'The Dark Tower' Trilogy to Be Directed by Ron Howard!

The Stephen King novels will be produced by Universal Pictures, with Akiva Goldsman set to write the first movie and a TV series based on the franchise.
Stephen King's The Dark Tower novels will be a film trilogy and TV series
Stephen King's The Dark Tower novels will be a film trilogy and TV series
Universal Pictures Chairman Adam Fogelson and Co-Chairman Donna Langley along with Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC Universal Television Entertainment and Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime Entertainment, NBC & Universal Media Studios today announced that Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have acquired the rights to produce three films and a television series based on the seven epic novels, short stories and comic books from Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

Ron Howard will direct the first film and the first season of television, which will be written by Akiva Goldsman. Goldsman will produce the film through his Weed Road Pictures with Howard and Brian Grazer for Imagine Entertainment. Howard, Grazer and Goldsman will executive produce the television series for Universal Media Studios. Kerry Foster will executive produce the first film for Weed Road Pictures along with Todd Hallowell and Erica Huggins for Imagine Entertainment.

"I've been waiting for the right team to bring the characters and stories in these books to film and TV viewers around the world," said Stephen King. "Ron, Akiva, Brian along with Universal and NBC have a deep interest and passion for the The Dark Tower series and I know that will translate into an intriguing series of films and TV shows that respect the origins and the characters in The Dark Tower that fans have come to love."

The Dark Tower is Stephen King's opus of seven bestselling novels with, to date, more than 30 million copies sold in 40 countries. The novels incorporate themes from multiple genres including fantasy, science fiction, horror and adventure. After the series was completed, a prequel of comic books based on one of the characters was also published.

"Building a franchise home for The Dark Tower is an exciting opportunity for this studio, and we're thrilled that Stephen has entrusted us to bring his beloved novels to the big screen," said Fogelson.

"Stephen King is a brilliant storyteller who creates imaginary worlds that resonate with the broadest audiences across ages and demographics," said Gaspin. "We are thrilled to partner with our colleagues in the film division and Brian, Ron andAkiva to bring Stephen's vision to the largest audience possible through this innovative multi-platform collaboration."

Howard, Grazer and Goldsman are planning for the first film in the trilogy to be immediately followed by a television series that will bridge the second film. After the second film, the television series will pick up allowing viewers to explore the adventures of the protagonist as a young man as a bridge to the third film and beyond.

"We are excited to have found partners at Universal who understand and embrace our approach to King's remarkable epic," said Howard. "By using both the scope and scale of theatrical filmmaking and the intimacy of television we hope to more comprehensively do justice to the characters, themes and amazing sequences King has given us in The Dark Tower novels. It might be the challenge of a lifetime but clearly a thrilling one to take on and explore."

"The worlds of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series are richly detailed, inter-locking and deeply connected," said Goldsman. "By telling this story across media platforms and over multiple hours-and with a view to telling it completely-we have our best chance of translating Roland's quest to reach The Dark Tower onto screen. We are proceeding with tremendous excitement, fidelity to the source material and, quite frankly, no small amount of awe at this opportunity."

"King has created the most visually enthralling places and characters in The Dark Tower," said Grazer. "The synergy created across all the media divisions of our partners at NBC Universal to tell this remarkable story is ground-breaking and invigorating. This project will be one of the most exciting and challenging that I will have ever worked on and I am thrilled to be a part of it."

The Dark Tower is in development . The film is directed by Ron Howard.

Sources: Universal Pictures

1. Troyrig

It's on NBC, so it's sure to be cancelled prematurely and cause outrage among fans. It's their M.O.

4 years agoby @troyrigFlag

2. Josh

Actually, Tom Hanks could be a decent Father Callaghan

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

3. Xenon

I just remembered, Hanks and Ron are friends. If Hanks shows up in the film, I'm walking

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

4. Ledouchee

Ron Howard sucks. I'm so disappointed.

4 years agoby @ledoucheeFlag

5. RojoDiablo

Having read all the books but not the comics, I REALLY look forward to Howard and company making this series come alive on both the big screen and the small! Should be interesting to see how it turns out but I think they picked the right guys for the job.

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

6. Xenon

Please don't ruin the books, I've only read the first one. I have the whole collection but I wish Terry Goodkinds books would be the same, films and TV. This series would be cool to see as well.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

7. Titanictom

This should be awsome;Although I'm still reading the last remaining 3 books of the series...Will the movies incorparaite the non Dark tower books as well-example{Insomnia} and {Eye of the Dragon}?

4 years agoby @titanictomFlag

8. phatalphd

THIS just made my life, lol
    im so stoked its not even funny. I hope it's good, but as long as it's not butchered I don't care. I just want some Roland and his Ka'tet on screen.

also...i'd hope the TV show goes on HBO or something. I don't think they could do it good on network TV.

4 years agoby @phatalphdFlag

I really, REALLY wanted Jackson, or Abrams or even Spielberg to do this. I just don't see Ron doing this, mostly because of his films lately... they've been dramatic, self conscious films. Not bad, but not necessarily what this series needs. But hey, he was chosen for a reason... right?

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

10. DoubleR0522

GREAT CHOICE OF DIRECTOR. RON HOWARD IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE DIRECTOR IN HOLLYWOOD

4 years agoby @doubler0522Flag

11. ZanyZap

@K-Man: A Beautiful Mind? Cinderella Man? Frost/Nixon (not the greatest, but a shot above decent)? Hell, even Angels & Demons provided quality direction.

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

12. Diaigma

You didn't like A Beautiful Mind, @K-Man? - That was an Oscar favorite, after all . . .

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

13. K-Man

You know, Ron Howard is a decent director, but he is also a director that hasn't really done anything for me in quite a long time. The last movie he did that I really liked was Apollo 13 and Ransom, which for those of you who cant remember....that was 1995 and 96! My all time favorite Ron Howard film, that I can say I freakin love, is Willow, which was 1988!

However, I firmly believe that Ron Howard can still pull off a truly good film when he really applies himself and considering this will be his first return to Fantasy since Willow, I've got to admit I'm a little excited to see what he can do with it!

Hope it turns out good.

4 years agoby @k-manFlag

14. Diaigma

Hey, I like the sound of this. You go, Ronny! :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

15. Xenon

RH should make Willow 2, 3

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

16. Xenon

He's better with family themed films, not hard R at all. The Devinci Code was horrible and the lead actor wasn't old enough
    Viggo would be perfect

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

17. Craig Bosko

I've been waiting for this to be made, but after seeing how RH muddled up both The Davinci Code and Angels & Demons, I am fearful. Plus, my favorite part of the all the books is the Origin Story from Wizard and Glass. I hope that isn't the TV origin story they refer to, because it would make an amazing big screen film. And finally - I nominate Viggo for Roland.

4 years agoby @craig-boskoFlag

18. ed_wood

Now this is great news. If they really do this like they plan it will do the story justice. Please don't screw this up.

4 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

@Josh In agreement with that.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

20. Josh

I'm on board with this idea, but I hope that the term "fidelity" to the source material isn't being used loosely. The idea of this as a network tv show doesn't sit well with me, because this is hard-R material. Part of what is so great about King's work is his grit. If they don't go with R-rated films and an HBO-style cable show, this is probably going to turn out like Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

It'd be sweet like 3-4 years from now, having the 2 seasons and 3 movies on Blu Ray sitting on my shelf, if its as awesome as it sounds.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

Unique idea. Hopefully, it will be beautifully executed.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

23. The Soylent Green Monkey

I really hope they do this right. :|

4 years agoby @soylentgreen2Flag

I dunno, he just seems like the gunslinger type to me.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

25. Daveactor7

why josh holloway? lol no offense but hes not right for it

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

I nominate Josh Holloway.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

27. Bane5000

Now the big question...Who should play the role of Roland Deschain, the gunslinger...?

4 years agoby @bane5000Flag

I love the idea their going for. A movie, a season of show, another movie, another season of show, and the 3rd movie. To cover all of it. Good idea. This way they don't have to cut corners, and do the series justice. Me like.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

29. ZanyZap

If King's on board, I'm on board. I simply skimmed the article, but are they implying a tv-show AND a movie?

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag