'The Twilight Saga' May Continue After 'Breaking Dawn'

Lionsgate president Jon Feltheimer hopes the franchise goes on, while actor Jackson Rathbone has heard rumors of new short films.
The Twilight Saga may continue after Breaking Dawn
The Twilight Saga may continue after Breaking Dawn
The Twilight Saga will come to a close later this year, when The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 hits theaters November 16... or will it? We reported last week that Lionsgate has finalized a deal to acquire The Twilight Saga distributor Summit Entertainment, and Lionsgate president Jon Feltheimer hopes the franchise continues beyond the finale. Here's what he had to say below.

"It's hard for me to imagine a movie that does $700 million-plus doesn't have ongoing value. It's an amazing franchise that they have done a great job of maintaining with absolutely no deterioration. So the simple answer is 'Boy I hope so.'"

Since Lionsgate has a television unit, there is a possibility that Stephenie Meyer's novels may be adapted for the small screen. Actor Jackson Rathbone, who plays Jasper Hale in The Twilight Saga, revealed he has heard rumblings of the series continuing.

"Maybe go back into some of the back stories. There's been talk of shorts and different new media, too."

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but with the Lionsgate/Summit merger, it wouldn't be surprising if they come up with a way to continue this saga.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 was released November 16th, 2012 and stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Peter Facinelli, Elizabeth Reaser, Ashley Greene, Jackson Rathbone, Kellan Lutz. The film is directed by Bill Condon.

1. George Settles

I think it would be a mistake to continue the story from where it left off. What would be brilliant is if she picked up the story several years later with a grown Renesme and Jacob dealing with a Vampire/Human hybrid/ Werewolf couple and The Volture. If the Volture were so fascinated by a Vamp/HUman hybrid, how would they react to a child of that hybrid and their natural enemy- a werewolf? C'mon, Steph. You can give me a shout if you want more of my ideas on how to continue this story.

3 months agoby @George-SettlesFlag

2. TheSymbiote

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

3 years agoby @thesymbioteFlag

I smell cows...

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

4. JonSpidey07

i like this idea actually, cant imagine life with less Twilight in it, they said they may even greenlight The Second Short-Life of Bree Tanner

3 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

5. Salemwolf711

F*CK YOU HOLLYWOOD!

3 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

6. The Boondock Saint

@gandoff haha that is true, I didn't really think about that. I totally forgot about all that extra matrix sh*t. lol. I think everyone did. I could definitely see that happening, but, we'll just have to wait and see.

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

7. SpeedyEric

No! That's not true!! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

3 years agoby @SpeedyEricFlag

8. Nicholaus XX

@dan1 -- That basically sums up my feelings towards this article. Garbage will officially be around forever, while our entertainment continues to get more and more degenerating.

3 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

9. Replicant

Every time I read an article like this I think of all the actual talent thats out there; great writers, people working on fantastic scripts, directors with great ideas. And instead of going in that direction, Hollywood goes ahead and does this.
    They weren't happy enough breaking the last movie in two, now they gotta do more. If the author actually writes another novel, they'll probably break it up into 4 parts.

3 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

10. Newtron

@Tha Phoenix: Beautifully said.

3 years agoby @newtronFlag

11. Tha Phoenix

They HAVE to be kidding. The horse is dead, ladies and gentlemen. Put the stick down.

3 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

12. Corey W.

As a somewhat fan of Twilight (The books and only two of the movies), I say....NO! HELL NO! Why do such a thing? Even fans will be upset over this. An ending is an ending.

I know Bree Turner turned into a book, but why can't they just straight-to-dvd that? The book was only 100 pages; there isn't enough to be a full-length film.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

@thomasclarke Better than LOTR? Wow

14. Dragon1991

Thank God I'm away in college so my girlfriend can't drag me to this dumb movie ^_^

3 years agoby @Dragon1991Flag

15. Thomas Clarke (Kiion)

It will be another excuse for the all the girl friends and wife's to be able to say OMG Twilight is the best movie ever, man they get annoying especially after being dragged to watch breaking dawn part 1 and realising that its a whole 2 and something hours that nothing happens in. Then coming home to be told 10 reason why that film series is better than lord of the rings. Like hell that is the case. Suppose it is a cash cow and that would explain the constant need to keep it going. Money speaks it would seem.

3 years agoby @thomasclarkeFlag

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

3 years agoby @BrizzyFlag

18. Dark_888

good news

3 years agoby @dark-888Flag

19. the_tall_guy

Well, I knew the day would come when I had to tear my eyes out of my skull.

3 years agoby @the-tall-guyFlag

20. JasonKat

bawnian-dexeus If this had a "like" button id like your comment, lmfao!
    Twilight is not a bad movie, its just NOT rewatchable, Its forgetable,
    like the saw movies. and american pie 4-7 or watever its been, lol
    I think when movies keep going and going, it starts to bore the hell out of me. The only films that could never bore me are the batman, underworld, die hard and jurassic park films. but movies like lord of the ring, harry potter, pirates of the caribbean, saw, BLAHHHHHHHHHH

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

@jasonkat There are some movies that I can understand why they still keep going, but this, really? Fan Fiction has taken care of God knows whatever the hell Meyer never added.

22. TheRingFan1

The series really must end... I'm sick of people making profit off of cliche stories and bad acting. Oh well.

3 years agoby @theringfan1Flag

23. JasonKat

This might b the dumbest example ever. but when it comes to book-stories, they arn't perfectly written. And when its put into a film, a lot of the good stuff is left out only to have come up with other stuff not told in the book. (sometimes it works, sometime it does'nt). When you look at a movie like twilight. weither you know the book or not. its a really bad film. the acting is poor, the direction is predictable and at times it feels like such a bore because it brings nothing new to the table.
    The reason for that is because they stick to money. Make it pg/pg13, and we'll fill those seats. give us watever script that can tie into the book and lets put it out there. w/out even thinking about that acting or srroundings. Yes the movies made millions but it will always b the dumbest "vampire" movie ever seen.
    I think the lovely bones was the greatest movie, ever seen on a film. based on the book. Yes it left alot of stuff out, from the book. but the movie alone was not hard to follow, and everything you saw made sense w/out adding any kinda back story to that, its a masterpiece in my eyes, thats the example i was trying to point out.
    Twilight had its run, and should end now not in 5 or 6 more yrs,
    But since its making them money, they will keep at it. I dont see why any director would ever do this to us, I guess stupid people just love throwing their money away like that.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

And 15 comments later...

25. supermanvenom

@combatmadness360 I'd like to see Jasper's story the whole civil war time is what would be cool.

3 years agoby @supermanvenomFlag

26. Gandoff

@combatmadness360 ... I typed your wrong thing in for my post...lol. So wanted you aware I said something...

3 years agoby @gandoffFlag

27. Gandoff

@TheBoondockSaint I think the movies are ok. Not great, but for a watered down monster character love story movie, they are ok. But they might have some characters they have not told about, but would it be a watchable thing? I dont think it would. They might have been something to do, as shorts, to help boost and promote the Twilight movies, like what was done for The Walking Dead with web shorts. But just like many huge movies, like Matrix. Once the films are done, with the main story, all other forms of the franchise bombed. The games was kool, but failed to do anything. The Matrix MMO failed horribly. And they had short anime shorts, but never was huge as the film. For the die hard fans, that might be huge But for 60% of those who watched the movie, as entertainment, and non twilight lovers, they will just be dust in the wind. And the remaining fans will be a hit and miss. Like me, I was a huge fan of the Matrix franchise. But some extra stories sources was hit and miss I played two of the Matrix games, but skipped the MMO. And also skipped the anime shorts. Rather they end it right, then try to squeeze it for all they can, and ruin what was made. I am not a huge fan of twilight, while my wife is. But even she agrees with me on it... And that;s a HUGE thing to agree on in my house about twilight....lmfao

3 years agoby @gandoffFlag

28. Pjwolsker

[Insert that really long face that shows the person holding there head in disappointment or aggravation that people sometimes do on this site.]

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag