'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Begins Production in Atlanta, Georgia

Francis Lawrence directs this highly-anticipated sequel starring Jennifer Lawrence.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins production in Atlanta
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins production in Atlanta
Lionsgate, a leading global entertainment company, today announced the start of principal photography on the highly anticipated sequel to the worldwide blockbuster film The Hunger Games. Beginning today, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will shoot primarily in existing locations in and near Atlanta, Georgia. The film will subsequently be shot on location in the beaches and jungles of Hawaii before wrapping in late December, 2012.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will be released worldwide on November 22, 2013, and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Jeffrey Wright, with Stanley Tucci and Donald Sutherland.

Said Lionsgate's President of Production Eric Feig, who is overseeing the production on behalf of the studio, "We are so excited to be embarking on this adventure with Francis Lawrence, who has already exhibited immense creative vision and resourcefulness in casting the film and planning its look and feel. The stakes are raised in every way in this second story, and we are thrilled to get the production underway in these perfect locations, with our excellent returning cast and some world class actors in new roles."

"Lionsgate has been a longtime partner of Georgia's entertainment industry being the first production company to take advantage of our film tax incentives in 2005. The fact that they are continuing to bring productions including this high profile franchise to Georgia reaffirms their commitment to our talented crew, diverse locations and accessibility," said Georgia Department of Economic Development Commissioner Chris Cummiskey.

Lionsgate also announces a global set visit sweepstakes. "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Win a Trip to Set" will run September 10th through October 12th 2012, offering twelve lucky fans a chance to visit the set of the film and interact the with cast and crew. To enter, fans based in the participating territories (the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, France, Scandinavia, Russia, Israel, and Japan) will upload a :30 second video of their top question for the film's cast. Additionally, "virtual" citizens of Panem will be able to enter by playing The Hunger Games Adventures - one of the top adventure games on Facebook and coming soon to iPad. Full rules and regulations are posted on the contest Facebook tab, and at CatchingFireSweeps.com.

About The Hunger Games Franchise

The first installment of The Hunger Games franchise has already grossed more than $408 million at the North American box office and nearly $700 million at the box office worldwide. The Hunger Games recently passed Harry Potter as the top-selling book series of all time on Amazon, taking into account print and Kindle sales combined. There are more than 50 million copies of The Hunger Games in print in the U.S. alone.

The Hunger Games sold an estimated 3.8 million DVD and Blu-ray units in its first weekend of release, continuing the momentum it demonstrated in generating more than $408 million at the North American box office, the 13th highest grossing North American release of all time.

Following the release of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire on November 22, 2013, the final installments, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 are scheduled for respective November 21, 2014 and November 20, 2015 releases.

About The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins as Katniss Everdeen has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a "Victor's Tour" of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) - a competition that could change Panem forever.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will be directed by Francis Lawrence, and produced by Nina Jacobson's Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the second in a trilogy that has over 50 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.

Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games: Catching Fire on November 22, 2013.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was released November 22nd, 2013 and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Jack Quaid, Taylor St. Clair, Sandra Ellis Lafferty, Woody Harrelson, Josh Hutcherson, Paula Malcomson. The film is directed by Francis Lawrence.

Sources: Lionsgate

1. the MovieGhost

@dan1 Agreed on all accounts. The only thing I worry about with Dany's liberating is the possibility of HBO pulling what they did with AGoT's battle with Tyrion and the Hilltribes and just glaze right over it.

The thing I want to see happen with the Red Wedding, Joffrey's Feast, or what Tyrion pulls near the end is have one of those be the finales for the third and fourth seasons, seeing as how they're splitting ASoS into two separate seasons. I couldn't think of any better finale material than those moments.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

@the-movieghost Well, right off the bat they've set up the battle at Fist of the First Men. So they better deliver. That would make an incredible opening episode.

As for the Red Wedding, won't be too hard to do. And I think the battle at the Wall with Jon and the Wildlings will require some heavy SFX, but HBO should be throwing the proper amount of money at it by then. Scenes with Dany liberating the slave cities will also need a bigger budget.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

3. the MovieGhost

@dan1 Absolutely! I personally liked them more in the Season One premiere, with the shadows draped around them, but they do look just like I'd imagined. How well do you see them pulling off some of the... bigger... moments in ASoS?

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

@the-movieghost I had a true "ermagerd!!!" nerd moment. Watched that scene a few times. I love how the White Walkers look.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

5. Justice Kowaleski

@skywise they are awesome books im very disappointed with the last 3 however. I understand he changed his writing style but seriously there is way too much detail and people just sitting around. and the 7th one many characters get offed with out any closure or development. I have thrown my copy of the 7th book so many times. i have 300 pages left and there has only been one scene that I have been very fond of.

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

6. the MovieGhost

@dan1 Oh believe me it's as much my pleasure "spreading the word" about them as it is yours reading about it.

You mentioned the Battle of Blackwater in the TV Series... I too thought they did "well" but not up to what the book had set up. Understandable but underwhelming. And I agree about that end shot. As soon as I heard the three blasts... I got chills. More so that they were bringing in elements from ASoS though.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

7. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Yes I have...

@dan1 You know it's Monkey's birthday today... ;)

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

Anyone ever read Eragon?

@skywise I enjoyed the back and forth with Tywin and Arya. We know Tywin is a hard man, so it was amusing to see him compliment and make small talk with the daughter/sister of his enemy. Also thought they handled the Blackwater battle fairly well. That was easily my favorite episode so far (besides like the last 20 minutes of the finale. Dragons, zombies, White Walkers, wizards, omens)

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

@john-m But I agree with her getting those novels done. I love the story because of Katniss. It is not often that we get such a heroic woman in movies (or novels) that is also vulnerable.

The more I think on it the more I want to read the books.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@dan1 It is my favorite fantasy series too...hell I might go so far as to say my favorite series period.

I did read the first Sword of Truth book and its very very well written. A very focused story which I appreciate. I have heard others say that some of the books are crap but as you mentioned to me before, the payoff in the end is worth the time. So I will be reading them all. But damn Ice and Fire has me (on tv and in novels). I really enjoy some of the added stuff for the tv series, particularly Arya's character and the stuff in the books that didnt make the show. Its fantastic all round. I am absolutly hooked.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@john-m A lot of people share your sentiments but it is the simplistic writing style that I refer to. It just did not grab me....but you know, maybe I should give it another shot down the line. Everyone I know...mostly adults, have raved about the books.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

14. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Ugh the first was alright, but so overrated. Another teeny bopper series based on books with the final book broken up into 2 movies... Harry Potter, Twilight wanna be sh*t.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

@john-m@skywise@the-movieghost@justice-kowaleski I love reading about people talking about GOT/Ice n Fire. Favorite fantasy series.

Dunno if you guys have done Sword of Truth, but some of those books are really good (some are total sh*t).

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. John M

@skywise: I loved the film, but it wasn't quiet as good as the novel. To be honest I don't consider her novel's young adult. Their a lot better than any young adult novel I've read before, and even better then many fiction novel's I've read.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

17. ROFLitschristian

One step closer. :)

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

@john-m I picked up the first book a while back and I was disapointed with the writing style. It was very...blocky and obstuse. Soemthing about the language did not sit well with me. And that is fine for young adult novels. You can get away with a lot of technical mistakes that you could never get away with in adult novels in the same genre. Harry Potter for instance flowed very well and was somewhat poetic. I respect Collins but I the novels are not for me. I loved the movie though. I know I might catch some flak for saying that but its just my opinion.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

19. John M

@skywise: That's the problem with fantasy, and novels in general it can be 3 or more years between novels and if there are a ton of them that's a lot of years to read the ending of series that might not be good or be a major let down.

You got to give it to Suzanne Collins she got her series done in half a decade. Sure she could have expanded the stories, but she decided to focus on Katniss and Peeta. Could the ending have been to Mockingjay been expanded and little better yes, but it was still good.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

@justice-kowaleski You are lucky to have been able to read them back to back. I bagan reading the series when the 2nd book came out. yes I am that old. And had to wait quite some time between books. I tend to forget a lot in that time. I have been meaning to go back and read them back to back but I am working my way thru a Song of Ice and Fire ATM.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

21. the MovieGhost

@justice-kowaleski I love them personally. I started reading them after watching the first Season on HBO. What @john-m said is true, in fact I'd say they're detail overdose at some points, but it's still a great series. Definitely one of my favorite book series.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

22. ChiRep_1

Best news all day!

@bawnian-dexeus Because Hollywood assumes we're too stupid to make the connection

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

23. Justice Kowaleski

@john-m I have no problem with length. the dark tower series consumed almost 2 years of my life, with breaks in between to read the hunger games trilogy and Robert Ludlums Bourne Trilogy which was phenomenal. I will also check out those other series you mentioned thanks.

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

24. John M

@justice-kowaleski: Martin's books are pretty good, except their a little long winded, and he seems to want to drag them out or has no clue how to end the series. I recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, but like Martin he's series drags on, and the author is dead with another author finishing the series.

I highly recommend David Edding's and Suzanne Collin's series.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

25. Justice Kowaleski

also @the-movieghost once you start reading catching fire you will not be able to put it down. In my opinion its the best book in the trilogy

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

26. Justice Kowaleski

@the-movieghost how are the game of thrones books? I am almost finished with the last dark tower book (and what an utter disappointment it is) and i need something new to start and was thinking about reading those. if any one has any good suggestions I am open to reading anything.

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

27. the MovieGhost

@bawnian-dexeus Because that would be too easy.

@john-m Well because I'm almost done with it. I think I'm in the high 900's page-wise.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

28. John M

@the-movieghost: Why wait. It's only the third book in George R. R. Martin series, and it's probably going to be years before he finishes it while Suzanne Collins series is done.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

Why not just call it catching fire?