'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Eyes Armie Hammer, Taylor Kitsch, and Garrett Hedlund

This trio of young actors are the finalists to play District 4 tribute Finnick Odair in the Lionsgate sequel.
Armie Hammer is a finalist to play Finnick Odair in Catching Fire
Armie Hammer is a finalist to play Finnick Odair in Catching Fire
We know that The Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire will start production later this summer, with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth all set to return as Katniss, Peeta, and Gale. The production is now concentrating on casting an integral new character, Finnick Odair, with Armie Hammer, Taylor Kitsch, and Garrett Hedlund considered the top choices for the role.

Finnick Odair was the District 4 tribute who won the 65th Hunger Games. For the 75th Hunger Games, also known as the Third Quarter Quell, past victors are thrown back into the battle arena, where Finnick Odair forms an alliance with Katniss. It is said that a final decision on who will play this important part could be made as early as this week.

Francis Lawrence is directing Catching Fire from a screenplay by Michael Arndt. Lionsgate is trying to get production started this summer, so Jennifer Lawrence will be free to shoot the X-Men: First Class Sequel in January.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was released November 22nd, 2013 and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Jack Quaid, Taylor St. Clair, Sandra Ellis Lafferty, Woody Harrelson, Josh Hutcherson, Paula Malcomson. The film is directed by Francis Lawrence.

Sources: E! Online

1. Rebekah

All of the information in this article has since been reported as unsubstantiated. Kitsch has stated to the LA Times that he's not in the running, he's also said in the past that he's not interested in the role. Also Arndt has not been confirmed by any reputable sources, i.e. Lionsgate them selves, that he is in fact doing the re-writes on the script. None of this information can believed at this point, except that Hedlund and Hammer are fan favorites.

2 years agoby @Rebekah-55529479Flag

2. MovieManiac

I'm for Hedlund. I wouldn't mind any of the three actors but if i had to choose one then it would be Hedlund, hands down.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

3. artkid04

i wonder though if Chris Zylka's name ever came up

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

4. artkid04

i'll go for hammer or Hedlund, i'm hoping its Hedlund but I think it most likely will be Armie Hammer

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

5. justatadmatt

@moviegeek Finnick is actually in his mid/late twenties because it is ten years after he participated in the games...i think armie could pull off the role really well.

2 years agoby @justatadmattFlag

@moviegeek Perhaps, but I still think he'd be best for Finnick. He has that arrogant swagger, and I think he's a better actor than Hedlund and Kitsch.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

7. moviegeek

Armie Hammer.. J. Edgar? Win. But the guy's a bit old for the part, no?

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

8. moviegeek

Not Taylor Kitsch! The movie will bomb if he's cast. :P

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

9. Eddie584

taylor just isnt lead role material. also im not a fan of his because of his role as Gambit in wolverine.

2 years agoby @eddie584Flag

10. Yannick Decorte

I vote Taylor Kitsch. I have no idea where the complaints with his acting in John Carter and Battleship come from. Armie Hammer and Garrett Hedlund are good too, especially Hammer, but Taylor Kitsch has that spark, that bad-ass likability, and he looks handsome in a pretty unconventional way for a Hollywood actor. I;m not surprised he's Canadian and chooses to reside in Austin, Texas, he looks different for Hollywood and I love that.

2 years agoby @yannick-decorteFlag

11. Justice Kowaleski

i still think alex pettyfer should of been finick but garret hedlund would be awesome

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

12. ChiRep_1

Yup, Hedlund for me but honestly great picks all around

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

13. Josh

So I guess Jesse Williams is out? Bummer. I liked the idea of him in the role.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

14. Daveactor7

Honestly- I'm with Hedlund here. I'd like to see more of this dude branching out and he is a fine actor. Taylor Kitsch- He did way better in "Friday Night Lights" then in the movies and Hammer- he's just getting too busy and too well known right now. Hedlund for me.

2 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

Hammer. Not even a contest, really. But I'm okay with all 3.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. Cheetoboy

But I also half to admit that Armie Hammer would be a great fit because of his charisma.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

17. Cheetoboy

This would be a big break for Taylor Kitsch who has far had the rotten luck of playing in 2 movies that disappointed at the box office, but it wasn't his fault though, both John Carter and Battleship were to expensively made, and didn't really get raved reviews.

2 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

18. Replicant

I hope none of em takes it. They can all do better.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

19. Xenon

Taylor Kitsch needs to spend a few years in College or take workshops, and just do Broadway for now on. Plenty of actors get their start that way or they stay within the Theater.
    I've meet over 20 actors that preferred the theatre, and my step father was one of them.

Not really bragging.

At the moment I'm working as a stage manager for a local play and the opening night is this weekend.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

20. artkid04

I'd go for Garrette, really enjoyed him in Tron Legacy

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

Armie and Garrette would make great choice either way. Sorry Taylor, you need more acting classes. This series requires more talent than pretty faces.