'The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition' Blu-ray Debuts September 24th

This six-disc set will feature all three of director Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, along with hours of new special features.
Warner Bros. announces a September 24 release date for The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition
After our report from last week that featured early details on The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition, Warner Bros. officially announced today that the set will debut September 24. We'll bring you the domestic artwork as soon as it is released.

Christopher Nolan's reimagining of the Batman franchise beginning with 2005's Batman Begins enjoyed phenomenal critical and box-office success. Now on September 24, Nolan's three Batman films - Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises - will be released by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment as The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector's Edition. The six-disc set will feature all three films with their existing extra content, two new featurettes and exclusive new collectible memorabilia. This must-own collection for fans of DC Comics' Caped Crusader is available in premium packaging and will sell for $99.97 SRP.

About the Ultimate Collector's Edition (UCE):

New Special Features:

Exclusive New Memorabilia:

• Premium Mattel Hot Wheels Vehicles: Batmobile, Batpod and Tumbler
  • Newly commissioned collectible art cards by Mondo featuring Scarecrow, Joker, Bane, Harvey Dent, and Ra's al Ghul
  • 48-page hardcover book featuring production stills and behind the scenes images from all three movies

About The Films

Batman Begins (2005)

Batman Begins explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham. In the wake of his parents' murder, disillusioned industrial heir Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. He returns to Gotham and unveils his alter-ego: Batman, a masked crusader who uses his strength, intellect and an array of high tech deceptions to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.

The Dark Knight (2008)

The follow-up to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in his continuing war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves effective, but soon find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker (Heath Ledger), who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces Batman closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante. Maggie Gyllenhaal joins the cast as Rachel Dawes. Returning from Batman Begins are Oldman, Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox.

Dark Knight Rises (2012)

It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act.

But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. But even if he dons the cape and cowl again, Batman may be no match for Bane. Christian Bale stars, along with Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Morgan Freeman.

Batman Begins was released June 15th, 2005 and stars Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, Rutger Hauer. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

The Dark Knight was released July 18th, 2008 and stars Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Monique Gabriela Curnen. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

The Dark Knight Rises was released July 20th, 2012 and stars Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

Sources: Warner Home Video

1. SpaceCowboy

Does this mean that TDK and TDKR will be presented in their theatrical 2:40:1 versions? I'd prefer if the Blu-rays had a consistent widescreen aspect ratio as opposed to the flip ratios we've had in the past. That kind of back-and-forth doesn't really work that well on a TV (since the IMAX scenes are still cropped).

1 year agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

2. Youngrizo

@ghostman Yeah but I don't think I've ever seen a single Director's cut from Nolan yet. He shoots what he intends. And I do recall the whole thing about the movie having to be cut down to the current running time, but I still feel that there are too many gaping holes in the story, not just editing ones, they are character elements, things characters say and do that make zero sense...

That's why I think the film even if made longer is still not salvageable

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

3. Ghostman

@youngrizo True. Have you heard of the "Screener Cut"? It's basically EVERYTHING that was filmed on camera. Also known as Rough cut, Assembly cut, or commonly referred to as the "Director's Cut."

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

4. gumperman

Cool, I've been waiting to get this ever since it was announced! I'm glad they have a release date. I hope THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY ~ EXTENDED EDITION release date is announced soon too! :)

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

5. Youngrizo

@narrator I hear ya... I don't know... it's just tough for me to overlook the things that my mind can't help but pick out. I really do wish I could enjoy it more cause I remember actually enjoying my first viewing but after the second viewing, all I saw was just how much I disliked how preachy it came across with it's themes, don't get me wrong, the acting is amazing, the casting is great but I just can't get behind it.

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

@youngrizo Interesting view and I thank you for replying. I agree with your sentiments regarding The Dark Knight Rises. That thing was an overly ambitious and frankly speaking forced installment if ever there was one. However, I have to disagree on several points when it comes to your stance against The Dark Knight.

First off, I feel as though Batman did evolve as a hero. Morally speaking, he was a freshman vigilante in Begins. He was the new kid on the block and we enjoyed seeing the criminal underground quake in fear at the thought of him. But when we get down to it, his role in Begins lacked any real contemplation on his part. He was an action-action guy, and both mentally and psychologically he has improved and adapted to his new lifestyle by the time TDK hits.

Next, Killing Ra's Al Ghul didn't take much incentive other than the usual "I'll kill lots of people" thing that most villains pull on the protagonist. The Joker on the other hand did not fear death, and it shows how human and flawed Batman is because he couldn't bring himself to kill the monster that probably deserved to die more than any character in the mythology. The purpose for this being what I believe is a mixture of maturing on Bruce's part, with the whole "killing doesn't always solve things" ideology, as well as simply not wanting to give the mad man the satisfaction of killing him, thus breaking his 'one rule'. Remember that in Begins - and it's even quoted - that Batman didn't kill Ra's. He just didn't save him from himself. One could argue that doing nothing when it's in the power of your hand to do something is the same as committing/endorsing the crime yourself, but by that logic everyone with a decent bank account and a cell phone or billing address who doesn't give to various charity projects are co-responsible for hundreds and thousands starving in Africa. Saving a life and donating 15 cents are equally immediate in my opinion. So that's where I stand on that issue - Batman never killed in the films, and his own moral code (a necessary character flaw that keeps him from being a Gary Sue) keeps him from killing the Joker. Like you said, it's their tragic Greek mythological destiny to go at it forever; Laelaps and the Teumessian fox, which I felt Nolan incorporated spectacularly.

I also disagree about the shock value. Sure, upon your initial viewing TDK is mind-blowing in just how far it dares itself to go... am I missing something? Are films not challenged to both tell a narrative and surprise the viewer, engaging them emotionally and psychologically? From Kubrick to Hitchc*ck, all great auteurs have capitalized on shock factor for at least one film or another. Moving past that, upon repeat viewings The Dark Knight holds up. Why? Because it's plausible at all moments? No, of course not. It holds up because it's engrossing, compelling, and boasts a message that speaks to the viewer time and again. No shock value can overcome competent dialogue and fantastic performances. By challenging its audience to both keep pace with its hectic speed (they cover a lot in 145 minutes) as well as its moral ambiguity, The Dark Knight can easily satisfy most viewers after the shock value has long worn off.

Also, the whole "we never found his body" bit has been done until the cows come home. The Dark Knight, tributes aside (like it's opening) was one of the few films that didn't remind me of another films within its genres. It was distinct and unique in all its choices, whether they made sense in hindsight or not.

Your beef that Nolan set up a realistic world that was no longer credible due to plot holes is pretty flimsy as well. By that standard, if Robert Rodriguez set out to make a completely unbelievable over the top film with Machete, it should be excused for its absolute atrociousness because it stuck to its theme adequately. Nolan may have made Gotham as realistic as possible, but at the end of the day it's still a film about a guy dressed as a giant bat who so happens to be a billionaire able to self-finance his war on the criminal underground. That's not exactly plausible grounds. I found just as many flaws in The Godfather, equally a character piece as it is a crime epic, as I did in The Dark Knight. In contemplation I came to the realization that these weren't flaws per-se. After all, all works of literature are flawed because the person who writes them is imperfect. Fact. Rather, these films had flaws that were of their characters making irrational decisions with normally implausible scenarios. Basically, they were human and that frustrates us at times. That's all I can say on that matter.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

7. TheDude1

@felipe-11 Fair enough about the Joker. But what about scenes from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises. Isn't there suppose to be a lot of deleted footage of Bane?

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

8. Youngrizo

@ghostman

I think that's the kind of info you should always take with a grain of salt. No project leader can ever tell from the start exactly how long the final product will be. You have estimates and you work with an end goal in mind.

And to that end... No director shoots over 4 hours of different enough scenes when he knows his goal is to have a movie under 3 hours. The idea that omitting 30 to 45 minutes of footage explains the massive plot holes is a misguided one. When you delete footage, when you edit a film down, you remove the unnecessary stuff, you remove the stuff that doesn't work and the stuff you don't like. You don't end up with a bad movie because you shot too much, you end up with a bad movie cause of bad writing and sometimes bad editing. It's almost always down to the writing. And that's where a lot of the issues in that story are in the first place.

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

9. Youngrizo

@narrator

I think we've discussed this before in detail but I find the writing in the follow ups to be too much Nolan and not enough DC in my opinion. Like I like how he sticks with some of the more important core traits for Joker and Batman... but I feel as a whole, a lot of the writing is a disservice to the remainder of the characters and to Gotham itself which is the one of the most central characters. Every hero and villain that exists in Gotham exists because Gotham in it's nature necessitates their existence.

On one hand, once Gotham is cleaned up... the very idea of the work that's gone into that is then made almost unnecessary. Like it didn't happen, cause apparently most of the police force and most people are still crooked enough to easily turn, even with the fear of Batman. This bit of writing in my opinion only exists to serve the purpose of Joker being able to do so much and get away with it. Add to that, almost everything that happens story wise is too set up, for the Joker and batman in such a way that I'm left seeing the holes... I mean Nolan added too much realism and then let plot holes make that realism seem pointless. He set a precedent in that universe that he didn't really follow through on. The idea of people being inherently good at the end of TDK is directly contrary to what the rest of that picture presents. At the same time at least for TDk I feel all it's greatest moments hinge too much on shock value... so once I saw it, it became hard to find it engrossing in any way. And it spends almost every minute of exposition spoonfeeding you every single one of its themes, The Dark Knight Rises does this too. I still find TDK serviceable but it's hard for me to go back and watch it. The main problem I had with this story though was that Bruce's story arc backpeddles... he goes from being a vigilante who learns to be a hero that knows the value of letting a villain die for the greater good in Batman begins... to him becoming a guy who saves the life of the very villain that's killed countless people, despite that it does not serve the greater good, now I understand the reasoning for this is the comic books having had him with the no kill code, but I always felt that in that scene, they could have just as easily had the fight end on a side of the building facing the water and have the Joker fall into the water but then end with a scene stating his body was never found.

As for TDKR, every single plot hole in that movie that completely renders that 'realistic' universe null and void... if you are to accept it, it ruined the movie for me, again this goes back to the Precedent Nolan set. So when he introduces Bane the brilliant smart military-type villain, and has him doing really dumb stuff, not to mention Gordon's orders about the police force, coupled with Bane and Talia basically engaging in a 3 month 'monologue...' and that final fight, with all the other little bothersome details, I just could not turn my mind off enough to enjoy it.

The scene where Bane is talking to Bruce and telling him about hope, all I could think of was The Incredibles and that where Lucius says "He starts monologuing! He starts like, this prepared speech about how *feeble* I am compared to him, how *inevitable* my defeat is, how *the world* *will soon* *be his*, yadda yadda yadda."

This is the short version... I still love batman begins though.

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

10. Xenon

then they should have kept the 4 hour version instead of cutting it down.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

@youngrizo The only good one in there is Begins? I have to admit, that's definitely the first time I recall The Dark Knight taking a backseat to its predecessor. Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're not fond of the latter two films?

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

12. Replicant

@thedude1@comicbookfan@raoulduke33@ghostman@warriorathlete21

IF there is more footage with the Joker, I doubt it'd be very impressive.

Just think about it; action-wise there definitely isn't anything else because Nolan shoots exactly WHAT he wants and exactly HOW he wants it. Point in case, the hospital explosion was shot in ONE TAKE. Everything was perfectly planned and Heath acted that scene knowing he could not screw it up because there wouldn't be a second parking lot scheduled for demolition that they could blow up. Same for every other action scene.

Story-wise, it doesn't get any better than the interrogation scene and the final "upside down" dialogue. That is absolute perfection between the two and it simply cannot be any better. Any outtakes will only look lesser in comparison.

The only thing I can imagine being more footage of is of those POV videos where the Joker records himself. But I suspect people would hardly even be interested in those if Heath was still alive; the only reason people want more footage so badly is because we know we'll never see another performance from him and I think Nolan is wise in respecting Heath's work with what is already perfect in the final cut of the film.

I know I certainly wasn't expecting any more footage from this release, just more interviews and featurettes which disc 6 seems to cover nicely. I would've enjoyed commentary tracks by Nolan, but by now I've learned he simply never does them.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

13. Warriorathlete21

@ghostman I'll have to dig for that interview and post it later.
    However, you do realize that the 4 hour rough cut was confirmed by several websites to be a rumor right??
    I don't have enough posts yet to be able to post a URL link but, even the author of the article confirmed that it was just a rumor that MTV ran with.

1 year agoby @warriorathlete21Flag

14. TheDude1

@bane5000 Nolan has always stayed away from releasing deleted scenes from his movies. That could be because the studio lets him do want he wants. However I'm wondering if Nolan himself holds the rights to the footage with the Joker and thus won't release it.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

15. Ghostman

@warriorathlete21 Also, we already had this conversation a year ago. You seemed to have forgotten this thread you commented in:

movieweb/movie/the-dark-knight-rises/FTssMGXBpXE2wy

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

16. Ghostman

@warriorathlete21 " Nolan was able to tell warnerbros almost the exact running times for each film in the series before they shot them."

I would like to see that statement for I highly doubt anyone would be able to predict the precise running time for a film before shooting it.

The rough cut was nearly 4 hours long, and Nolan had to omit over 30 minutes of footage to get the preferred 150minute run time length. Believe me, there was a lot cut from the movie which would explain the massive plot holes and story details missing from the film.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

17. Warriorathlete21

@ghostman uh I'd like to see the source for that statement.

Nolan is so precise in shooting his films that big chunks of unnecessary footage get cut during scripting sessions for the film. Nolan was able to tell warnerbros almost the exact running times for each film in the series before they shot them, give or take a few minutes.

1 year agoby @warriorathlete21Flag

18. Ghostman

@raoulduke33@felipe-11@bane5000@comicbookfan There was copious amounts of cut footage from TDKR. Nolan said he removed over 45 minutes of scenes from the film. So, there has to be deleted scenes. Also, I can see Nolan not releasing any behind the scenes/extra movie footage of Heath Ledger out of respect.

Although, I'm curious to see that conversation between Christopher Nolan & Richard Donner.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

19. The_Crow2k

Still looks nice though....here's a picture:

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

20. The_Crow2k

I'm kind of disappointed...I was expecting something a bit more 'fancy' than that.

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

21. Replicant

@bane5000@ghostman@comicbookfan
    Based on Nolan's previously released Blu-rays and DVD, I think he's not the kind of director who likes showing deleted/alternate/extended scenes so I wasn't expecting anything new in that department.
    And as @raoulduke33 put it, he might not even have that many.

Still, disc 6 seems interesting, and I never got around to buying Batman Begins and TDKR so I might just get this.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

22. CBF

@raoulduke33 You speak the truth.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

23. Raoul Duke

@bane5000@comicbookfan I think the question to be asking is really how much extra footage Nolan might have. He doesn't seem to me like the type of director that ends up with a ton of waste. If there are any deleted scenes out there, man, I would love to see them, but are there any?

1 year agoby @raoulduke33Flag

24. Ghostman

What a letdown. So much potential, only to result in a wasted cash grab opportunity.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

25. Bane5000

I already bought the Blu Ray trilogy box set when TDKR came out, im good with what i got

@comicbookfan ...Fully agree, if there nothing extra on Heath or the The joker, there no point in re buying this. I wonder if Nolan will ever release extra/deleted scenes from TDK film and of The Joker...

1 year agoby @bane5000Flag

26. CBF

No extra Heath Ledger footage = no buy.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

27. Youngrizo

No thanks... the only good one in there is Batman begins anyway. Well, I guess TDK is alright but you can keep TDKR.

1 year agoby @youngrizoFlag

28. TheDude1

Wow I can't believe us fans got shafted! Pure BS.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag