'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' TV Spot Reveals Smaug the Dragon

Get your first quick glimpse at the dragon voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch in Peter Jackson's prequel adventure, in theaters this December.
A tenth TV spot has arrived for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. This one offers a few quick glimpses of Smaug the Dragon, voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch. This notorious dragon has stolen the Dwarves treasure of gold and taken control of Lonely Mountain. Watch, as it is up to Bilbo Baggins to reclaim the mountain and kill the dragon!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was released December 14th, 2012 and stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Lol, @the-movieghost. I was 14 at the time of RotK. First midnight showing, man. Oh, and I forgot Avatar in that list. And it's cool if you're not, I was just curious. :P

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

2. Geekster

He isnt voiced he is played by benidict C*mberbach- critics and film journalists are so lazy these days

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

3. the MovieGhost

Very nice list there @narrator. I would've loved to have seen Return of the King that way, but I was 11 at the time of its release xD

Actually, I hate to disappoint, I'm not the other dude that lives in Britain. I'm currently located in Michigan :P

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

Nice, @the-movieghost. I've been to nine myself - Return of the King, Shrek 2 (free tickets), Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Dark Knight, Tron Legacy, Green Lantern (regret), The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and Looper. The Hobbit will fittingly be number ten. :D

Btw, would you happen to be the other dude on this site that I know lives in Britain, aside from J.A. Ottley?

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

5. the MovieGhost

I'd figured as much @narrator. A TV spot that I saw a while ago had a battle scene in a sunny-looking place, with Thorin appearing quite... blood-covered. And now that you mention that, a regaling tale would alleviate some traveling boredom.

As of November 8th, I'm up to five: Fast Five, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, Prometheus, and Skyfall.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

It should be a flashback scene, @the-movieghost. In the book, the dwarves - namely Thorin and Balin - regale Bilbo with tales of their youth and how the Lonely Mountain was once this amazing place of productivity and happiness for all races involved. Then down came Smaug and washed the spiders, erm, I mean, dwaves out. Queue awesome flashback scene. It's the only explanation for Smaug even having an appearance in this first installment, as following the story from his or any of the lake-men's perspectives even briefly would be a terrible narrative choice on their part.

Btw, how many midnight showings are you up to, friend?

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

7. MasterSPLINTER

Looks amazing.

2 years agoby @MasterSPLINTERFlag

8. the MovieGhost

@ROFLitschristian It shall be glorious! Hopefully I'll be able to add another Midnight Showing to my list.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

9. ROFLitschristian

@the-movieghost There's no telling. I just can't wait 2 more weeks!

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

10. the MovieGhost

@ROFLitschristian I have to wonder if the scenes we briefly see him in are some sort of flashback...

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

11. Xenon

I wish someone would remake D&D it's high time for it and I want Zack to direct it. Loved Sucker Punched

Smaug, about time we get to see him.
    Love some dragon films

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

12. CelluloidDreams

Dragons!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

13. Gandalf05

this tv spot is amazing

2 years agoby @gandalf05Flag

14. Christopher Lino

If you mean glimpse you mean his wing, his tail...then yeah I totally saw Smaug.

2 years agoby @christopher-linoFlag