'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Synopsis Revealed!

More clues about Peter Parker's past are uncovered as the high school graduate meets new friend Electro and reunites with Harry Osborn.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 synopsis revealed!
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 synopsis revealed!
Columbia Pictures announced today that filming has begun on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in New York. The film is the first in the history of the franchise that will be filmed entirely in New York City and New York State.

The sequel to last year's critical and box office hit The Amazing Spider-Man, the film stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Shailene Woodley, Dane DeHaan, Colm Feore, Paul Giamatti, and Sally Field.

Here is the official synopsis.

In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy - between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can't come quickly enough. Peter hasn't forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen's father to protect her by staying away - but that's a promise he just can't keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.

The film is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci & Jeff Pinkner, with a previous draft by James Vanderbilt, and based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Avi Arad and Matthew Tolmach are the producers.

The film's key behind-the-scenes team includes director of photography Daniel Mindel, production designer Mark Friedberg, editors Pietro Scalia and Elliot Graham, and costume designer Deborah Lynn Scott.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was released May 2nd, 2014 and stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Colm Feore, Felicity Jones, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field. The film is directed by Marc Webb.

Sources: Columbia Pictures

1. Kjones1978

This movie sounds good! It should become an exciting summer blockbuster! I'm glad to see that Martin Sheen will reprise his role as Uncle Ben. I've always like Sheen. I think I saw him as the host of a show on public television a month ago or so, called Breakthroughs with Martin Sheen. The show presented stories about businesses, colleges, universities and industries. I was flipping through the channels and caught this Martin Sheen public television program on my local PBS station.

The Breakthroughs Martin Sheen show delivered interesting stories about different subjects, like the environment, technology and education. I watched some segments of the Martin Sheen PBS show on its official website.

I agree with some of the other commenters who have said that the movie's director shouldn't try to cram too many villains or too many plot elements into the film.

1 year agoby @kjones1978Flag

@bawnian-dexeus Too much.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@narrator Sadly, this goes right with that idea of stuffing as much as they can into this because they realize they're on a time crunch. Of course, that could be remedied by a time jump, but that would take brains.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@bawnian-dexeus Interesting...

I'm with @ejk1 a hundred percent; save Black Cat and any time of additional vigilante/villain character for another film. This film already has a lot of time consuming factors to shuffle with a low probability for success. Besides, I have trouble seeing Jones as Hardy. If anything, I see her portraying Betty Brant to play off of Giamatti's J. Jonah Jameson.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@bawnian-dexeus If they introduce Felecia Hardy, I hope she doesn't become Black Cat in this film. Save that for later. Everything doesn't have to be put in one film.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx@narrator@dan1@ejk1 Until MW posts the article, I've read that Felicity Jones has been added to the cast and rumor has it that her character might be black cat.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

7. SLIM 40

I hope this is good...

1 year agoby @SLIM-40Flag

8. Nicholaus XX

@dan1 -- Still a higher rating than I've given it.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

9. Nicholaus XX

@dan1 -- Countering your other point; what is your final rating for "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

10. Carl Us

I am sure the 2nd film will be better, as they spent alittle to much on the origin story for the first film. it did not have to be that lengh. as that did not leave to much room for the villain. *more later

STILL i did like ASM!

1 year agoby @Carl-UsFlag

11. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- Good points.

@dan1 -- Exactly! I've been saying the same thing, for a while now. Mediocrity owns Hollywood, nowadays.

@narrator -- I'd have to take their side, on this one.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

It's not so much that people enjoy mediocrity, @dan1, as it is that we acknowledge the chances of the property EVER reverting to Marvel/Disney. Otherwise, we'd all be down for a reboot done well. Unfortunately, the Spider-Man property is Columbia Pictures main cash cow. Sony won't just let that go. We're essentially stuck with a lonely Peter Parker, no matter how much we all may want to see him interact with the other Marvel cinematic characters at some point. Besides, I doubt we'll see anything rehashed come Part 2. We have Gwen Stacy already introduced, a partially still in high-school Peter Parker, Electro debuting as the villain, and Harry and MJ are only now being reintroduced. That alone sets it distinctly apart from the Raimi trilogy, if only aesthetically. While the sequel could very well be bad, I doubt that it would be due to unnecessarily similarities again. It would fail only on the mediocre development of the first film and it's own unique shortcomings. Lol.

On a side note, I'm not completely sure Marvel would do anything different with the property. While it's likely they'd be smart enough to know we don't want an origins story, I don't quite see them resisting the option of featuring a grown-up Spider-Man.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@ejk1@narrator I know it would be met with a lot of resistance, but I wouldn't be opposed to Spider-Man rebooting again, after the rights reverted to Disney. But unfortunately, a majority of people are fine with mediocrity and seeing rehashes.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

I remember well, @ejk1, and I agree... except for Lerman. Never have been a fan of the guy, so I wouldn't be able to stand him in the role for too long. As for our hopes for Part 2 dwindling, let's be honest, they're not high to start with. Lol. So we're not risking much to wait and see where this all leads... if anywhere.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator@dan1@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I've said this before, probably in nicer terms: Garfield is a good actor, but signing him to this film absolutely crippled this franchise. Do you guys remember about three or so years ago, when this was still in the development stage, and I laid out my vision for a seven film series? Well, as soon as they signed Garfield, I basically kissed those dreams goodbye. If it was Lerman or another younger actor, I could see keeping it all high school. Hell, seeing Parker in high school was supposed to be a draw for this series, as we see how those interactions helped mold Peter Parker into a hero. And please don't get me started on the damned origin redo. Wasn't necessary. At all. I'm hopeful that #2 will greatly improve because they won't be beholden to a damned origin tale, but I remember hoping that Wrath Of The Titans would be better because it wasn't beholden to a previous incarnation. Sadly, that hope was misplaced, and I fear that my hope for ASM2 will decay as well.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

Understandable, @dan1. We both thought Garfield was going to do the role justice after seeing his nerdy interviews and his Parker-esque role in TSN, but he seems to have pissed that belief on down the river. I didn't sign up for angsty Spider-Man. Spider-Man is angsty enough, lol. But I believe with a new script and fan feedback, he'll get it better this time around. Like I said, no telling until at least a trailer. I'm definitely on you and ejk's side about his age and the high school setting, but hopefully he'll shuffle past that halfway through this film... one can hope.

As for Worthington, I've had a long history of calling him for what he was - overblown. His best role was still the one people overlook him for in Terminator Salvation. Avatar was decent, but not because of his acting chops, and he hasn't done anything of value for me since. So I'm glad we agree on that.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator And yes, I don't think much of Worthington since Avatar.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx My criticisms have become a little more lenient with TDKR with repeat viewings. But I've also discovered all new ones (such as the black bars appearing and disappearing during the movie because of Nolan switching back n forth with cameras. Or maybe the TV I watched it on sucked. I dunno. All I know is it was distracting.

@narrator True, they're decent writers, but the main problem still exists: Garfield. I don't like the guy, I think he's on the same level as Sam Worthington, honestly. And he's still in high school? That was already weird enough the first go round. Meh bleh eh Zzzzz...

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

Lol @dan1. I think ya'll meant "film", not "series". That's like counting chickens before they hatch, only backwards. If they replaced Webb as director, we'd practically have a different film in every way. Only three of the previous cast members are returning, with most of the ensemble being fresh faces. The writers have been replaced by proven ones. While Orci and Kurtzman aren't fantastic writers, they do a good job of delivering great entertainment (Star Trek). All in all, I think it's a bit early to count this one out just because the first was a massive disappointment to us.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

20. Nicholaus XX

@dan1 -- I think we have similar opinions on The Dark Knight trilogy, too.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Finally, a CBM series we agree on :P

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

22. Replicant

I'm glad the Rhino isn't in this, specially by Giamatti.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

23. Film Boof

Someone get around to Marc Webb and tell him to change the title to 'The Spectacular Spider-Man', it sounds so much better. Do the same when the third comes around; call it 'The Ultimate Spider-Man'. I'm gettin' kinda sick of numerals placed in certain sequels.

1 year agoby @filmboofFlag

24. Thomas Clarke (Kiion)

@SherlockHolmes2009 Do you think they will remove the costume, it would make it feel a lot more 'Dark knight' than 'Fantastic 4' and that can only be a good thing.

1 year agoby @thomasclarkeFlag

25. Goliath

Gwen is going down...

1 year agoby @goliathFlag

26. SherlockHolmes2009

@thomasclarke I dont doubt that it had good action. I think how theyll do Rhino is either keep him the way he is or make him some super tough thug without the costume

1 year agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag