'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' Trailer!

Martin Freeman continues his journey as Bilbo Baggins in the second part of director Peter Jackson's Middle Earth trilogy, in theaters December 13th.
As promised, Warner Bros. has released the first trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the second installment of director Peter Jackson's pre-Lord of the Rings trilogy. Martin Freeman is back as Bilbo Baggins, having escaped with the rest of his party from the treacherous Misty Mountains. We also get a few additions to the cast, with Evangeline Lilly portraying the elf Tauriel, and Benedict Cumberbatch voicing the dragon Smaug. Take a look at the first footage from this highly-anticipated Middle Earth adventure, debuting in 2D and 3D theaters nationwide on December 13. We also have the international trailer, which is slightly different from the stateside version.

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #1
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #2
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #3
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #4
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #5
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #6
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #7
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #8
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #9
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #10
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #11
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Trailer Photo #12

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was released December 13th, 2013 and stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Sources: Warner Bros.

1. Erika Dolce

Nice.

10 months agoby @Erika-DolceFlag

2. undeadslayer4

@narrator they couldve did the same thing with gollem in the hobbit trailer for cgi peter jackson didnt aquire cgi back then and u should add into darkness for best cgi i agree that if there was no cgi in the hobbit it wouldve been horrible fwi computer animated and enhanced effects are the same as visual effects and 3d animation its all the same in some differences the hobbit needed to be kidish so it could expand the world middle earth a bit more and make it like a resonable journey but i bet they are going to do more in smaug but in smaug i can tell u there will be more action and finally ive not wasted my time repling to u and i hope this is more reasonable

10 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

3. undeadslayer4

@ChiRep-1 the cgi blended in quite well with the film i dont think they over did it

10 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

4. Josh

More of the cartoonish action scenes and overreliance on CGI that really hurt the first movie are evident in this trailer, but hopefully there will be enough of that meaty reveling in Middle Earth that Jackson does so well that will elevate it.

10 months agoby @shuabertFlag

5. ChiRep_1

@undeadslayer4 It seems artificial and over saturated, as if the entire film was over-layed with an Instagram filter...

10 months agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

@undeadslayer4 Obviously. Anyone who has ever read Tolkien's work or even comprehended half of the foreboding hints in the first Hobbit film understands that the Necromancer is Sauron trying to retake corporeal form. Nonetheless it would be a spoiler for us because seeing the Necromancer is something I'd rather have to wait and pay to see. Some things just shouldn't be shown in trailers in order, and C*mberbatch's character is just such a thing.

As for The Hobbit and Avatar being better film because of CGI, I'll easily agree in the case of the latter, but not in the former. It's true that CGI has opened doors for numerous films to be made that would have otherwise been impossible to create, many of which have gone on to blow our minds. CGI is a fantastic tool in a director's arsenal, no question about it. You know this, I know this, so don't insult me by suggesting I think otherwise. I'm simply against directors taking the presently easier road, and sometimes cheaper one, and foregoing a more practical approach that is obviously far more believable. When CGI stops being a tool and starts being a crutch, and it was abundantly clear that this was the case in An Unexpected Journey, it becomes gimmicky. I'm obviously not saying there should be no CGI as that would be ridiculous. This film NEEDS computer animated and enhanced effects. What I'm saying is Jackson needs to tone it down and return to the practical roots he so effectively utilized throughout Lord of the Rings. Otherwise it will continue to NOT be taken seriously by a good deal of moviegoers.

As for the two films being childish, don't put words in my mouth. Your comment implies it's because of the CGI when I obviously stated that the humor also factored into the immaturity of the first Hobbit film. Some childlike qualities are required in order for this to be a proper introduction because it's a - wait for it - children's book. That's established, and saying it's not childish is pointless because everyone involved in the film knows it's based off of a book aimed at twelve year olds. It's hardly an insult when one considers it's supposed to be somewhat immature and grandiose for preteens and adults alike to enjoy. That being said, it was far less mature than I had hoped it would be due to an unnecessary amount of gags, slapstick, and "captain obvious" moments wherein the characters spell everything out for you. Unfortunately, this sequel seems to be following the same path though I'll still watch and enjoy it regardless because I'm just that big of a fan of Middle Earth.

Actually... scratch everything I just said (you probably didn't retain it anyway). I just saw your comment about The Hobbit being great compared to The Lord of the Rings (two tonally different entities embodying the same fanspace and mythological universe). It's apparent now that you're not a reasonable person so I just wasted five minutes of my life.

10 months agoby @narratorFlag

7. undeadslayer4

@jonspidey07 how could he be the dragon

10 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

8. undeadslayer4

@ChiRep-1 thats how avatar and the hobbit were great movies

10 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

9. undeadslayer4

@raoulduke33 face it the hobbit was a great movie compared to the lord of the rings desolation of smaug is gonna be better

10 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

10. Zak Lee Ferguson

Looks crass, looks overtly visualized, CGI hyped, Bloom cannot act, the story is stretched, and this trailer pin points that, and it is all but cut of of particular elongated sequences. I for one am not looking forward to this! ( thumbs down )

10 months agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

11. undeadslayer4

@narrator the necromancer is Sauron everyone knows and CGI has made the hobbit and Avatar way better than its suppost to be it is not kiddish

10 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

A real spoiler would have been revealing the Necromancer, something that's not even featured in the canon. What I did see of Smaug, however, felt... awkward? I can't wait to see him in his full glory on screen and judge accordingly, but for now, I feel that Jackson and his editors could have left him out altogether.

Glad to see Evangeline Lilly having a dominant role in this romp, though she could have been featured heavily in this trailer to attract a female audience. What I'm really concerned about is the abundant use of CGI. Jackson, throughout the making-of Lotr, was a very practically driven man. This came from his indie background, with his slimy but explosively fun horror and camp flicks, where he always had a limited budget. It's apparent that he's been seduced by the ways of CGI in a post Avatar world, though I'll argue that the Star Wars prequels or even his own widely successful "Kong" remake is what started the now obnoxious trend of green screen, mo-cap, and rotoscope overload.

The CGI makes this feel more childish than it needs to. Bearing in mind this is a child's adventure tale first and foremost, and not some monumental work of modern day literature like Lord of the Rings, we expect the humor aptly found in the Hobbit. What we didn't expect was the clunkiness of the gags and the over abundance (reliance, even) on digital work. Here's hoping this teaser is misleading and we truly get the perfectly balance holiday film we all want.

10 months agoby @narratorFlag

13. Corey W.

Looks good...I've accepted the fact that this trilogy will never be as excellent or ground-breaking as the original.

10 months agoby @coreyFlag

14. Monkeyiron 2.0

...MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 months agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

15. T. King (Red Camera Man)

I'm excited now! :-D

10 months agoby @redcameramanFlag

16. ed_wood

Damn...looks great.

10 months agoby @ed-woodFlag

17. Mr.K

>3< So wanna see it!

10 months agoby @mr-kFlag

18. CelluloidDreams

Looks interesting!! I got chills!!

10 months agoby @2movieguysFlag

19. ChiRep_1

Dude.. So much CGI. The runtime will determine if I see this or not

10 months agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

20. Raoul Duke

I'm sorry, but these films are so dumbed down and glitzed up I just can't take them seriously. Jackson holds our hands the entire time, constantly reminding us that The Hobbit and LOTR are connected. Unexpected Journey was a painted whor* of a film and I'm expecting about as much from DoS.

10 months agoby @raoulduke33Flag

21. Brizzy

... mother of god..

10 months agoby @BrizzyFlag

22. JonSpidey07

yes, it is about time!
    I found it frustrating that they made figures for both Legolas and Tauriel despite that the 2nd part wasn't even out yet
    that's major spoiling right there

but I am excited for this and the last part
    loved Benedict C*mberbatch in 'Star Trek Into Darkness', him as the dragon will be amazing

10 months agoby @jonspidey07Flag

23. LuxoIII

Want to watch REALLY BADLY, but I'm gonna wait to see it in front of Man of Steel!

10 months agoby @brady1138Flag

24. Thomas Clarke (Kiion)

I like the look of this film, it looks more action packed than the first part.

10 months agoby @thomasclarkeFlag

25. EmmyttWolfe

Looks decent.

10 months agoby @EmmyttWolfeFlag

26. Brian

So stoked!

10 months agoby @brianFlag

Bard the Bowman!

Can not wait to see this.

10 months agoby @skywiseFlag

For a second there, I didn't think Smaug would even be in the film.

10 months agoby @ejk1Flag

29. Gandalf05

Amazing trailer.

10 months agoby @gandalf05Flag

30. Ghostman

@kinsean92 Not really. It was just a teaser. Don't see it as being a spoiler for we have already seen Smaug in the first movie.

10 months agoby @ghostmanFlag