'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' First Look at Katniss and Finnick!

Jennifer Lawrence and Sam Claflin are revealed together for the first time in new photos from EW.
Production is wrapping up in Hawaii on The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Lionsgate's highly-anticipated follow-up to last year's blockbuster The Hunger Games. Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson are back as Katniss and Peeta, but one of the most notable new additions to the cast is Sam Claflin, who plays Finnick Odair, a previous Hunger Games victor summoned back into battle for the 75th Annual Hunger Games. Today, Entertainment Weekly has released an early look at the cover art for this week's print edition, featuring both Jennifer Lawrence and Sam Claflin in their battle attire. We also have a second photo which finds these allies getting close, outside of the arena.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire EW Magazine Cover
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Photo

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was released November 22nd, 2013 and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Jack Quaid, Taylor St. Clair, Sandra Ellis Lafferty, Woody Harrelson, Josh Hutcherson, Paula Malcomson. The film is directed by Francis Lawrence.

1. Vamp

Wasn't Finnick supposed to be a Buff guy...When I read the book I imagine someone closed to Hercules in appearance.

1 year agoby @VampFlag

2. Dumbumm

I swear, if they and make Finnick out to be a womanizing player, I'm gonna be so annoyed! Also he's meant to be buff...

1 year agoby @DumbummFlag

@bawnian-dexeus I have to disagree. The Hunger Games had a budget of $78 million. District 9 had $30mil. The difference is boggling, especially when you consider the complexities of the creatures in D9 and just how many frames actually needed work as opposed to Hunger Games. No excuse for that other than rushed work to meet deadlines. Even then, effects were only one of the troubles that bombarded THG.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

4. ROFLitschristian

@ChiRep-1 I just want to get to the island already. It's killing me inside!

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

5. ChiRep_1

@ROFLitschristian It gets better my friend. And I'm lovin the Finnick look, pretty damn close to how I pictured him

1 year agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

6. MovieManiac

I hope its better than the first film.

1 year agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

7. ROFLitschristian

I'm not even halfway through Chapter 6 and yet I'm still jizzing in anticipation.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

8. justatadmatt

@bawnian-dexeus i hear you, but if they follow the book, it's going to be insane.

1 year agoby @justatadmattFlag

For future covers, let's have the character look like they've been through battle

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@narrator Well, with the massive gross the first book got, we can expect "sharper visuals". We can't always expect big studio visuals from mini majors like Summit or Lionsgate

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@justatadmatt That remains to be seen

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

12. Corey W.

But I'll wait and see how the guy does playing the character, even though I don't think he looks strong enough for the role.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

13. Corey W.

Not sure how I feel about Finnick. I think Taylor Kitsch would have been the better choice.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

Francis Lawrence's eye for visuals is the only reason I'm looking forward to this film. Now that he's signed on for the rest of the films in the series, they have a chance to really solidify this decent series with a distinct theme and maintain it. No unnecessary shaky cam, sharper visuals, and hopefully a better plot this time around. If that happens, I won't even complain about the teeny-bopper cast not getting any acting lessons over the break.

I haven't read the books, but I wasn't a huge fan of The Hunger Games. While I'm big enough of a man to admit that a portion of my dislike for the film was due to everyone praising it undeservedly, I can honestly say that it was a poorly directed film regardless. Unnecessary shaky cam, poor vfx (which usually indicates tardiness or a poor delegation of budget), a lack of any substantial political or emotional scenes that I hear were in the book (Ross had script-editing privileges so this is also his fault), and stale acting (which he could have coached them on) made for an unimpressive, watered down, and distinctly "American" version of Battle Royale. That sucks, because I hear the books were so much more. Color me disappointed.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

15. Zak Lee Ferguson

meh. not interesting..on set sh*t gets my rocks on :L

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

16. John M

Awesome.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

17. JonSpidey07

jesus, this is really early!
    still excited to see what the movie's gonna look like

1 year agoby @jonspidey07Flag

18. justatadmatt

@bawnian-dexeus@dan1 he's going to be badass. just wait.

1 year agoby @justatadmattFlag

@bawnian-dexeus Exactly what I was thinking. Only he looks like a little twerp still. Finnick is supposed to actually be as buff as Aquaman.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

More like Aquaman

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

21. artkid04

so looking forward to this!!

1 year agoby @artkid04Flag