'The Girl Who Played with Fire' Delays 2013 Release Date

Sony's sequel to 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is stalled because Steven Zaillian hasn't finished writing the script.
The Girl Who Played With Fire will not come out in 2013
The Girl Who Played With Fire will not come out in 2013
Back in January, Sony reps revealed that their sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, is still in the works, with Steven Zaillian writing the script. The studio was planning on a late 2013 release, although that is not the case anymore.

Steven Zaillian is still working on the script, and nothing will move ahead until they have the screenplay locked in. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo director David Fincher remains the top choice to make this follow-up, although no deals are in place yet. Insiders claim that Sony isn't in any rush to push this sequel along quickly.

Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara have deals in place to return as Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo took in $233 million worldwide, from a $90 million production budget.

The Girl Who Played with Fire is in development and stars Rooney Mara, Daniel Craig. The film is directed by David Fincher.

1. Caitlin Marie

It is all a money issue..not so much "artistic" delays according to all the news at any rate.

1 year agoby @Caitlin-MarieFlag

2. Caitlin Marie

I saw the Sweedish version, and thought it was very good.Sony should suck it up and just finish this movie already it can not cost that much money...what is taking so long????

1 year agoby @Caitlin-MarieFlag

3. Ebm Gypsy

I so loved this American version, I have it playing now lolz, I am really looking forward to the sequel. I am a big fan of the original 3 Sweedish films with Noomi Rapace

1 year agoby @Ebm-GypsyFlag

4. Asiyah A. Ali

I wish they would hurry up with it. Beyond excited for the sequel. Daniel Craig and Rooney Hara were brilliant!

1 year agoby @Asiyah-A-AliFlag

5. J Black

The scripts not finished? Stieg Larsson already wrote it, shouldn't take that long to adapt or copy the Swedish version. I'm really not a fan of Rooney Mara, Noomi Rapace did it so much better.

1 year agoby @J-BlackFlag

6. Nette Villabeza

can't wait to watch this.hoho

1 year agoby @Nette-VillabezaFlag

7. SherlockHolmes2009

@bawnian-dexeus Ha true true @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I think Fincher will come back, he seemed to be interested in directing the whole trilogy in an interview. If its better than its predecessor than that will be amazing

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

8. Mwheeler1324

So glad they are making a sequel to this movie. I never read the book or seen the other movie version this movie. But I loved this movie it was captivating good story the cast was great. I really was surprised how much got into this movie. So looks like they want to make the next one even better then the first one or just as good.

2 years agoby @mwheeler1324Flag

9. phatalphd

ehh, I gave up caring for this trilogy. The swedish version (?) is superb.

2 years agoby @phatalphdFlag

10. Basquat

@stiles Now that's true. It's strange to, cause in the US version they stayed extremely true to the book, except for that one thing. And it was a completely unnecessary change to make

2 years agoby @basquatFlag

11. Stiles

@basquat Der, my bad - I meant to say the victims identity and by that I meant:

MASSIVE SPOILERS

Book: The real Anita Vanger lives in London and is traced by Plague and Salander. Blomkvist goes to talk to her and they tap her house. They overhear the conversation between Anita and another woman immediately after Mikael leaves. Shortly thereafter, Mikael goes to visit Harriet who has taken Anita's name and now lives in Australia.
    Film: The real Anita Vanger died of breast cancer. Harriet takes over Anita's name when she moves to Australia.

2 years agoby @stilesFlag

12. THE JOKER

Delays are usually a good sign that they are trying to make sure the film is being done correctly

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

13. Basquat

@stiles What? They didn't change the killer.

2 years agoby @basquatFlag

14. jasdjqs

Dont rush it

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

15. moviegeek

Get it right or don't do it.

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

@ROFLitschristian@SherlockHolmes2009@narrator@skywise@thedude-abides Long as they don't get greedy (Ha!) we're good. Dunno why studios even rush movies one year after the other, this isn't bloody Twilight. So yeah, patience from both ends.

17. SherlockHolmes2009

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx@ROFLitschristian I agree with both of you. I dont want Zallian to rush this, I want it to be just as good as Dragon Tattoo, which has become one of my more recent favorite films

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

18. SpaceCowboy

Nothing wrong with that.

2 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

Agreed, @thedude-abides. I'm more than willing to patiently wait if the sequel is as f*cking awesome as it's american predecessor and/or Swedish counterpart.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

20. ridgl

I'm honestly surprised that they're doing another.

2 years agoby @ridglFlag

21. the MovieGhost

@thedude-abides@skywise That is the only upside to this.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

Better that they take their time rather than rush it out. It would be a mistake to begin filming before the script is finished.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

23. thedude-abides

Good news. A 2013 release is almost unrealistic at this point. Better they take their time and get it right than rush it.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

24. Replicant

@ROFLitschristian agreed. I wish they'd shoot both remaining films back-to-back though

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

They're probably finding it difficult to write the sex scenes. They were numerous and graphic in the novel.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

26. ROFLitschristian

Though I know it's in production and we'll get it eventually, the sentence, "Sony isn't in any rush to push this sequel along quickly," makes me worried and also kind of furious. Just because it wasn't a huge critical successes doesn't mean you should push it to the side. Dragon Tattoo is one of my favorite films in recent memory and I'd hate to see this series written off by its studio just because it had critical acclaim over a big box office haul. Get the cast, get Fincher, make two more spectacular films.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

27. the MovieGhost

Get the bricks out of your pants, dummy!

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag