'The Tree of Life' Photos Featuring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn

Jessica Chastain also appears in these new shots from Terrence Malick's family drama, which is spread out over a number of decades.

Sources: Fox Searchlight

1. Daveactor7

Best cinematography win is sealed for this film. I also like to point out that Malick's films have mainly best cinematography nominations. Like @narrator said he is a more of a artistic director and I love that

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

2. RojoDiablo

I thought Valhalla Rising was a great flick myself and that Refn did a solid job directing it. His best film to date imo, though I also enjoyed Bronson & Pusher.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

3. thedude-abides

@dan1 I'm a good judge of talent, lol. Really, though, it is one of this year's frontrunners as far as the Academy is concerned. There's been nothing else this year I can honestly look at and say I could see it being nominated. Even though I've yet to see this movie, I can honestly look at it and say I can definitely see it as potential Oscar bait.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides I think you're giving it way too much credit beforehand, but you could be right. The Academy does go for this artsy stuff.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

5. thedude-abides

@dan1 You know I'm with you on all of that. We've been the prime opponents of this film since it was announced, lol. But, it's a sure-fire bet for a Best Picture nomination, a cinematography nomination, and maybe a couple of best actor noms. I try to stay on top of films that generate a lot of Oscar buzz so that when award season rolls around I've seen most everything.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

6. J.P.

@daveactor7 OF COURSE!! Those will probably be the only 2 things worth seeing this for.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

Agreed. Refn's Valhalla Rising is a prime example of "getting lost" in their overall artistic goal, and sacrificing pacing and coherent story telling for it.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator I like that, how you described his directing style. He does get lost in his own messages. I'd add to that and say Spike Lee and Refn can get like that with their films, as well.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1. Well, while his works are usually cutty and very general, I do at least enjoy his un-pretentious, yet artistic approach to his films. He just gets lost in it all ,and I hope that's not the case here. Also, I don't think the film will be so much a celebration of life, but rather an appreciation for it, with all its faults, difficulties, and beauty and simplicities. Again this'll be a hard topic for Malick to tackle, as he does get lost in an often times generalized and uncoordinated plot.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

Make that three of us @thedude-abides, and @daveactor7.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

@daveactor7@thedude-abides While those 2 things will probably make the movie semi redeemable, I can't get over how unabashedly cornball this movie feels to me. The whole 'celebration of life' thing seems dull. Maybe I'm letting my distaste for his previous work influence my reactions, but if I haven't liked anything this cheese master has done yet, chances are I won't like this either.

To be entirely fair though, I'll honestly give it a shot on Netflix one day. Maybe I'll find something more I'll find agreeable this time around. Won't hold my breath.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

12. thedude-abides

@daveactor7 You and me both, buddy.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag