'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Eyes Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane Watson; Wants Electro as the Villain!

Marvel is also reportedly looking to cast Harry Osborn, a role originated by James Franco in the Sam Raimi trilogy.
Shailene Woodley is in early talks to play Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Descendants star Shailene Woodley is in early talks to star in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as Mary Jane Watson. Kirsten Dunst portrayed Peter Parker's redheaded love interest in the original Spider-Man trilogy, although director Marc Webb went with Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) as Peter's girlfriend in The Amazing Spider-Man.

Sony is also seeking actors to play Harry Osborn, Peter's best friend portrayed by James Franco in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. It is also rumored that the studio is looking for someone to play Electro, a villain who gains the ability to control electricity after he is struck by lightning. The villain's involvement has not been confirmed yet.

Marc Webb is directing from a screenplay by Roberto Orci,Alex Kurtzman, and Jeff Pinkner, based on an early draft by James Vanderbilt. Production is scheduled to begin in early 2013.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was released May 2nd, 2014 and stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Colm Feore, Felicity Jones, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field. The film is directed by Marc Webb.

Sources: Variety

1. Vanboy

Wow she's beautiful! Now that's what Mary Jane should look like!

2 years agoby @vanboyFlag

2. Josh

She'd be a good choice. She was great in The Descendants. As for Electro, he could be cool if they sort of do it like the video game Infamous, and don't go over the top with him like he is in the comics. But, Lizard was the goofiest thing in an otherwise serious film in the first one, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

3. Nicholaus XX

@bawnian-dexeus -- She's a decent actress, but nothing above that. Either way, I strongly agree. Apparently, every celebrity is "hot".

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@diaigma@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Yup.

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Although in Stone's case, I get her acting, just not the high praise for her beauty. She's cute.

5. Diaigma

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx - As @bawnian-dexeus confirmed, my strength is animation. It shows here. Just cast a great actress who looks the role and I'll be an ecstatic camper :P

2 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

6. Nicholaus XX

@bawnian-dexeus -- I'd replace the term "expect", for "hope". Emma Stone doesn't seem like a Gwen to me, but I haven't read the comics, so I don't know if my opinion on that holds any weight. Hopefully, we get an unknown.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx We can only expect the studio to cast the right person with, as has been said before, the right balance of acting and bombshell.

8. Nicholaus XX

@bawnian-dexeus -- Yeah, I was a little baffled there.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I understand. Of course, our animated friend threw her name out there, and to be honest, compared to the other two, well, the proof is in the pudding

10. Nicholaus XX

@bawnian-dexeus -- But, as far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have any acting credibility? I mean, she's f*cking gorgeous - perfect, if I may say. But, we don't want another female from the likes of "Transformers".

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

On the subject of redheads, can we get Deborah Ann Woll?

12. Nicholaus XX

@diaigma@bawnian-dexeus -- I don't mean to interject, but are you guys referring to the Susan Coffey I think you're implying, as in Susan Coffey, the model?

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@diaigma If I may, if I had to choose, Coffey would win my vote, period. I mean, damn

14. Diaigma

@narrator@ejk1@bawnian-dexeus@corey - Not bad, but I'm torn. Emma was the perfect MJ, but ... dang, she pulled a great Gwen, too. As much as I like Wood, Susan Coffey or Kay Panabaker would suit better. Otherwise, That's a mighty solid list :P

2 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

Electro is such a second teir...hell, thrid teir character. He's like the villian Spidey has to fight just to get to the REAL villain.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

16. Chris

I still see no point on this stupid reboot, Raimis Spiderman movies were great...

2 years agoby @chperezFlag

17. David garcia

Wow Sony is getting desperate over this, with all the glory Disney is getting with the Avengers, and the phase 2 marvel films starting with Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World along with others in 2014 like Captain America 2, Ant Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy that will sure eat and obliterate The Amazing Spiderman 2. Don't get me wrong I like to see a spidey 2 and like to see electro, but to me it is a waste since...well all are focus on with Disney/Marvel's Phase 2 films. Ugh! Sony needs to give Spiderman to Disney and not hurting itself.

2 years agoby @David-garcia-67788063Flag

18. moviemouse

im surprised how many people ive heard saying they want to see kraven the hunter

2 years agoby @moviemouseFlag

19. moviemouse

hmm cute, never seen her act before so don't know if she would be able to pull of MJ, electro should never be in a spider man movie its suicide didn't they scrap S-M4 because rami wanted vulture and they thought he was to boring? you could do a lot more interesting things with vulture on screen than electro, im sure this will stay just a rumor though

2 years agoby @moviemouseFlag

20. Writer220

The first film I sort of liked and not, never really cared for Electro.
    Get another villain besides Kraven only shows up when he's hunting one of spidermans villains or him.

2 years agoby @writer220Flag

21. jasdjqs

so happy the villains is not the same are the raimis films. but will love to see venom done right

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

22. THE JOKER

Just don't see her as MJ, but Electro would be cool... I would love to see Kraven done eventually as well!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

23. phatalphd

and watching Emma stone as Gwen made me totally forget about MJ. Loved her, so I dont see any need to mess with that.

2 years agoby @phatalphdFlag

24. phatalphd

NO! We've had enough mary jane...keep gwen. Spiderman needs more action and less female-based plot lines. Why does he always need a gf? no one cares really.

2 years agoby @phatalphdFlag

25. Nicholaus XX

Odd choices, indeed.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

26. CBF

@narrator Great choices! Especially liked Fiennes as Normie.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

27. CBF

I give this a like because they are sticking true to the story bringing in MJ and Max Dillon/Electro is a great foe! Very hard to beat. As long as they stick to the USM image it should turn out great. The thing I don't like is the actress, but this is first talks, they could end up talking to more actresses and rolling with someone else. Look what happened with Teresa Palmer and Diana Agron. Hopefully they do bring in Harry, set more up of Norman, and Black Cat comes in for TASM3. Now I'm pretty sure Gwen's true story will unfold as well, Emma pretty much came out and said it.

2 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

28. The Real Goku

Electro????? -___- kind of a boring ass villain. And why bring in Mary Jane? When there is Gwen. Especially seeing how she wasn't in the first

2 years agoby @therealGokuFlag

29. Fry_3000

Bit early for venom, plus I think they're doing his own film.

2 years agoby @Fry-3000Flag