'The Dark Knight' Trilogy Ultimate Collectors Edition Box Set Revealed

This massive collection will include nine discs, a book, three villain prints, a poster and three Batman toy vehicles.
Director Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy, which includes 2005's Batman Begins, 2008's The Dark Knight and 2012's The Dark Knight Rises, is one of the most beloved superhero franchises to ever grace the big screen, and its hard core legion of fans claim it as one of the most prolific. The entire series is coming home in The Dark Knight Trilogy Ultimate Collector's Edition, which Warner Bros. will introduce fall of 2013, just in time for the holidays.

The first photos of this anxiously awaited set have surfaced, offering the first details of any kind about what we can expect to find on store shelves. Featured are three Batman toy vehicles and our first look at the cover and packaging.

imgC
imgC
imgC

According to The Batcave, the set will include nine discs (2 Blu-rays and 1 DVD per film) as well as a book, three prints (each featuring one of the trilogy's central villains), a poster and three toy models of the Batman vehicles featured in the series (the Tumbler, the Batpod and The Bat). This gorgeous set will be released on October 2nd (though that date has not yet been confirmed by the studio).

While its being speculated that Christopher Nolan will include more personal special features not found on the initial home release of the three films, its unlikely that fans will finally get to see any deleted scenes from any of the movies. Nolan is notorious for refusing to release alternative cuts of his films, and it won't happen here. It is possible that he, or other cast and crew members, have recorded audio commentaries for the three films. Final details won't be known until Warner Bros. releases the official press release.

Are you excited for this ultimate fan experience? Or will you stand by the versions you already own? Let us know what you think!

The Dark Knight was released July 18th, 2008 and stars Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Monique Gabriela Curnen. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

Sources: Bat Cave

1. T. King (Red Camera Man)

@ghostman: Eh, no thanks. I'll just stick with what I've got already.

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

2. TheDude1

@ghostman@felipe-11 I see now they are complaining about the black levels, coloring, contrast, and whatnot on the BB and TDK version out right now and they want remastered versions of those films in this set. However I just don't see WB spending their time and money on that.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

3. Ghostman

@thedude1 Begins on page 6. Everyone over at blu-ray.com keeps talking about wanting "new transfers" of BB and TDK.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

4. TheDude1

@ghostman Can you post a link to that please? And Why would they need to be remastered? Batman Begins is only 8 years old while TDK is only 5 years old.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

5. Replicant

@ghostman That seems highly unlikely. Remastering transfers is usually saved for older films, those two are brand new and both look damn fine. In any case maybe just Batman Begins, since it was an earlier Blu-ray release.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

6. Ghostman

@felipe-11@redcameraman@thedude1@SpaceCowboy@slysnide@bawnian-dexeus

There's speculation on forums that this set will include brand new remastered transfers of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Any thoughts on that, and do you want new transfers?

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

7. Ghostman

@jasonkat Or, if you can buy this set, you should already have a DVD player for those who don't have blu-rays yet.

And I doubt you can fit all THREE films onto one disc. Each movie is 150 minutes long, which adds up to nearly 8 hours. Most blu-rays can only hold up to 4 hours of information.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

8. JasonKat

@mr.K
    True, but if you can buy this set then you should already own a blurray disc player.

1 year agoby @jasonkatFlag

9. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Awesome, but I already own all 3 films, so there's no way I'm getting this.

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

10. Mr.K

@jasonkat "On a side note. I dont see why it should have a dvd at all. we'r in 2013. a single bluray can hold a sh*tload of data."

Probably because not everyone in the world can afford a Blu-Ray players.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

11. JasonKat

a total of 9 discs...
    I can see each film having a
    BLURAY... Batman Begains/Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises-(movie only),
    DVD... Batman Begains/Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises-(movie only) and special disc with extra footage we already seen.
    People can drool all they want over this, but its nothing but money grab. unless you just buy thee for collectors items then ok i guess. but its gonna be around 79.99 maybe 124.99

On a side note. I dont see why it should have a dvd at all. we'r in 2013. a single bluray can hold a sh*tload of data, such as the movie, and all that extras, it can even fit both 2 films on 1 (BRD), (maybe even all3) but they wont do that, they wana make it look big so they just put them out all in a single disc each. add a new cover art and a few hot wheel-toys,

1 year agoby @jasonkatFlag

12. Luke Corrigan

I bought the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight bluray steelbook set and then The Dark Knight Rises cowl edition not a chance im buying this i would only want the miniatures and then they have bronze in them which wasn't in the films

1 year agoby @lukejc94Flag

13. JonSpidey07

the ultimate X-Ma gift
    but I don't need to spend my dough on it since I have 3 movies already and the supplementals

1 year agoby @jonspidey07Flag

14. TheDude1

@ghostman The thing is nothing is confirmed yet. We don't even know if these pictures are legit. And if the October release is true(which makes no sense December seems much better) we probably won't get a full list of extras and box art until late August.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

15. SpaceCowboy

I'd prefer it as a 6-disc set without the DVDs, toys, and book. Don't want to pay $100+ for a set I'm only half interested in. I'd stick with the last trilogy boxset that was released, but darnit, I want that bonus disc! :P

1 year agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

16. EmmyttWolfe

Even though I hated The Dark Knight Rises I will get this set.

1 year agoby @EmmyttWolfeFlag

17. Ghostman

@thedude1 I just wish there was more detail put into this. Something akin to the Harry Potter ultimate box set. I theorized this would be packaged inside the Tumbler and feature replica blue prints and Batarangs.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

18. SoksoV

@ghostman : Because he likes to watch the world BUUUUURRRRNNNN!!!!

1 year agoby @SoksoVFlag

19. TheDude1

@ghostman Yeah TDKR has two Blu Rays. I'd like to see them skip over the features they have already released in the prior releases and give us new extras. And they could easily fill the time. Heck TDKR there is suppose to be tons of extras of Bane they cut from the film. Not to mention all the behind the scenes of Ledger in TDK.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

20. Ghostman

I just want to know why the Joker has flames coming out of his eyes. Looks weird.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

21. TheDude1

@felipe-11 Toys usually don't add much to the cost anyway. I buy all the Superman and Batman animated movies and they are often released with toys. And at most they are three dollars extra than the one without the toy.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

22. Replicant

@thedude1 Yes, but the toys will inevitably drive the price up for those of us who just want the extra features.

I don't really care about the toys, but then again I didn't care about the one released with the new Blade Runner set either (also by WB) and I admit I ended liking the car quite a lot.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

23. Ghostman

@thedude1 If I remember correctly, my blu-rays of The Dark Knight and TDKR have a separate disc for special features. The Batman Begins blu-ray only has one disc, and those features aren't even in high definition unlike the other two films (which sucks). So the question is, perhaps this set will feature a bonus disc with new features. When I say new features, I mean I want meaty 2 hour long footage of behind the scenes and unseen deleted footage from all three films.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

24. TheDude1

@ghostman I agree with that. However we don't have many details at all so far. Just pictures of the set and how many discs it is. And each film will have room for a Blu Ray and a half of special features. Which is more than enough to to fit tons of extras.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

25. Ghostman

@thedude1 That's the thing. We haven't had any details on if there's any "new" juicy bonus features. If there are none (which I hope if false) then this is a pass for me.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

26. TheDude1

Everyone complaining about the small model toys are freaking out about nothing. As long as we get deleted scenes and commentaries the set is well worth it.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

27. slysnide

Unimpressed. And why is the Batpod model gold? And the tumbler partly bronze? haha

1 year agoby @slysnideFlag

28. Ghostman

I'm not impressed with their effort. I expected something a little "more" rather than having the same discs released in a box that contains cheap die cast metal toys.

@jasonkat Some people wait for the inevitable double-dip release. And who says "90% of people already owns each movie"? Also, people will most likely buy this as a gift for family and friends and/or those who haven't own the films would buy this. A lot of peopl would buy this. Why do you think they keep re-releasing different editions of Star Wars, Watchmen, Avatar, Lord of the Rings? Because there are those fans who "have to own" every set released.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag