'The Mortal Instruments' Issues Casting Call for Jace Wayland

Sony Pictures is looking for males age 18 to 25 for this adaptation of Cassandra Clare's fantasy novel.
Sony Pictures issues a casting call for The Mortal Instruments
Sony Pictures issues a casting call for The Mortal Instruments
Sony Pictures has issued a casting call for their upcoming adventure The Mortal Instruments. Take a look at the criteria for the casting call below for the lead role of Jace Wayland:

"We're searching for someone to play Jace Wayland in the upcoming Mortal Instruments movie. The role calls for a male able to play age 18-25.

Character Description: Fighting, hunting, and killing demons are the things Jace is good at. Though the jagged scars and black runic Marks on his body are a badge of honor as far as he's concerned, he keeps a lot to himself - until he meets Clary, a mundane girl who can see him, maybe better than he can see himself. The connection that binds them will force Jace to confront the black secrets of a past he never wanted to remember...

Audition materials consist of one (1) audition video containing person auditioning for the role answering the question: Why are you the right person to play Jace Wayland in the upcoming movie? Total length of video should be no longer than 2 minutes. One (1) headshot photo no more than 100K, and a brief description of credit highlights (if any)."

We reported earlier this week that actor Alex Pettyfer is circling the Jace Wayland role, although this casting call seems to indicate that Sony is heading in another direction.

Scott Stewart is directing The Mortal Instruments from a script by Jessica Postigo, which is based on the novel series by Cassandra Clare. The story centers on Clary Fray (Lily Collins) who discovers she comes from a long line of Shadowhunters, a secret force that rids the Earth of its demons.

No production schedule was given for The Mortal Instruments/

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was released August 21st, 2013 and stars Aidan Turner, Lena Headey, Lily Collins, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Robert Sheehan, Jamie Campbell Bower, Kevin Durand, Kevin Zegers. The film is directed by Harald Zwart.

1. Stephanie Schoenherr

Seriously looking back at characters Over time I seen Jeremy Sumpter as Jace, He is Peter Pan in the 2003 adaptation, Also when I think Of Jace I see the little boy who wasnt quite ready to be a man but still wants to play house.

2 years agoby @Stephanie-SchoenherrFlag

2. Thomas Dischinger

@josephine I'dlovemesumpie Ryde
    Josephine, you don't seem to be up to date. Alex Pettyfer has turned down the offer for "The Last Apprentice" some time ago (I think in March). But since the production of "City of Bones" has been delayed due to the time schedules of the actors already casted, it seems they spend more time for the remaining casting process since they can't start shooting anyway.

3 years agoby @thomas-dischingerFlag

3. Josephine I'dlovemesumpie Ryde

i really wanted Alex to play jace but it seems he'd rather be in the last apprentice, so it looks like they' have to find someone else to play him... i was so sure he'd be perfect for jace he ticked all the boxes i wonder who else they have in mind for him..... lily collins seems perfect for clary i soo can't wait for this movie to come out :D

3 years agoby @Josephine-Idlovemesumpie-RydeFlag

4. Pdd912

Alex Pettyfer's current in-demand status has been propelled by the fans' interest in him for the role of Jace. Fans of The Mortal Instruments series have wanted him for this role long before the movie was even in the works. I'd never heard of him until I read the series and looked for more information about them on the internet and found a ton of fanmade videos, all featuring him in the role of Jace. The buzz around him has grown as fans have made youtube videos, discussed him on Facebook and on fan boards. But if he turns down the role, what then? It comes off as arrogant, like a cold, dismissive brush-off to the very group of fans who have generated so much buzz around him to begin with. In fact, I believe I Am Number Four would have been number one at the box office if he had not been so quick to dismiss the interest growing around him for that role. If he would have appeared at least interested or open to the casting, or if he had feigned the slightest bit of interest, fans would have flocked to the cinema in order to catch a sneak peek of their pick for Jace. But he missed an opportunity for self-marketing there.

3 years agoby @pdd912Flag

5. Fantasyfan

I found the books to be well written and the characters well developed. There are several major characters and I found them all to be interesting and "likable". Clary- (LilyCollins) I think is a good choice (saw her in a first cut of Abduction, she has the right look). Jace, is going to be difficult to cast...he must be clever, extremely good looking, very athletic, slender, hair can be dyed (or wigs) so being blond isn't a prerequisite, skin tone (golden) natural would be better but again spraying and tanning are an option, tough, vulnerable, sarcastic without being totally obnoxious (but I'm sure the words "a movie based on ..." will be used to pick who they want). An actor with experience and maturity would be best (he needs to look young but have a maturity beyond his age...I think someone in the 19-21 yr range would be best. Unlike many others, I have nothing against "twilight" actors...the books themselves limited what they could do, and I haven't seen most of them in anything else. I did see "new moon" and "eclipse" on dvd and one of the actors improvement from one movie to the next was impressive. Remember actors are not the characters they portray....that's why we call them actors. Anyway where 'twilight" is concerned I think it's more the obnoxious and absolute meanness of a vocal hardcore group of fans that's the turnoff (even the actors in the movie are trying to hide from them). And this "team" crap was a marketing ploy (which paid handsomely) but actually had nothing to do with the "story". Alex Pettyfer, who I recently saw, looks too old to be Jace (added to the fact that his reputation of being difficult to work with is a hinderance). This has the potential to become a blockbuster across the board if handled correctly and not just exploited and dumbed down...this would be a great disservice to an exceptional series of books. You especially need chemistry between 8 major characters (both as a group and individuals)...Clary, Simon, Jace, Luke, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, and Valentine; there is much interaction between this entire group...the important groupings (Jace-Alec-Isabelle),(Jace-Clary),(Jace-Valentine),(Jace-Simon),(Luke-Clary), (Simon-Clary),(Simon-Isabelle),(Alec-Magnus). All are important and their chemistry with one another is the foundation. The story should be the driving force, and hopefully not obnoxious creepy fans no matter how much they're willing to pay...(don't blame the actors, they were hired to do a job and much of it's based on the story, the screenplay, the director and $$$ invested in it). This will be an enormous cast (not unlike HP and Twi) much CGI and special effects...and it's scheduled for March 2012...they have a lot of work to do

3 years agoby @fantasyfanFlag

6. Virginia Rae Stubella

ReelzChannel has a Cast-O-Rama (ultimate fan casting) for The Mortal Instruments movie. Head over and vote: reelz.com/article/1315/

3 years agoby @Virginia-Rae-StubellaFlag

7. marii velasquez

i love alex has to be our Jace
    but other options:
    1- william moseley
    2-dougie poynter

but alex is perfecttt

3 years agoby @marii-velasquezFlag

8. Thomas Dischinger

@The Screenwriter
    Well, that would be cool. On "I Am Number Four" he refused even to take part in the audition twice before he accepted on the third attempt. On the other hand even though there's never been a major release with him in the US yet, he seems to have a growing popularity and obviosly is getting more offers than he can take. Therefore I think there's only a very small hope that he ever will play Jace.

3 years agoby @thomas-dischingerFlag

9. Thomas Dischinger

@Lizzygorga
    I don't think they're looking for somebody who looks like 25 or older. I think they don't want to exclude any options and perhaps they might find somebody who in fact is over 20 but still looks young.
    For example on "I Am Number Four" 15 year old Sarah Hart is impersonated by 24 years old Dianna Agron. If they had limited the search on 18 to 20 year old girls, they'd never have casted Dianna.

3 years agoby @thomas-dischingerFlag

10. SCREENWRITER

@Thomas Dischinger: Lily Collins should be good for Clary, I think. We need an awesome Simon, and yes, an awesome Jace as well. Pettyfer, not being a known actor at all, is dumb for turning down the role. But, I think he's gonna end up taking it at some point. Kinda like with that chick who turned down the role for Twilight and took the part for the third film.

3 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag

11. Lizzygorga

@thomas I understand that but this is an open call so its not like there looking for experience, what I'm saying is they should be saying an adult male able to play age 16-21 as an age range. Why are they looking for older looking guys, I know a lot of 20 years old guys who still look 16

3 years agoby @lizzygorgaFlag

12. Thomas Dischinger

@The Screenwriter
    Are you sure you did see the Alex Pettyfer movies released so far ?
    I also hope that they'll find a good replacement for Alex Pettyfer, but I'm somehow under the impression that you are not too convinced about Alex Pettyfer's qualities as an actor. From my experience I know that around 95% of the people with that position either only read about him and never saw one of his movies or in rare cases saw one of his movies.

However I love the books and I'm not only looking forward to the "City of Bones" adapion but also to the sequels. And of course I hope they'll find a perfect cast for all characters.

@Lizzygorga
    It's quite common in the movie business to use older actors to impersonate young people. Two of the reasons are
    1st: Especially for characters that require stunts there might be insurance and legal problems when using minors
    2nd. Older actors do have more experience and often took acting lessons or even attended a drama school like Alex Pettyfer. So it's much easier and faster to use older experienced actors than minors that have to learn or improve their acting on the set while shooting, which will require more patience and more takes per scene. And a longer production time costs more money, too.

3 years agoby @thomas-dischingerFlag

13. Lizzygorga

@thescreenwriter okay, I didnt get the joke tho....

What I don't like about this, is that it seems to be turning into another ''studio'' films, where things gets limited, and Jace is 17, why are they looking for a 25 year old :S.

''The role calls for a male able to play age 18-25.''

and there basing the movie genre on a family fantasy. Its a gory fantasy type with some romance, this surely doesn't look good :(

3 years agoby @lizzygorgaFlag

14. SCREENWRITER

@Lizzygorga: I was only joking about auditioning so take a chill pill, newbie.

@Thomas Dischinger: Hopfully a better actor can take the lead. It's possible. I believe in this adaption. :D

3 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag

15. Michelle Hercules

It's a bummer to hear this. I thought Alex was a good choice but I'm sure they can find a good replacement. Remember that HE was a nobody not too long ago.

3 years agoby @michelle-herculesFlag

16. Lizzygorga

@the screenwriter I thought alex was too old for jace as jace is only 17, never the less Alex is the hot, so unless you can prove us your better by sending us your HEADSHOT & AUDITION. drop dead and get a life

3 years agoby @lizzygorgaFlag

17. Thomas Dischinger

@THE SCREENWRITER
    Yes, I am aware of that. I didn't say I won't watch the movie at all, but i won't go to the cinema, since of course I am extremely disappointed after having hoped Alex Pettyfer, who is really perfect for that character, would impersonate Jace Wayland ever since I first read the "City of Bones".
    And fortunately, early last December it looked as if it would turn out perfectly. And the new turn in the last moment was very frustrating !

3 years agoby @thomas-dischingerFlag

18. SCREENWRITER

@Thomas Dischinger: Don't give up on it just cause' one guy won't play the role. lol. There's plenty of others who can play Jace. Like me. :P

3 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag

19. Lolitadanes

I find this a bit unfair seeing as I was devastated in finding out I couldn't audition for Clary. Not saying I would get the part, but I at least wanted the chance. If they're doing a casting call for Jace but not Clary because Collins is chummy with the director, I find it really frustrating.

3 years agoby @lolitadanesFlag

20. Thomas Dischinger

I've read all three books and liked them very much.
    I was looking forward to see the movie in the cinema.

However, the news that Alex Pettyfer refused to sign for the "City of Bones" is a very bad news, because he would have been the perfect Jace.
    Therefore I don't think I'll go to the cinema and rather will wait for the DVD release or watch it on pay-TV.

3 years agoby @thomas-dischingerFlag

@Screen, go for it

22. SCREENWRITER

@The Narrator: I don't think this will go down the Twilight road. The books are so hardcore and bloody this movie can get an R rating. Sure, they have some love involved but not enough to make it into a teen sensation like Twilight.

Anyways, I'll go audition for gosh sakes. lol. I have long, golden hair and I'm only nineteen. I've read the books so I know the character. Lets go. Make me an actor!!

3 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag

23. Xenon

I have three books but haven't read them yet.

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

24. Pjwolsker

i dont like Alex Pettyfer. there's just something about him that bugs me

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

Screeny, I haven't read the books, so all I had to go on was the above description. Therefore, with that summary, I said this could go either way. They could make a poor adaption, and cater to the teen majority turning it into a Twilight like cash cow. That's where the comparison came from.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

Cause we don't want this great series to be turned into another twilight franchise. We want it to be taken seriously

27. SCREENWRITER

I'm on Book of Ashes right now. I got Book of Glass and the prequl Clockwork Angel and I hear City of Fallen Angels is to come out in March. A big series, much better than Twilight. But I don't understand why people are comparing them.

4 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag

I wish I could audition ,but my looks don't qualify with the character's description :(

I read book one, and it kicked all four twilight books's ass!!! This adaptation better be done right!!

30. RojoDiablo

Could be interesting, if done right.

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag