'The Hobbit' to Net Orlando Bloom $1m for Two-Minute Appearance

The 'Lord of the Rings' cast member is set to reprise his role as Legolas in the upcoming sequel.
Orlando Bloom to net $1m for The Hobbit cameo
Orlando Bloom to net $1m for The Hobbit cameo
A new report indicates that Orlando Bloom is set to earn $1 million dollars for his upcoming return as Legolas in The Hobbit. The catch is, he will only be in the upcoming Peter Jackson directed prequel for less than two minutes, which makes his return to the The Lord of the Rings universe a fleeting cameo. And an expensive one at that.

Bloom's participation is expected to be confirmed at any minute, with returning cast members Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, and Elijah Wood all already confirmed to appear in The Hobbit. Out of the returning cast members, Bloom is reported to be earning the most money on a per minute average, as his once and future cast mates all have substantially larger roles in this new story. He will also be making more than headlining actors Robert Kazinsky and Aidan Turner, who play Bilbo's Dwarf companions Fili and Kili, combined.

Dominic Monaghan's return as Merry is also expected to be announced soon. His character will appear alongside Elijah Wood's Frodo in book-ending sequences meant to set up this tale. There has been no word as to Sean Astin and Billy Boyd's return as Samwise and Pippin, respectively. But if it is to happen, we will surely hear about it by week's end.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was released December 14th, 2012 and stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Sources: Heat World

1. Kxmode

That's $500k per minute... the same lawyers charge!

3 years agoby @KxmodeFlag

2. CUPID

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

3. Kendra Taylor

No one can possibly know how excited I am by Peter Jackson producing AND directing the Hobbit, as well as -hopefully- Howard Shore composing. IF you mix that in with me being able to see Orlando Bloom as Legolas (which is how I've become an orli fan girl), Ian McKellan, Cate Blanchett, and Elijah Wood, man talk about crazy!

3 years agoby @Kendra-TaylorFlag

4. Josh

The sum is excessive, but the fact that he's going to be in the movie is good news and makes a lot of sense. It's nice that Jackson is trying to set up a real continuity between these two stories.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

5. DS177

@Todd89 Oh yea I forgot

4 years agoby @ds177Flag

6. Huzzle

Ah, c'mon. While this is being reported all over the web, it seems to all have come from one source - London's The Sun, which isn't exactly known for its veracity. I doubt it's true. And if it *is* true, I'd guess it's a flat fee, as opposed to the main cast members, who would get less money upfront, but get a percentage of the box office, merchandising, etc. Going the standard route (salary plus points) for a cameo would be a much more complicated process and probably cost the studio more money in the long run if The Hobbit makes anywhere near the billion dollars BO of Return of the King. That high a fee upfront would make sense if it's the grand total of what he's getting.

4 years agoby @huzzleFlag

7. Xenon

DS177 both Ryan and Topher had a lot more scene time than two minutes. Ryan had ten or more minutes, Topher had about maybe 20 to 30 minutes. So it's slightly different.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

8. DS177

$1 million dollars? That's ridiculous, how much did Ryan Reynolds and Topher Grace get paid for their 2 minute roles in Wolverine and Spider-Man 3? That's crazy.

4 years agoby @ds177Flag

@Furankisan, exactly. He draws people in. However, I think it's pretty necessary to have Legolas in the film, since his father, and his entire realm will be involved in the film. Also, the article never states who offered what, so the studio could simply be offering Bloom the million right off the gate, to speed things up.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

10. Furankisan

Sorry but this is a waste of money for a cameo. He could be mentioed by another character as in LOTR alot of detail was not mentioned due to time restraint. It's obvious the studio wants him to due to his female fan base. Hence all those damn posters.

4 years agoby @furankisanFlag

@ParkWilliams, exactly. It's the only way this thing would work and coincide with the events of Lotr.

@Supes, nope. When I tried to get an audience with him, he was apparently too busy talking to Ottley. :P

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

12. ParkWilliams

@Narrator: I said something similar in an earlier thread. The final bookend scene should fit in between the party's return to Hobbition in RotK and their trip to the Grey Havens.

4 years agoby @azadorFlag

13. ZanyZap

@Narrator: I like it!

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

Hmm, that makes perfect sense @Narrator. You sure you and Jackson haven't been talking? :P

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

15. Worth5Bucks

@narrator great idea! Jackman would be perfect

4 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

@Narrator, thanks. I think you're idea is a great one.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

P.S. Who the f*ck is gonna play Bard? Jackman isn't half bad, but he is probably busy.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

@ejk, yes. When Frodo awakes at Rivendell, and sees Bilbo (now aged a bit) he greets him, an notices that he's finished his book. He even quotes, "'There and Back Again', a Hobbit's tale by Bilbo Baggins." However seeing as how he doesn't have time to read it, we must assume that it was read quite a while later, most likely while he was writing his own trilogy: The Lord of the Rings. Seeing as how the creators of the film claim that Frodo will be reading from the Red Book, it will have to be after the events of Return of the King (save for the Grey Havens). Sure they can fit it in somewhere before Fellowship of the Rings, hell even the opening in which Frodo is reading a book while Gandalf arrives in Hobbiton. Either way, I am fine with, it just seems messy for them to place the story before Lotr.

I would say that they do it this way: The opening of the first Hobbit film can be with Frodo reading the novel in the woods, during the beginning of "Fellowship..." It would of course be an unfinished book, which might be why Frodo says to Bilbo in Rivendell, "You finished it." Then the final Hobbit film can have Frodo finishing up the story after the events of the Return of the King (when he's writing Lotr). It would have continuity with the films, and of course, please fans like ourselves.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

19. The Dark Knight

man I wish I could make that much just for a cameo

4 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag

@Narrator, refresh my memory. Did they show anything of There and Back Again in LOTR. If not, then I I don't think it's a big deal. Jackson can manipulate a few things, and this is a minor part, in all honesty. A change here won't hurt anything.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

@ejk, the Hobbit, or "There and Back Again" wasn't completed until halfway through Fellowship, when Frodo arrived at Rivendell.

Also, @Narzion, he played Legolas to a tee. Seriously. He wasn't the greatest actor in the cast, but he embodied his role just as well as everyone else in the films, which in turn made his character one of the more potent and well received of the film franchise (no sh*t, I saw like 5 Legolas posters in every Walmart store I went to, as opposed to a Aragorn poster here, or a Gandalf poster there, not counting other comic shops). Trust me, 1 million isn't asking that much. Look at @ejk's first comment. He sells, so they'll offer him a million bucks. That's how things work. This really isn't a huge deal. We should all be glad that they're even bringing him back at all.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

22. IlikePie202

it's OrlandO, not Orland. he should be in it more.

4 years agoby @Ilikepie202Flag

Well, if we start with The Hobbit, and we see Frodo opening and closing the book, it can be assumed that his scenes take place before the events of LOTR. They could even give him a line like, "I wonder what it would be like to go on an adventure?" I think something like that could provide a seamless transition to LOTR.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

24. slysnide

@ejk1: Agreed. Though it'd be better if they just told the story without the bookends as it makes it more in toe with LOTR, for new generations to watch them all in order without going, wtf? :P

4 years agoby @slysnideFlag

Frodo opening the book in the beginning, and closing it at the end is okay. The other Hobbits are somewhat superfluous.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

26. Xenon

Orlando did a better performance in LOTR trilogy, after that he stank in POTC films.
    Since the character was mentioned in the book, then it should be again in the film, well that's how I see it.

I can see Aragon in this since he's old enough. This is going to be interesting to see once it's all done. I guess that some of part two will feature the original cast around a campfire as they listen to Frodo reads them the story, before Balamire died.'Can't remember his name'

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

27. slysnide

@ejk1 & @Chuchi: You're both right, It's ridiculous that Hollywood dishes out such cash sums for lousy cameos. Granted they have the money to spend, it could be much better spent elsewheres.

And what's with bringing back all these characters whom weren't in the book? Legolas makes sense for the Elf Castle in Mirkwood, but all the hobbits whom weren't even alive when the story took place? Keep in mind that "The Hobbit" was 6 decades prior to LOTR, and Bilbo not aging was a story point about the Ring in LOTR1. So there's no reason for ANY of the hobbits to appear in "The Hobbit." Now the as of yet untitled sequel, then sure since nobody knows when exactly it takes place in the timeline. But elseways, don't bother bringing them all back. Spend the money on the new guys who are doing all the hard work that deserve it! Like the people playing the dwarves whom had to go to dwarf camp. :P

4 years agoby @slysnideFlag

28. K-Man

I think he should have more than two minutes of screen time, especially for $1 million. His father, Thranduil, imprisons the dwarves so he should at least be there for that, as well as several other scenes. I'd like to see him and some of the other Mirkwood elves beat some Mirkwood spider ass, too.

Either way, I'm glad he's coming back.

4 years agoby @k-manFlag

29. Brian

I'm all for this. Legolas seen in Mirkwood makes sense and I was definitely hoping this would happen. I think these old cast members would do anything to get back to LOTR and in Peter Jackson's clutches. This stuff is great!

4 years agoby @brianFlag

30. T.Clark

I wish I was paid a million bucks every time I made an appearance for two minutes somewhere.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag