'The Dark Knight Rises' Paris Premiere Cancelled After Shooting

New York City theaters will also have increased police presence to prevent any copycat attacks in the wake of the Colorado tragedy last night.
The Dark Knight Rises cancels Paris premiere
The Dark Knight Rises cancels Paris premiere
Warner Bros. has canceled tonight's Paris premiere of The Dark Knight Rises, in the wake of the tragic shooting at a Colorado theater early this morning, that left 12 dead and 38 wounded. The studio has suspended junket interviews with the cast and crew scheduled for today in the French capitol.

In related news New York City theaters will see an increase in police protection, to prevent any possible copycat shootings in the aftermath of last night's massacre. Here is a statement released by New York City police commissioner Ray Kelly regarding the added security.

"As a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado, the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the The Dark Knight Rises is playing in the five boroughs."

Christopher Nolan's Batman finale will open in at least 35 theaters today in New York City. Los Angeles authorities have not announced if local theaters will have an increased police presence.

The Dark Knight Rises was released July 20th, 2012 and stars Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

1. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02 --Like I said before, one man can f*ck everything up for everyone.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

2. Sean

@redcameraman That's probably what's going to happen from now on.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

3. ROFLitschristian

This psychopath has ruined such a good time for so many people. Makes me utterly sick to my stomach.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

4. T. King (Red Camera Man)

I hope there will be tight security in many theaters from now on!

2 years agoby @redcameramanFlag

5. Superman81

@Jacob-Fredrick really?? I'm pretty sure if someone else was trying ti shoot people at a theater it would be all over the news.

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

6. THE JOKER

@Robert-McDougal Yeah, I don't want him to over shadow this movie, but if those that died do, that, to me, would be ok. But people should still be able to see the film...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

7. Robert McDougal

@mcleve02 Ok, I suppose I can see how my original comment could have garnered that view. Sorry for not clarifying or if it came off the wrong way because I am on the same page about how sad this is. Iv'e already stated my case about how people are letting it overshadow the movie and giving exactly what this monster wants, but hopefully more people will be like @addictionnonfatel and be able to move on after having a moment of peace for the poor souls lost in that way. I flipping loved this movie so much and nothing will get in the way of that, it's more than just a movie to me, but the way this is headed, now whenever someone thinks of The Dark Knight Rises, they're going to think of this. This movie will be remembered as "that movie that someone shot people over". That's disgusting that this movie won't be able to have it's own legacy.

2 years agoby @Robert-McDougalFlag

8. alexpj19

3 things comes to mind.
    1. its a horrible tragedy that could have happened anywhere, school, mall, theater, church......
    2. im still gonna go see the movie
    3. im bringing my gun just in case some moron will try to do similar sh*t, and im putting a bullet in his head if he tries to harm anyone in the theater .....
    P.S. do not take seriously the last statement. and yes in this situation if i had a gun i would put a bullet in his head with out hesitation.

2 years agoby @alexpj19Flag

9. THE JOKER

@addictionnonfatel We still plan on going! That wasn't the issue..

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

10. bipolarmassive

I make no apologies for not allowing sonsofbitches to detour me from seeing this film! I am referring to this *sshole who decided to get his 15 minutes for 'just because'reasons. If we allow last nights tragedy to prevent us from going out and living our everyday lives, then he and everyone like him have met their goal; interference in regards to our personal lives. I'm moving forward and going on as planned and will be seeing TDKR in a few hrs regardless of what has taken place. And for the duration of the film (2:45 minutes), the tragic events will be nonexistent from mind, and absent guilt. So if you've planned on seeing the movie, I urge you all to do so.....may the fallen and their family's find peace.

2 years agoby @addictionnonfatelFlag

11. moviegeek

@Robert-McDougal You've really got to be kidding me.. I'm not going to waste time arguing though.

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

12. THE JOKER

@Robert-McDougal But you didn't say about these being your motives... All you presented in your one message was simply you didn't want anything to go down because you wanted it to be the highest grossing film ever... With that message, us reading it seems extremely douchy

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

13. Robert McDougal

@moviegeek@brady1138@mcleve02 Geez people, stop not focusing on the movie. You're doing exactly what this guy intended. You're feeding his insecure need for attention. He shouldn't have done it. I completely understand that it was messed up. My condolences to the people and family. But I'm not insensitive, there's nothing wrong with what I said. I'm pointing out the obvious feelings and motive behind this man's cowardly crime. It's because of the movie. He wanted to associate himself with what is going to be the greatest movie of all time and probably the highest grossing. It's going to be groundbreaking. I would never do such a thing but I see how someone can look at a movie this big and be like "No, I can do better. I'll do something that everyone will focus on, I'll cast a shadow over this movie! Like Heath Ledger's tragedy before the last one." I have a similar feeling. But what am I gonna do? I'm gonna overshadow this movie, but keep within the law. I'm gonna be a filmmaker. I want to make movies like The Dark Knight Rises. The movie inspires people. It's the kind of movie you see and say to yourself. "Wow, that can never be topped." It's movies like these that inspire people to become a filmmaker and make quality pictures. It's the hype that inspires people too. But it's supposed to inspire good! Good cinema, talented filmmakers! Not reckless and lazy terrorists like the guy responsible for this. That's very unfortunate what occurred at the movie shooting for The Dark Knight Rises. Tragic indeed. It shouldn't have happened. But it's things like Warner Bros. thinking about pulling the movie that tick me off. Stuff like that is letting the horrible man responsible for this win. He's getting what he wants, controlling the movie world. PLEASE PLEASE don't pull this movie from theaters for any amount of time. Iv'e been waiting 4 years to see it at least 10 times, Iv'e only seen it once! There's no reason to punish the entire world over this!!!!

2 years agoby @Robert-McDougalFlag

14. THE JOKER

@moviegeek Isn't it though... I'm a Batman fan too, but I have to agree, why don't people have a soul

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

15. moviegeek

You've got to be kidding me.. some of you guys are still concerned about the movie and people not getting to see it? No one cares about the movie when it comes to a tragedy like this.

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

16. LuxoIII

@Robert-McDougal That's the most insensitive way of viewing the situation imaginable. What kind of sad life do you live?

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

17. kingbrady

sooooo u cancel a premiere in Paris, France cause a city known to gun violence in schools and such has a shooting? Paranoia at its best

2 years agoby @kingbradyFlag

18. THE JOKER

@Robert-McDougal It's not about that man... I don't care about that aspect of it being cancelled.. Just that it is a shame innocent people have to be punished and kept from seeing this because of this...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

19. Robert McDougal

This f*#ker better not cause this movie to not become the highest grossing movie ever. I understand doing this to give more attention to this masterpiece so everyone sees but now people are scared to go. He could have at least waited until it became the highest grossing movie of all time.

2 years agoby @Robert-McDougalFlag

20. THE JOKER

well then move the hell away...You have one f*cked up person and they had one... doesn't mean it needs to get closed...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

21. Jacob Fredrick

well at my theatre, some guy with a handgun was attempting to shoot people but they caught him. but im mpretty sure that not every theatre is going to get shot at

2 years agoby @Jacob-FredrickFlag

I hate people..

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

23. Justice Kowaleski

This shouldnt Be happening just because one Stupid Person Shoots up a movie theater doesn't mean that the whole world and the future of this film should suffer.

2 years agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

24. K.Guy

I hope all theaters become more strict in cameras and weaponry

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

25. THE JOKER

Ok, now that is truly a shame... Don't punish people for the actions of idiot...

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag