tut.

And as for everyone wanting them to start filming already, no rush, folks. I want them to take their time and actually make this work. I'm not sure how Japan is fairing at the moment, or even how much that all affects production, but I'm sure a little more off-time before production kicks is won't hurt. Can't wait.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

7. Cozmo2525

I'm sorry, but this movie actually doesn't sound good. Because I'm a die hard Marvel fan, I'll watch it, but it's the way the movie is headed makes me think twice about it. Even in the comics, I never really liked the whole "Wolverine: SAMURAI!" bit. I don't know, maybe I'll be surprised.

2 years agoby @Cozmo2525Flag

8. Lastwerdz

Last week i was watching Origins for the 3rd time,and that mess just gets worse with every viewing so we can expect nothing but good things from James Mangold

2 years agoby @lastwerdzFlag

9. KataklysmChild

BTW that samurai photo's kinda gay.I hope Logan doesn't go all samurai on us,even if it is part of the comics,lol!

2 years agoby @kataklysmchildFlag

10. KataklysmChild

I really like the direction this movie is heading in.It won't come close to being of "The Dark Knight" calibur,but I just got a feeling that it will rank up there with Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Legends,two of the best superhero films ever.

2 years agoby @kataklysmchildFlag

11. Joker926

The thing with this particular Wolverine movie is has potential to be one of the greatest superhero movies ever, if not possibly the best if done right. Now I could say the same thing about the first, but we all know how that turned out..... >.>

But seriously, to compare this movie to Chinatown takes some serious stones. If this movie gets made, I have high expectations now. I would also hope that a good portion of the movie was in Japanese as well. Now question though, is this going to be a sequel to the first, or are we talking a stand alone thing were it's either/or like the Incredible Hulk?

2 years agoby @joker926Flag

12. Ghostman

I hope this movie is about 75% English subtitles and Hugh Jackman yelling in Japanese :D

PS: Get this movie filmed already! i'm sick of all this "talk" and no "walk"!

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

13. thrashnasty190

@Thomas-Locke Yeah a lot of us feel that it was sh*t.

2 years agoby @thrashnasty190Flag

@Thomas-Locke You know a lot of people feel that way about Origins. I think there were a lot of good ideas but my beef is with the whole Deadpool debacle. When you have a character that is as beloved as Deadpool, it would seem like they would want to do it right but...well, all i can say is why didnt someone say something like "Katanas...??? Coming out of his hands? Thats not really cool." I know a lot of directors surround themselves with "yes men" but that was really a deal breaker for me. I know its nit picky but i am sort of a die hard X Men/ Marvel fan.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@bawnian-dexeus I just keep hoping that maybe ONE DAY (perhaps post credits) that it will at least show his helmet. I mean that is one of the most iconic masks of all time and yet after several X Men movies it has been notoriously absent. I dont really need to see him wearing it but maybe just sort of an easter egg...somewhere in the movie would be nice.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

16. Thomas Locke

where do you get that x-men origins wolverine was a bad film "the First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze"?

2 years agoby @Thomas-LockeFlag

@skywise Dunno why, but I think Logan will look better without the pointy hair. It worked for him appearance wise in Origins

@bawnian-dexeus I really love that pic of him in the armor. I think this might just be the Wolvie movie we have been waiting for. But i agree with you...film film film.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Just do a good job. Less talking more filming

i still have high hopes for this movies.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

21. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

Im reserving my expectations until this gets into more development, after the crapfest that was Origins, this has alot to make up for "the best there is"

2 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

22. slysnide

@shuabert: It would definitely not be in toe with the other wolverine films. Plus Jackman looks pretty bad even in that fake avatar. To mimic "Chinatown" would be to make a very slow, droll movie. For "The Outlaw Josey Wales" it would be more toned down, still requiring a major boost up to avoid a ripoff connotation.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

23. Josh

@slysnide Are you kidding? What he's describing here sounds like what every true comic book fan wants in a Wolverine movie.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

24. slysnide

Yeah right Mangold. A foreign language superhero drama won't fly with comic book nerds.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

25. Titanictom

YEH well so are a lot of movies not alot of People speak English in "Foreign" Countries DUH!!!!!!!!

2 years agoby @titanictomFlag

26. bud2fresh

Just start shooting the damn thing already!

2 years agoby @bud2freshFlag

27. thedude-abides

I don't see how anyone could put Josey Wales and Chinatown in the same sentence, but oh well. Anyway, this'll be the best Marvel superhero flick to date, outside of maybe the first Iron Man.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

28. Cripple

This just makes me even more pumped!

2 years agoby @crippleFlag

29. DuaneBarry

Wow, that is unique! No movie has ever featured Japanese martial arts before!
    /s

2 years agoby @DuaneBarryFlag

30. Daveactor7

@moviewiz lmaoooo yeah i saw it too xD and this is gonna be epic. Jackman speaking japanese lol

2 years agoby @daveactor7Flag