'The Dark Knight Rises' Has Watertight Ending Says Tom Hardy

The actor behind Bane discusses his new role as Batman's meanest foe in Christopher Nolan's trilogy ending sequel.
Tom Hardy talks Bane
Tom Hardy talks Bane
Photos and video of Tom Hardy playing Bane in The Dark Knight Rises have flooded the Internet, and now we have a pretty decent idea what this masked ghoul is up to. The actor recently took a moment out of his busy schedule to chat about his participation in the movie, and he seems to be having a lot of fun.

Tom Hardy reflected on the decision to play Bane by saying this.

"Hang on a minute. You're asking me to come round the world with you in a Batman movie, playing a villain, and the only downside to it is I have to wear a mask? Hmmm, let me think. I'll get back to you... No, I'm fucking there, man! Anything you need. I think Bane's fucking cool so I'm really excited to play him. Any time you put something over your face, you're going to adopt a personality and a physicality that has nothing to do with acting. It allows a performance to be free."

When asked if Bane will break Bruce Wayne's spine, as he does in the comics, Tom Hardy remained coy about revealing any plot details.

"Mmmmm...Good lead-in, but all I can say is that Christopher Nolan has a plan up his sleeve that's not at all disappointing. And that is a definite choice that's watertight in every respect."

About the character of Bane himself, Tom Hardy promised this.

The Dark Knight Rises was released July 20th, 2012 and stars Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

Sources: Total Film

1. RyanMoran

good i hope this batman is the best and beats the rest please dont ruin this movie like spiderman 3

3 years agoby @RyanMoranMitaFlag

2. Rated-X

@jakn no no though the format and odd coloured styling would make that come off as Tim Burton but sadly no...it was Joel Schmamamamamamaam

3 years agoby @rated-xFlag

3. Rated-X

I bow down to you Mr. Hardy

3 years agoby @rated-xFlag

4. Corey W.

@jakn No, he did not.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

5. RojoDiablo

@superman81 I enjoyed Routh and Superman Returns as well, so you're not the only one on here! I thought Singer's version was quite fun and entertaining and as long as "Man of Steel" follows suit, I will enjoy it to, even if right now I question Cavill for the role.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

6. RojoDiablo

Schumacher was not the main problem with those two films. The main problem was not staying with Keaton throughout the series and not following the formula used by Burton in the first two films (which was Schumacher's job). They should have paid Keaton whatever it took to keep him in the role. They certainly got too campy under Joel but not complete trash either. When you start having a different Batman with each movie, things usually don't go as smoothly imo. I see where some could hate the last film but to me there have been far worst films made than Batman & Robin.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

7. Jakn

@jakn I thought Tim Burton directed 'Batman Forever'. Did he?

3 years agoby @jaknFlag

8. Jakn

@rjh094 I haven't seen 'Batman & Robin', basically cuz I heard it really really sucked. But now that you mentioned it, it all makes sense now.

3 years agoby @jaknFlag

9. Pjwolsker

@ridgl i dont know.. nolan hasnt made a bad movie yet
    @addictionnonfatel even if you didnt like it you cant honestly tell me he did do a good job playing him... christian bale made a movie called hard times.. the movie was considered a bomb but his performance was praised

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

10. red_ruddy

@daryl tan I'd like to see Afronsky's version/interpretation of the Joker

3 years agoby @red-ruddyFlag

11. drefyj21

Be Patient Bane Does get Big towards the end of the movie when he meets Mad scientist thats the guy at the end of the teaser trailer wacthing Bane fight Batman and its gone be a Ending to y this is nolans last batman people are gone be shocked

3 years agoby @drefyj21Flag

12. Tha Phoenix

@Average Joe

That comment may just be my favourite of the last thirty days. :D

3 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

13. Tha Phoenix

@ejk1 Very true. xD

*raises Martini in your general direction*

3 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

14. Nautical

I want Bane to look bigger

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

15. mb11

I truely believe this film will break box office records... Will it beat Avatar hard to say, but i certainly wouldnt bet against it. This film will take more money than the Avengers i reckon...

3 years agoby @mbrandon11Flag

@superman81 "So just know where ever u and your Superman hating garbage flows, ill be right there to pick it up!!!"

Spoken like a true Boy Scout, lol :P

The reason this whole thing started was because I said this will bomb because Goyer dropped out of rewrites to do Godzilla and was replaced by the 300 writer Kurt Johnstad. I also said that anyone was free to write my comments down and call me on it afterwards. Instead of disagreeing with me in a straightforward manner, you attacked Ottley using my words. Then when I called you on that, you got all bitchy. I don't hate Superman, and I'm rooting for this film to succeed (as I've said many times), but I don't have good feelings about it. I'll say whatever my feelings are on the subject, whether they are good or bad. As far as you being my garbage man, go right ahead, dude, be my guest.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

My opinion almost never matters, but I'll say it anyways, if it weren't for a director being overrated or an actor/actress being overrated, we wouldn't get quality films. it sucks to be underrated when your wither a director or a performer. it's only when you hit it big that you go from the bottom to the skies and you are a high rated individual in the entertainment business, but then someone comes along and goes "he's too overrated or that is too overrated and blah blah blah...."

18. rjh094

@jakn Joel Schumacher made Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Bane was in Batman & Robin and was a horrible character like the movie itself. I think Hardy is just being sarcastic when he says, ""It's not the guy in Joel Schumacher's film..." because that would be a good/great improvement.

3 years agoby @rjh094Flag

19. Jakn

Last part about the whole Joel Schumacher I didn't understand. Probably a movie of his I have to see to understand.

3 years agoby @jaknFlag

20. ZanyZap

"It's not the guy in Joel Schumacher's film, but it shouldn't disappoint fanboys..." I have an airplane for all the people I hate in hollywood. And Joel Schumacher is seated in first class.

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

21. Superman81

@ejk1 I'm all for you having your opinion. And no one is trying to run you off. Any time someone doesn't like someone else opinion its always the same. If you don't like it you can leave. Geez!! I just think you have made your point. And just because I am a Superman fan doesn't mean I agree with everything or like everything. I wasn't too big on Brandon Routh or Singer version of the S. But I waited it out to see how it was going to be. And you know what despite SR poor box office I liked Routh and the S isn't so bad now. I feel like its ok for you to bash it and bash it way too soon in my opinion, but its not ok for me to defend it. It goes both way man. If you don't like criticism then don't post. So just know where ever u and your Superman hating garbage flows, ill be right there to pick it up!!!

3 years agoby @superman81Flag

@superman81 Here you go getting mad. And here I am laughing again :P

Okay, enough kidding aside, dude, here it is in a nutshell. My concern for this film has nothing, I repeat, absolutely nothing to do with the pictures. Of course you know what my problem is: the script problems. Now, you can sit there and say there aren't any, and that's fine, you can view it your way. But I see problems there. Since I see problems, I am going to talk about them, whether or not you or any other person without objectivity on a particular subject have to say. And before you get upset, you aren't objective on this subject. Supes is clearly your favorite, and you won't hear any criticism on the matter. As far as Batman goes, I have reservations, and have mentioned them before. He's my favorite comic book hero. Another favorite Daredevil has a reboot coming out, and guess what? I have reservations about them using the Born Again arc, because I think it is way too early to be bringing that one up. And the DD reboot is way behind Man of Steel in terms of production. Point is, I can sit here and say what I want, especially if I feel I have a valid reason for it. If that offends you, go somewhere else, my friend, because I have no plans to change anything I do on MW.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

23. bipolarmassive

@mickeymiami Yes I'm aware of that, just my way of saying I can refer to Tom Hardy as being overrated size wise, not acting wise, and still be allowed to by my tickets to see TDKR.

3 years agoby @addictionnonfatelFlag

24. Superman81

@ejk1 hmmm I don't remember anyone pulling your string!! Or even mentioning your name. I get upset like a lot of other people when I read the same exact thing over and over again. I'm just confused how someone could judge something that's hardly even started. A few pics here and there and already its primed to be a bust. It's just like with the Batman news, so many people claim they know what's gonna happen and have inside knowledge. Too many wanna bes on this website. Sorry but 99% percent of the people on here who judge and claim they got first hand knowledge are full of crap. And the people screaming Bust are the first ones in line opening night.

3 years agoby @superman81Flag

25. Scott Stevenson

I can remember the totally negative comments about Heath Ledger as Nolan's only choice for the Joker. He pulled it off immaculately and what a surprise..I saw zero negative comments about him afterwards. Both films so far have exceeded expectation. The cast have all said the script is amazing for the TDKR. I don't think Nolan was going to make a third if the story and script weren't perfect.

3 years agoby @Scott-StevensonFlag

@superman81 You also get upset easily by it. Which in turn makes me laugh.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

27. Mickeymiami

I think he is gonna surprise us and be BAD ASS!! I do have a question for @addictionnonfatel.....You've got your tickets to what already? Can't be this movie...there's no way.

3 years agoby @mickeymiamiFlag

28. Superman81

@mindless232 man you are so right!!! People have been judging superman left and right. No trailer and only maybe 6 pics so far and some people are all ready screaming BUST!!! I laugh at that stuff.

3 years agoby @superman81Flag

29. mindless232

hahaha internet fights. so funny. i wonder if people that get all worked up on these comments type their words aggressively. Especially with the exclamation points. hahaha Grinding their teeth and sh*t. Waiting for the next reply. also i agree with ROFLitschristian.

3 years agoby @mindless232Flag