'The Blair Witch Project 3' Moves Forward Says Eduardo Sanchez

Director of the original thriller is teaming up with Daniel Myrick for a new sequel that will completely ignore 'Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2'.
Director Eduardo Sanchez is moving forward with The Blair Witch Project 3
Director Eduardo Sanchez is moving forward with The Blair Witch Project 3
It has been 12 years since directors Eduardo Sánchez and Daniel Myrick made indie horror history with The Blair Witch Project in 1999. Eduardo Sánchez is doing press for his new movie, Lovely Molly, and the director recently revealed he and Daniel Myrick still plan on making The Blair Witch Project 3. Here's what Eduardo Sánchez had to say below, indicating that the ball is currently in Lionsgate's court.

"It's completely up to Lionsgate. Dan and I are ready to do it. We've been toying around with a sequel idea that we really like. It's just a matter of getting our schedules in line and having Lionsgate sign off on the idea. We've been ready to do a Blair Witch movie for a long time. We're as close as we've ever been to making it happen but it's still not a guaranteed thing."

The director also said the sequel will completely disregard Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, the failed 2000 sequel which Eduardo Sánchez and Daniel Myrick executive produced.

"I actually liked the sequel but at the same time it exists in a world outside of the movie. So if we want to do a sequel to The Blair Witch Project, we have to stay in that world, which Book of Shadows didn't stay in that world. Book of Shadows created a different world. It's like if the sequel to Jaws started with shots of people lined up to see Jaws in the movie theater. For Book of Shadows it worked in a certain way but to me my biggest gripe with Artisan was you shouldn't have called it 'Blair Witch 2.' It would've been fine to call it Blair Witch Chronicles. It wasn't really a sequel to our movie. So it would be a direct sequel to our film living in that mythology of Burkittsville, being possessed, haunted by something."

The stars of The Blair Witch Project - Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael C. Williams - will likely return for The Blair Witch Project 3, although not as the main characters.

"The plan is to have them [back]. They're probably not going to be the main characters but they're definitely characters in the sequel."

The Blair Witch Project 3 is in development .

1. Redsails

The original Blair Witch Project was one of the best movies ever made. You didn't like it because you didn't get to see "the witch?" That would have ruined it, IMO. That's what made it scary in the first place.

1 year agoby @redsailsFlag

2. m2

Really?

3 years agoby @m2Flag

3. Messenger

@2movieguys
    For those of you who don't remember the star of the 2nd BWP is Jeffery Donovan who is in an awesome little show BURN NOTICE and was also in Clint Eastwood's "Changling."

3 years agoby @messengerFlag

@2movieguys They died. It was all real.... lol

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

5. Jakn

@2movieguys They were making a doc*mentery in the woods and dissappered.

lol, jk

3 years agoby @jaknFlag

6. CelluloidDreams

"The Blair Princess Project" FROM 1999 is 100% more fitting!!..

BTW what ever happend to the cast "The Blair Witch Project"..!?

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

7. slysnide

I wrote a straight 0 star review for the first one for those who wanna know how awful it is.

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

8. FilmsLobby.Com

looking.......................

3 years agoby @filmslobbyFlag

9. FilmsLobby.Com

definatly nice...............

3 years agoby @filmslobbyFlag

10. JonSpidey07

cool stuff

I still have yet to see the first movie

I did see TV spots for Blair Witch 2 and it looked awful

like really you guys, you made it into an actual movie? and WTF is Book of Shadows doing in here?

3 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

11. The_Crow2k

The only reason i 'liked' this was because both films were hilarious.

3 years agoby @the-crow2kFlag

12. Tha Phoenix

But...

*gathers possessions and exits stage right*

3 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

13. psychobilly13

I thought both movies were good.

3 years agoby @psychobilly13Flag

Lovely responses

15. slysnide

no no no NO NOOOO!!!!

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

16. CelluloidDreams

........BTW..Some years later after "Blair Witch" came & went in theaters to DVD,
    I was at some flea marktet and stumbled upon a DVD called: "The Last Broadcast" from 1998 ...the box itself was advertised that it was the "Pre-Blair Witch"!. ....'AFTER" watching the film...it was!

The film was a complete knock-off...! I had the "The Last Broadcast" for years, and then lost it...I showed it to everyone and anyone...they all agreed..so "Blair Witch" didn't pave the road for: "Horror doc*mentaries" (or rather, mockumentaries)..!...Just a silly knock-off!.

PS: ..."The Last Broadcast" is a tad better ...!.

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

17. The Boondock Saint

The First blair witch is f*cking bullsh*t. and blair witch 2, although the ending is HOOORRIBLE, I thought it was a solid film on the whole. although, I know and accept that fact that I am in the minority on that. a third one could be good.

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

18. CelluloidDreams

I remember when I 1st saw "The Blair Witch Project" back in 1999 in theaters, at the end credits of the film some; people booed, others like me laughed, while other people actually walked out!

Rented Part 2, and forgot about soon after.!

I thought it was a waste of money. Great marketing campaign ...but a very reprehensible film.!

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

The Blair Witch Project was beyond retarded and boring. Nuff said.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

20. CelluloidDreams

LOL!! Waste of time and money !! hated the 1st "Blair Witch" film...good marketing ..but laughable plot!!

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

21. moviegeek

Most Epic fail news article of the year.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

22. JasonKat

And wat i hate about these films, is the chitty camera movments, Yes its supsed to be a handcam type of movie, that shouldnt sound or look clear, but its still crappy how the camera guy is always moving it like theres a fuking earthquake going on.lol.
    But again.. it wasnt a bad movie, it was just 1 of those movies that u will enjoy watchin it 1 time and thats it. unlike other films that r watchable. But they really need to make it good if they plan for a part3, i would just leave it alone or start from scrach... reboot it. and give us a better story.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

23. Messenger

@jasonkat
    LOL, that's what everyone calls them. =)

3 years agoby @messengerFlag

24. ROFLitschristian

Here's the thing with the original Blair Witch. I don't see it as spectacular as made out. It's a fine movie and has a great horrific atmosphere, as most movies don't have now-a-days, but nothing really pays off. I'll admit, I watched the last 30 minutes the other night on Showtime and it gives me chills. But there was no big pay off that made me want to watch a sequel. Now Eduardo's giving in to his audience. Everyone was so p*ssed that there was no visual witch. It's been criticized, parodied, everything. But it's been 12 years. If he had gone back and made the sequel related to the first, showing the witch, people may have been satisfied. But now it just feels like a big gimmic to get people to surrender there money, which will now be DOUBLE, on something that should've appeared 10 years ago. To me, the ending is haunting and terrific. I would have liked to seen a witch, but now I feel like we've all grown to enjoy the original the way it is. He's more focused on the money and fame.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

25. TheDude1

I know this is just my opinion but the first two Blair Witch Project movies were just terrible. The only reason this is being talked about now is because Paranormal Activity is a huge hit.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

26. JasonKat

i didnt even know there was a part2. wtf. lol
    and part1 wsnt even scary, i hate these types of movies, i call them low-budget films.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

Hohoho, can't wait to read the responses