'The Amazing Spider-Man' Ends with a Funeral?

Actor Denis Leary dropped a cryptic hint at the Tribeca Film Festival over the weekend, which indicates a death will end this reboot.
Denis Leary drops possible hints about The Amazing Spider-Man ending
Denis Leary drops possible hints about The Amazing Spider-Man ending
The Amazing Spider-Man is currently in production in New York City, and one of its stars recently gave an intriguing hint about the ending. Denis Leary, who portrays police captain George Stacy, the father of Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy, was asked about set photos of Emma Stone at a funeral in December. Those photos lead to speculation that George Stacy dies in the movie. Here's what Denis Leary had to say about the photos at the Tribeca Film Festival over the weekend.

"I'm not allowed to say anything about the ending of Spider-Man - or the ending of Rescue Me. It's verboten! I can't tell you!"

It seems that funeral scene, which appeared to be a police funeral, may take place at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man, and could in fact be the funeral of George Stacy. In the comic books, George Stacy was killed in a battle with Doctor Octopus, although that character has not been confirmed to appear in The Amazing Spider-Man.

Denis Leary also talked about his preparation to portray his first comic book character.

"I just really spent a lot of time with the director and I got some information from Stan Lee and the guys at Marvel. It's the first time I got to play a comic book guy."

Rescue Me, the FX TV series that Denis Leary co-created, is entering its seventh and final season, which will premiere this summer.

The Amazing Spider-Man was released July 3rd, 2012 and stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Martin Sheen, Sally Field, Irrfan Khan, Campbell Scott. The film is directed by Marc Webb.

Sources: MTV

1. Monkeyiron 2.0

@mcartney i think it's the Lizard not Uncle Ben's seeing its re-telling the story Ben probably dies in the middle of the movie

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

2. CBF

Oh I see. Yeah sure thing if it's a police funeral and Gwen is there, then it's George who dies. I wonder if, like the comics, they will allude to George knowing Parker's secret and tells Spidey to "watch over my daughter" as he dies. So they are most likely setting up Gwen's death for a sequel perhaps to differentiate it from the first Spider-Man films and to properly set up Osborn as the Goblin. I wouldn't be surprised. And since MJ was overused in the Raimi Trilogy, they may set up MJ in a sequel but sparingly use her or just allude at the end of the series that there may be a future with her. This seriously would not surprise me. I just hope Black Cat makes it in this series somehow.

3 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

3. Major Tom

My bet is actually that it's Uncle Ben's funeral. But that's just my guess.

3 years agoby @movie-nutFlag

4. JasonKat

OMG you know what??????????? WHAT IF... A BIG IFFFF!... what if the funeral is the begining? Sumthing or sum1 killed sum1 and thats the story, they r trying to find out who that is, and then later in the film, spiderman finds out who the killer is and goes after him/it. a course the film will then end with spiderman flying off a building, (kinda like batman begins) =)

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

5. Oregon

i have unconfirmed knowledge that the funeral is in fact that of spider man and the movie will then be rebooted for a 3rd time in collaboration with an inconclusive zombie movie wherein a spider zombie will be the lead villain in a tim burton reboot of the 2nd reboot of batman. again, this is all unconfirmed...reboot.

3 years agoby @oregonFlag

6. bounded

When do they not end with a funeral?

3 years agoby @boundedFlag

We'll find out next year

I am going to cross my fingers for this becuase spiderman deserves the proper treatment.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@narrator I just hope that it isn't at the end of the film.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

I don't understand why is this such a shock to a few people. From the first ever production stills released, we knew the film would contain a funeral scene. However, unlike SM1's epilogue, this films funeral scene is for a cop, and it takes place in downtown Manhattan. Sounds fairly different to me. The only down side to this information is the fact that Captain Stacy will indeed die, as it has to be someone important to warrant a funeral in the streets. Also, this isn't even confirmed, so we're jumping the gun here.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

11. JasonKat

So bottom line..the only new thing here is.. a new suit, a new villan, and new actors/actresses, anything else? NOPE the story remains the same! blah

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

12. moviegeek

Sounds too similar.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

13. SpaceCowboy

As Spider-Man 1 and 3 did too...and Spider-Man 2 ended with a wedding?

3 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

14. ChiRep_1

Yup, @narrator pretty much sums up the controversy with his response, well done. And as much as we hate the villain dying, Curt Connors will more than likely be the one being buried at that funeral, and if that's the case I don't see it ending with that scene...

3 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

the films first few days ff production were to film the funeral scene that you're all talking about. We obviously know Gwen doesn't die because she attends the funeral, as does Howell's character. I don't think Captain Stacy dies either, because Gwen doesn't scream "my father just died" in the images, but anything's possible. I'm willing to bet it's a secondary character that bits the dust... I hope.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. Rudy

wow just like the sam raimi one. how original. 8(

3 years agoby @rudyFlag

17. Worth5Bucks

@fanboy exactly :P

3 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

18. fanboy

@mattbierwagen two words: corporate greed

3 years agoby @fanboyFlag

19. JasonKat

@ejk1 lol yea i meant her, but like sum others mentioned below, why does there have to b a Funeral in every film? And why cant the same villan be in part2 or even 3 films? Like remeber in the cartoons, say.. "batman" joker was always coming & going in more than 1 cartoon. at 1 point hes caught, in another he breaks free or hes lose again and stuff, My point is, whoever the bad guy is in spiderman, hopfully he doesnt get killed and could maybe return for part2, and maybe have a new bad guy in part2, aside from the 1st villan, if that makes any sense.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

20. Worth5Bucks

@fanboy ya i know right. i never wanted this movie to be rebooted so soon. i dont know why anyone does

3 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

21. fanboy

How original

3 years agoby @fanboyFlag

@jptheredskull Yes, but only one would be at main villain--Bane and Talia would be subordinates, and no one knows how Catwoman will be presented. I'm just throwing this out there because it has always bothered me that we never saw Ras's body.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

23. Worth5Bucks

ughhh....

3 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

24. Salem6777

@jptheredskull true i am getting tired of marvel always killing there bad guys actually all super hero movies need to stop it.....

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

25. J.P.

@Salem6777 LOL, who won't be?

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

26. J.P.

@ejk1 Yeah. I guess but honestly I hope not. Having three and possibly more villains in a Batman movie makes be worry it'll be like a certain other Threequel.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

27. Salem6777

i sware if they kill the villain again i am going to be mad!

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

28. Salem6777

just like spider-man 1.....

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

@jptheredskull That's what I mean. I think it's possible that everything will be shot except the final scenes, and then Neeson will be flown in secretly to take part in the final twist. By coming and doing an uncredited scene, his appearance can easily be kept a secret.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

30. J.P.

@ejk1 I get what your saying but I thinks it's unlikely he'll be an on-screen villain in TDKR. He may be behind the scenes and if he is on-screen, it'll be like the first film, of-screen for most of it and resurfaced at the end.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag