'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy to Be Converted for 3D Says Elijah Wood

The actor also offers insight into reprising Frodo, and his frustration that 'The Phantom Menace' is being converted to 3D before 'A New Hope'.
Elijah Wood says The Lord of the Rings trilogy may be converted to 3D
Elijah Wood says The Lord of the Rings trilogy may be converted to 3D
It's no secret that converting classics into 3D is in vogue, with new versions of Titanic, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, and Beauty and the Beast hitting theaters in 3D next year. Actor Elijah Wood revealed that The Lord of the Rings producers are actively talking about converting the entire trilogy into 3D for new theatrical releases.

Here's what the actor had to say below.

"I think it would be cool to see. There's talk of releasing a dimensionalised trilogy eventually. I'm okay with doing post-process 3D, as long as someone takes the time. What I'm upset about is when a movie doesn't have the budget and the time to devote to it and they're not fine-tuning the detail of that, because it can look really bad and cheap. But I know that they wouldn't dimensionalise it unless it was a super meticulous process."

The actor also made note of his frustration that Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and the prequel trilogy is being converted into 3D before the original trilogy.

"I mean, Titanic's coming out in 3D now, and Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, which means we have to wait three movies to get to the fucking good shit, it's unbelievable, I'm like, we have to wait three years for that? You're doing Episode I first? [frustrated squeal], what a bummer!"

Elijah Wood also talked about his cameo in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and how he got back into character as Frodo Baggins.

"Before we started, I watched Fellowship again, just to remember the way that he spoke. Outside of that it was revisiting something I'd spent the better part of four years playing, and it was just a joy. It felt like a giant family reunion in a way. The weirdest thing was being on set, looking down at my feet and it just feeling oddly normal, like, 'Here we are, doing another scene at Bag End, 10 years later.'"

It isn't known when The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King may hit theaters in 3D, although the 3D conversion hasn't been officially announced yet.

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring was released December 19th, 2001 and stars Alan Howard, Elijah Wood, Noel Appleby, Sean Astin, Sala Baker, Sean Bean, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers was released December 18th, 2002 and stars Bruce Allpress, Sean Astin, John Bach, Sala Baker, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Jed Brophy. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King was released December 17th, 2003 and stars Noel Appleby, Alexandra Astin, Sean Astin, David Aston, John Bach, Sean Bean, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Sources: Den of Geek

1. Nicholaus XX

They are going to now aim their sights on milking this trilogy. Awesome....

3 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

2. ZanyZap

@narrator: The Wood is a good guy.

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

3. ollie-styrene

3D sucks... I`ve said it all along, and still stand for it.. crystal clear images in 2D is the best way to watch a movie IMO. I hope they don`t stop making 2D movies..

3 years agoby @ollie-styreneFlag

Wood is indeed a fan-man, so I find myself agreeing with him often. I'd usually say nothing should tough LotR, but Jackson and team are putting some pretty noticeable effort into the Hobbit films. I'll wait 'till I see how they shot the Hobbit films, then say my piece regarding the conversion of the most amazing trilogy ever.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

5. ROFLitschristian

@ghostman@ejk1@mattbierwagen I know Jackson is above this, but why do I get the feeling that most of this is deriving from the fact the Return of the King is no longer the third highest-grossing film of all time?

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

6. ROFLitschristian

Although, I do like Wood's comment. "... which means we have to wait three years for the f*cking good sh*t..." :P

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

7. ROFLitschristian

I have so much respect for you, Lord of the Rings. Don't start with me.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

8. Titanictom

Like I said MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO!!!!!!

3 years agoby @titanictomFlag

9. moviegeek

no opinion on this one, have I.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

10. K.Guy

I knew it!

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

11. Worth5Bucks

Since it was filmed partially in 3d and peter jackson thinks its possible im all for it

3 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

12. CUPID

Nah!

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

13. TheDude1

We can thank James Cameron for bringing this money grabbing fad into Hollywood.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

14. Josh

I don't care about 3D conversion for movies that have already established themselves as awesome. I'm excited to see the Hobbit in 3D, but I'm happy with LotR the way it is. This conversion is unnecessary and irr-oliphant.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

15. K-Man

You know, after seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in 3D (RealD 3D), I have to admit......some films can really benefit from the conversion. However, that is to say: ONLY IF IT IS DONE RIGHT.

While I'm not on the pro 3D train for everything......I'm not on the hater bus either. I think some films look great with the use of 3D... but, then again, I ALWAYS want to see it in 2D, as well. The reason for that is because it is two totally different experiences. One is for a more classic, tradition viewing experience while the other is more immersive. The way I look at 3D is that it is just a different way to view a film.

Quite frankly, I think no film in HISTORY is more suited for a 3D transfer than The Lord of the Rings (as you can see from my avatar). Though, I have to admit, the original Star Wars trilogy and Revenge of the Sith will look pretty amazing as well (screw phantom menace and attack of the clones).

I'm all for it!!! I say bring it on.....as well as any other classic films that would benefit from it (but again, only if they are done right)!!

3 years agoby @k-manFlag

Two things: 1) Elijah Wood is a big nerd, which, since I'm one as well, I think is cool, and 2) I don't care for this conversion fad. I think it sucks and is completely unnecessary.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

17. Ghostman

Yes to the movies, no to the idea :P

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag