'The Hobbit' Still Not Green Lit

Peter Jackson still has passion for the project, but he has no idea when it will go into production or if he will be the director.
The Hobbit still not green lit
The Hobbit still not green lit
There has been much speculation that The Hobbit is going to get a green light soon, and that Peter Jackson is going to be announced as the director. Empire recently caught up with Peter Jackson, who states that the movie hasn't been okayed for production, and that he is still waiting for The Hobbit to move forward.

About all the recent chatter that The Hobbit is going to be green lit soon, Jackson had this to say:

"We are nowhere different to any other reports or conversations. We haven't got a green light yet. We're still waiting. Things still seem to be inching closer to some sort of happy place. I keep hearing that so many times now I've stopped tuning into it. We've seen these reports before, reports saying there was going to be a green light in a couple of days - well, a week's gone by and there isn't one. You can't believe everything you read. There is only one thing you want to believe and that's when the studio announces a green light. As far as I'm aware that's not going to be today. I keep hearing positive things."

Some have speculated that Peter Jackson has lost his enthusiasm for the project. But the director says that's simply not true, though he doesn't know if he will, in fact, direct The Hobbit or The Hobbit Sequel. He stated:

"I'm certainly happy to be involved. At the moment, I'm a writer and a producer on it. We'll see. Warner Bros. have been very, very good, very loyal and very supportive and I want to do what's right for them first and foremost because I've got a responsibility to look after their investment. And it's also something I am actually excited about so we'll see what happens. I've learnt never to get that excited until something is greenlit because there is a moment when you commit emotionally to a project and you give everything, your heart and soul. At that point, once you've done that and it doesn't happen, it's the most horrible thing in the world outside of stuff do with your family. It's the worst experience ever, to have a film fall over that you've committed 100% to. I always just protect myself and don't fully commit until I know for sure that it's happening. Then it gets my 100% commitment."

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was released December 14th, 2012 and stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Sources: Empire

1. the MovieGhost

I'm with Username, at least on that part.
    Still looking forward to this but, hopefully they get all this sh*t together... very soon.

4 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

2. T.Clark

It's easier to greenlight crappy movies because people don't have any expectations for them.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

3. Xenon

jackass 3D gets green light and half a dozen films that are utter garbage some how climb the chart of one weekend. It shows the actor and the people who watch how terrible some directors are.

They better green light this or else.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

4. ed_wood

I just really think that this movie will never happen. I hope I'm wrong.

4 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

No, your not stupid @mosorwvlad. Sometimes I think bout that, too. Seems like its been a lot of politics that have held this movie up, strange setbacks like fires, and MGM unable to put up their half..... maybe it truly is cursed lol.

Regardless, I retain my faith, and once its made, I will be there multiple times. I saw ROTK 5 times :D

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

6. mosorwvlad

How come movies like Meet the Spartans, Vampires Suck etc. doesn't have this problems ? How come movies that the producers know won't break the box office, they know there movies are crap are released into theaters. But with with 2 movies wich would make a huge amount of money they don't give green light. Am i the most stupid man on earth because i don't understand this ??

4 years agoby @mosorwvladFlag

7. T.Clark

Cursed...ya know, if you believe in that kind of stuff...

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

Son of a bitch.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

9. Emmytt

i want to see this but it wont happen

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

10. RojoDiablo

It's all about the money, from what I've heard, MGM just doesn't have the money to invest in it right now; the same with the Bond franchise.

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

11. WiseGuy

Oh Come On! Just starting filming the good damn thing! I'm sick of hearing about all this sh*t

4 years agoby @zgcorleone072Flag

12. slysnide

Narzion's comment should be made MW's #1 news story of the month. It'd get people thinking more.

@Navi1138: Just because there are dealys doesn't mean it won't be as good as they've been prepping it to be over the past 2yrs. They just need to get around this bs.

4 years agoby @slysnideFlag

13. Icegypsy

Of all the Tolkien books, the Hobbit is by far my favorite, and I can't wait to see it come to life on the big screen. I was wondering what the hold up was. I thought maybe it was the Tolkien family that had the movie on hold. I had no idea it was MGM. Why can't they look for another company to take on the project....or does MGM hold the rights to it?

4 years agoby @icegypsyFlag

14. LuxoIII

@Narzion: I don't think anyone could have said it better!!

4 years agoby @brady1138Flag

15. LuxoIII

You, know what? I don't care any more, I really don't. When there are real developments on this project, I may start paying attention again, but for now, I'm giving up. The Hobbit films are simply not meant to be and, despite their efforts, Peter Jackson and company should move on, because, by now, there is little chance the movie would end up being a good one, anyway.

4 years agoby @brady1138Flag

16. moviegeek

I'm losing interest in this project. Quickly...

4 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

@Narzion Totally agree. F*ck you Hollywood. Michael Bay trash is greenlit and made sure of, of its production, with an abusive, *sshole director, but good people with good movie ideas are given the run around. Yep, that sounds like real life to me.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

18. Cripple

@B3njamin, come to think of it, this whole debacle would make an interesting doc*mentary.

4 years agoby @crippleFlag

19. The Kwisatz Haderach

aaaaahhhhh crap! you got to be kidding me

4 years agoby @the-kwisatz-haderachFlag

20. B3njamin

This is becoming its own little f*cking drama series.. and I'm not amused

4 years agoby @b3njaminFlag

21. Narzion

hobbit Not Green Lit, alien prequel Not Green Lit, but transformers 3 is - F*CK YOU HOLLYWOOD PEOPLE

4 years agoby @narzionFlag

22. DoubleR0522

@Drifter49 i agree, lol

4 years agoby @doubler0522Flag

23. Brian

Sorry Peter Jackson isn't wearing tights @avatarsequal.

4 years agoby @brianFlag

Its really heart breaking. Mystic forces at work here. I really want it to happen but i wont hold my breath.

4 years agoby @skywiseFlag

25. Goodbye

Problem after f*cking problem.Just find a solution and get this movie underway

4 years agoby @drifter49Flag