'The Great Gatsby' Moves to May of 2013

Baz Luhrmann directs this 3D adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel, arriving in theaters this summer.
The Great Gatsby set for release on May 10, 2013
The Great Gatsby set for release on May 10, 2013
Warner Bros. Pictures' and Village Roadshow Pictures' The Great Gatsby will open early in the Summer 2013 season, hitting theaters on May 10 in the U.S. and Canada, with an international rollout beginning the following week. The announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, and Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Fellman stated, "Audiences have been looking forward to Baz Luhrmann's film adaptation of one of the most beloved books of all time, and we felt this beautifully extravagant and dramatic film would be a perfect way for us to kick off our Summer slate."

Kwan Vandenberg added, "Baz's unique take on Gatsby is glitzy and glamorous, with his juxtaposition of the classic tale and contemporary themes hitting just the right note. This film should really add heat to the competitive Summer season."

From the uniquely imaginative mind of writer/producer/director Baz Luhrmann comes the new big screen adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby. The filmmaker has created his own distinctive visual interpretation of the classic story, bringing the period to life in a way that has never been seen before, in a film starring Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role.

The Great Gatsby follows Fitzgerald-like, would-be writer Nick Carraway as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz, bootleg kings, and sky-rocketing stocks. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby, and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy, and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without of the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.

Academy Award nominee DiCaprio (J. Edgar, The Aviator) plays Jay Gatsby, with Tobey Maguire starring as Nick Carraway; Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan (An Education) and Joel Edgerton as Daisy and Tom Buchanan; Isla Fisher and Jason Clarke as Myrtle and George Wilson; and newcomer Elizabeth Debicki as Jordan Baker. Indian film legend Amitabh Bachchan will play the role of Meyer Wolfsheim.

Oscar nominee Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) directs the film in 3D from a screenplay co-written with frequent collaborator Craig Pearce, based on Fitzgerald's book. Luhrmann produces, along with Catherine Martin, Academy Award winner Douglas Wick (Gladiator), Lucy Fisher and Catherine Knapman. The executive producers are Academy Award winner Barrie M. Osborne (The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King) and Bruce Berman.

Two-time Academy Award-winning production and costume designer Catherine Martin (Moulin Rouge) designs as well as produces. The editors are Matt Villa, Jason Ballantine and Jonathan Redmond, and the director of photography is Simon Duggan. The music is by Craig Armstrong.

Warner Bros. Pictures presents, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, in association with A&E Television, a Bazmark/Red Wagon Entertainment Production, a Film by Baz Luhrmann, The Great Gatsby. In theaters May 10, 2013, the film will be distributed in 3D and 2D by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.

The Great Gatsby was released May 10th, 2013 and stars Lisa Adam, Frank Aldridge, Amitabh Bachchan, Steve Bisley, Richard Carter, Jason Clarke, Adelaide Clemens, Vince Colosimo. The film is directed by Baz Luhrmann.

@corey Always the job you want

2. CelluloidDreams

HOORAY!!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

@corey Dude, I am in debt up to my ass, but if everything works out, it will be worth it. Benefits are great and useful, but you are still very young. You can be covered by either your parents health insurance for close to another decade, or go on the college program. In the end it is your choice, and if you go CG, I'll respect your decision, but as someone who I first and for a long time knew as "Screenwriter," I hope you chase your dreams, if at least for a little while.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

4. Corey W.

@ejk1 Wow you've got it all figured out. Wish I knew what I wanted. Hopefully starting what I want to do in January, if it be school (which will cost a lot) or possibly joining the Coast Guard. One of them will quite possibly put me in debt while the other has some pretty decent benefits. Yet I'm still torn.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

@corey Well, I'm done with my English degree. I got my B.A. in 2011. But law school is NO JOKE! Usually between 30-50 pages of very dense material to read, and it takes about an hour to an hour and a half for every ten pages. That means I have about five hours of hw a night. And to top it off, I'm really thinking about going for an M.B.A. in Journalism to add on, which would enhance my Media Law capabilities, should I choose to go that route. But it's very early and I'll check out as many options as I can, such as Business, Sports, and International Law.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

6. Corey W.

@ejk1 haha I won't! You major in English though, huh? With that and law school (right?) you must go through a lot? I can't imagine.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

@corey Psst...it's the English Major in me. Don't tell anyone, lol.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

8. Corey W.

@ejk1 ok.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

@corey Doesn't really matter, just a matter of word choice.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

10. Corey W.

@ejk1 Sure. I don't see why how it's said matters, but sure :P

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

11. THE JOKER

@ejk1 haha Most of the time I know I am fried in the mornings and afternoons! I will have to pull up my itinerary for all my times! I've never gotten to go to Minneapolis so I must say I am excited, even if I won't get to do a lot of exploring! haha

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@mcleve02 I might be in downtown tomorrow. I have to go to Target, but it would be early in the day. I have a lot of homework that needs to be done this weekend.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

13. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Agreed.

@corey I realize that; I was simply rehashing it for my own amusement, and to raise the point in which @ejk1 just reiterated. The reason I bring it up now is because Only God Forgives, The Place Beyond the Pines, and To the Wonder were all pushed back to next year, creating a crater-sized void in this year's lineup, and one that, had Gatsby played his cards right, would've most likely ended up filling had it kept its original Christmas Day release date. Now it's not going to stand a chance. Like @ejk1 put it, Gatsby pretty much dug its own grave by making this move.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

14. gumperman

"Fellman stated, "Audiences have been looking forward to Baz Luhrmann's film adaptation of one of the most beloved books of all time..." So you admit this, and still push the movie back to May? Studio Presidents are morons.

2 years agoby @gumpermanFlag

15. THE JOKER

@ejk1 Damn... I fly out there tonight... at a whopping 230am... plus it's about 10 degrees colder there than here... But oh well! Thankfully I will be spending a lot of my time either in my hotel writing or at the convention center... I am actually no longer staying at the Millennium either... I got a lower rate at the Hyatt... as strange as that is!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@corey So wouldn't that be pushed up, instead of pushed back?

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

17. Corey W.

@ejk1 It was pushed from December to July then moved it back to May

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

@corey Pushed it back, or moved it up?

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

19. Corey W.

two months*

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

20. Corey W.

@thedude-abides Dude they moved this from 2012 to 2013 over a month ago. It moved to July of 2013 and now they've pushed it back a month.

This film moving to next year is old news.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

Well, when you put it that way

@mcleve02 I haven't seen a movie theater anywhere around here. Remember, I've been here for just over three weeks, lol. And most of my time has been spent in the law school.

@thedude-abides I know people can say that I'm biased because I couldn't give a rat's ass for this film, but judging where they moved it, I'm not even seeing how it will make big money. A week after Iron Man 3, and a week before Star Trek 2, with Fast 6 a week after that? That sounds like a burial to me, not a cash grab.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

23. CUPID

Dont care.

2 years agoby @cupidFlag

24. Jacob Fredrick

old news?

2 years agoby @Jacob-FredrickFlag

25. THE JOKER

@thedude-abides The perhaps they feel they can not compete against either year so they would rather release during the other big movie season time, which would be in May...

And yeah man... I really hope so too... Like I said I will be in Minneapolis this weekend for work... I will see if they might be showing it up there and try and swing it in...

I could always just ask @ejk1 since he knows what goes on it that area!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

26. thedude-abides

@mcleve02 That really sucks, man. Hopefully they will have listings closer to you by tomorrow.

But to answer your question, I think it has every bit to do with that. Where I take exception is in the fact that, if they are trying to maximize their awards potential (which is clearly what they're trying to do by pushing the film back to next year), the number of contenders in 2013 far outweigh the those in 2012. Sure the heavy hitters are all coming out this year, and maybe they feel they can't best them in the eyes of voters, but at least they would've curried some favor as far as nominations are concerned with a Christmas Day 2012 release. By coming out May of next year, in the midst of that murderer's row of films coming out, they'll be lucky if they even get nominations. That's how I see it, anyway.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

27. JonSpidey07

I hate this so much
    would these people stop delaying already?
    waiting longer is stupid

2 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

28. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus See I think that if they can clean that CGI up, it will give it a really majestic feel... but if not, this has King Kong written all over it... but given the amount of time we have until its release, I imagine they will get everything in pristine shape

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@mcleve02 My only problem is the CGI background the trailer showcased. Assuming the movie is filmed like that in the majority. I don't know

30. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus See that was my thought when I gave this article a thumbs up... and to be completely honest, if the film is awesome who really gives a damn if they have a little gold man to prove it, I will still enjoy the sh*t out of the thing!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag