'The Hunger Games' Wants Jennifer Lawrence for Katniss Everdeen

The 'Winter's Bone' Oscar-nominee is close to signing on for the up coming Lionsgate franchise based on Suzanne Collins' popular novel series.
Jennifer Lawrence close to signing on for The Hunger Games
Jennifer Lawrence close to signing on for The Hunger Games
Jennifer Lawrence, the rough-hewn teen who earned an Oscar nomination for sawing off her daddy's hands in Winter's Bone, is close to signing a contract to star as Katniss Everdeen in Lionsgate's upcoming franchise The Hunger Games. The role is one of the most coveted in Hollywood at the moment, as director Gary Ross hopes to turn this big screen adaptation of the hugely popular Suzanne Collins novel series into the next Twilight.

The gritty role of Katniss fits in with Jennifer Lawrence's onscreen presence in Winter's Bone. Here, she will play a teenager forced to compete in a survival game against other teenagers, where they must battle to the death. Suzanne Collins is adapting her own book into a screenplay with the help of Billy Ray.

Hailee Steinfeld and Abigail Breslin were also up for the role of Katniss, but Jennifer Lawrence won out because of her age. Now that they are casting Everdeen a little bit older, they will be able to cast the role of Peeta, Katniss' love interest, accordingly. Both Hailee Steinfeld and Abigail Breslin are 14, while Jennifer Lawrence is 20.

The actress did not sign on sooner because she was waiting out her Oscar nomination. She was also weighting her options, as she had considered signing onto Oliver Stone's next project Savages. She may still appear in that film, but will have to work out her schedule to accommodate both film's needs.

Jennifer Lawrence will next be seen as Mystique in X-Men: First Class.

The Hunger Games was released March 23rd, 2012 and stars Stanley Tucci, Wes Bentley, Jennifer Lawrence, Willow Shields, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Sandra Ellis Lafferty, Paula Malcomson. The film is directed by Gary Ross.

Sources: Variety

1. Balance

I guess a dark skin actress was not good enough for you. You had to make the hero of this trilogy in your own image. It is so typical. Another racist Hollywood film. I guess an olive skinned, dark haired, skinny girl with small breasts was not good enough. These jerks in Hollywood must realize that the book found a fan base with a dark skinned hero on board. Any of you guys who have read the book must know that she was dark haired and hairy (they have a difficult time waxing her body hair to prepare her for the games). Just like Hollywood. Racist, racist, racist. In the old days with people played Indians, Blacks, Asian, etc. What are they gonna do? Put dark paint on her, make her shed thirty pounds, give her a dark haired wig, and give her dark contact lenses? Change her into someone entirely different?
    How fake.
    (Again, Lionsgates in case you did not get it: Katniss is dark, hairy, poor, hungry, tough, and totally underprivileged.)
    This is wrong. The casting is screwed up.
    Let this one go down like the "300", with all of their racist stereotypes, or Prince of Persia with not even one Persian in it. Or The Last Air Bender where all the Asian roles went to Indians and whites. Lionsgates you really screwed this up. You took a great trilogy and turned it into another sh*tty, racist Hollywood film.

3 years agoby @BalanceFlag

2. Cana Luz Morijah Lugo

look up Cana Lugo for Katniss Everdeen and check out my Katniss photos!! :D

3 years agoby @Cana-Luz-Morijah-LugoFlag

Never read any of these...had never even heard of them until the movie was mentioned but i loved Lawrence in Winter's Bone so hoping she can turn in another great performance here.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

4. Nautical

@wichy dont worry. slashfilm.com spoiled it for on with this similar article. oh well. As for Jennifer Lawrence....NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Shes going to be so friggin old looking when the second and third films are made. Gary Rose needs to start young and his best bet is Moretz.

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

5. RojoDiablo

J L should work out well in both films!

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

6. Wichy

Sorry everyone for all the trouble, I didn't really mean to cause it. I figured if it was in the article than it would not be a problem to repeat it. Hopefully, we can all get back to getting along now. Thanks @thedude-abides and @dan1 , I appreciate that you guys understand. I really don't think I gave anything away that wasn't in that first sentence. Not even when it happens.

3 years agoby @wichitagalzlFlag

7. Josh

It doesn't spoil much. You find out the father is dead and why she needs to find his body less than half-way through the movie.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

8. thedude-abides

@ejk1: I knew u were kidding by your tone. You're usually much more cruel when u r angry :)

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

9. thedude-abides

@wichitagalzl: I wish I were on earlier to back u up on this. I saw the movie. U didn't even give away anything. Believe me, people jump my ass for way less than that usually. They nitpick certain facets of what I say and distort them into a point of reference for framing an argument in order to suit their own opinion, despite not having anything to do with what I said- if that makes sense.

***SPOILER***

Now, if u wanted to really piss people off, u would've said she hacked off her daddy's hands with a chainsaw after fishing him up from the bottom of a swampy marsh in order to prove the fact that he didn't skip out on his comeuppance, but simply to prove that he was, indeed dead all along. (Exhales, deep breath) Now, that's how it's done- only without the spoiler warning, lol. I just wrote a book on a speculative studio report.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@dan1 Not actually mad at her, just having a little fun. To be honest, I'm probably not seeing this film any time soon. Regardless of any of that, it's just one moment in what, a two hour film? I'm sure there will be more to it than that scene, or what @zanyzap said occurs in the rest of it.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

11. Jkm2012

I know it's not set in stone...but I can't see Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss...she was described as having olive skin tone... they would have to do some serious makeup...if they want to make to the next "Twilight" phenom...

3 years agoby @jkm2012Flag

12. ZanyZap

@ejk1: There's that scene... and then Lawrence trudging through the woods, stopping at an occasional hick's trailer, for two hours... the end. I hope that ruins the rest of the movie for you. :P

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

Alright @ejk1, @masta-chiefed Let's ease up on @wichitagalzl...

1. She was vague enough in her reply that nothing was really spoiled.

2. As she pointed out already, she only repeated what was already said in the article. Wanna get mad at something, get mad at Orange's spoilers without warnings article.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

Well, thanks to the article, I know what happens in the movie. Thanks to @wichitagalzl I know when it occurs in the movie. Does anyone want to fill me in on the rest of the movie? I figure if I keep coming to this thread, the plot will be revealed by Wednesday, saving me the trouble of seeing it :P

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

15. Emmytt

shes hot

3 years agoby @emmyttFlag

16. Wichy

@masta-chiefed , in case you missed it:

"Jennifer Lawrence, the rough-hewn teen who earned an Oscar nomination for sawing off her daddy's hands in Winter's Bone..." I wish you had read the article more thoroughly before judging me. It really offends me that you have no idea of who I am and what I am about. I hate confrontation, but I will own up to what I have done. But I don't believe that I did anything wrong. I simply stated something that was in the article, almost to an exact phrase.

3 years agoby @wichitagalzlFlag

17. Diaigma

@masta-chiefed - sorry, but . . . fail :P

3 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

18. Wichy

@masta-chiefed Really, did you even read the article!!! It says it in the first sentence what happened in Winter's Bone. Obviously, you didn't!!!! Jesus why don't you read the damn article.

3 years agoby @wichitagalzlFlag

19. Masta_Chiefed

TO EVERYONE. IF YOU HAVENT SEEN WINTER'S BONE, DO NOT READ @wichitagalzl COMMENT.

3 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

20. Masta_Chiefed

@wichitagalzl U know something. You are a moron. Why would you come on here and spoil the end of winter's bone for the hundreds of people on this site who havent seen it?

Seriously, you just wrote a book on a speculative studio report. FFFFFFFUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK

3 years agoby @masta-chiefedFlag

21. Wichy

I must say that I am not as dissapointed as I thought I would be with this Katniss choice. I had come to terms with Moretz, age or not. But Lawrence should be able to fill Katniss Everdeen's shoes, plus I agree that I always pictured Katniss as older looking, due to her life and hardships. I think of it like this: Lawrence proved something in Winter's Bone to me, particularly the scene where she cut off her father's hands. She performed so well at those moments, heartbreaking yet strong in a sense, just like Katniss. Katniss is strong, yet you can tell she is also vulnerable by the decisions she has to make. I believe, if this is Ross' choice, I will be fine with it. As for "the next Twilight," I am desperately hoping that he means popularity wise ( and I believe he does). As far as the book, the romance is only a secondary object compared to the "games," themselves. It all plays in nicely together, and I hope Ross keeps that part of the story in check. The second book shows a tad bit more of the romance than the other two. Let's just keep hoping that Ross keeps us fans of the book satisfied.

3 years agoby @wichitagalzlFlag

@edwardwood Account got messed up, eh?

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

23. Edwardwood

Finally I can post on here again. I like her for this part, she's a great actress.

3 years agoby @edwardwoodFlag

24. Oakfam

i read the first book,but it just took to long to get running. i would like to see the girl from true grit play kantiss with robert downey jr as haymitch and the kid who played luke in the lightning thief as peeta

3 years agoby @oakfamFlag

@daveactor7 Sorry mate, but despite my negative response, I'm interested to see how it turns out

26. Daveactor7

@Bawn >:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

@daveactor7 ready your hand sir

28. Josh

@diaigma@bawnian-dexeus : Haha...well perhaps Thirteen was lightning in a bottle. But you should still check it out. It made my top ten of 2003.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag