'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' Casting Call Hints at a Major Spoiler

Who will live and who will die in the upcoming Marvel superhero sequel being shot this February?
Will the death of Gwen Stacy happen in The Amazing Spider-Man 2?
Will the death of Gwen Stacy happen in The Amazing Spider-Man 2?
Read on with caution. Those not familiar with Peter Parker's long and illustrious comic book history may find this story to contain MAJOR SPOILERS!

A new casting call for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has offered up shoot dates, two important scene descriptions, and the alternative title for this Marc Webb directed sequel.

As of now, the film is going under the alias London Calling, which hints that they may be taking the action overseas. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is confirmed to be shooting in New York City and Los Angeles, just as the first film did. But this sequel may be broadening its reach a bit (did Peter Parker ever go to the UK in the comics? Does this have to do with his Parents' death?).

The Marvel superhero production is also seeking a stand-in for actress Shailene Woodley, who has been confirmed as Mary Jane Watson. Shooting will begin in February, and continue into March, with both a funeral scene and a scene involving a core group of scientists from all ethnic backgrounds announced.

The important question here is: Who's funeral is it? That, we don't know. We were always under the assumption that Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy was going to be around for the duration of this proposed trilogy, and that she wouldn't meet her character's untimely demise and destiny, as written in the comic books, until the end of Part 3. The actress is signed on for all three movies, so this funeral may be someone else's bad luck.

That said, they are bringing Martin Sheen back from the dead for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, most likely in flashbacks. Is it possible that Gwen Stacy will get her iconic death scene in this sequel, with the actress coming back only in flashbacks for Part 3? Will she come back as a ghost? Or is it simply someone else's funeral?

Here are the casting call breakdowns.

SAG-AFTRA Stand In - Shailene Woodley
London Calling
Stand-in / Female / Caucasian / 18 - 26
Grant Wilfley Casting is seeking: SAG-AFTRA Caucasian Female, 18-20s age range, approximately 5'7-5'9, very slim, reddish hair. This is for Stand In work for Shailene Woodley for a Camera Test. If selected you may be asked to stand in for her the entire film, February- July.

SAG-AFTRA Featured Friends & Family Mourners (Feb 14th)
London Calling
2/14/2013
Background / Male or Female / All Ethnicities /18 - 70
Grant Wilfley Casting is seeking: SAG-AFTRA Men & Women, 18-70 age range, to portray Friends & Family Mourning at a Funeral/ Wake. The scene is scheduled to film February 14th, 2013. This is very featured & I will be submitting photos to the Director.

SAG-AFTRA Core Scientists, Engineers, Technicians (multiple dates)
London Calling
Background / Male or Female / All Ethnicities /22 - 65
Grant Wilfley Casting is seeking: SAG-AFTRA Men & Women, 20s-60s age range, all ethnicities to portray a Core Group of Scientists, Technicians, Engineers, etc. This will be multiple days work between March & July. No exact dates yet & we will be rotating people. We will be submitting photos to the Director.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes to theaters May 2nd, 2014 and stars Martin Sheen, Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield, Dane DeHaan, Stan Lee, Sarah Gadon, Felicity Jones, Jamie Foxx. The film is directed by Marc Webb.

@narrator I think Bendis is showing a lot of passion for the Cyclopse character and that is never a bad thing. I always hear people talking about how boring or how vanilla Cyclopse is but really he's a very deep and passionate character who happens to be at a lower point than any hero has ever really been and its hard to see him coming back from that. I mean, it would be hard in the eyes of the other heroes to see him on equal terms again because what he did was in front of everybody.

As a reader we all know there is a road to redemption and I am very curious to see BMB's solution. I dont think it will be what anybody is expecting.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

@narrator I like the Cyclops turn because to me it feels like Paradise Lost. Marvel was two steps away from doing basically this same thing with Daredevil in the Shadowland arc, yet they chickened out at the last moment. Here with Cyclops, they've seemed to take at least one step towards that path.

As far as Marvel NOW!, I've kept up. There is no great shift here like the New 52, just a reshuffling, an additional book or two to mix x-men and Avengers together, and of course, Octavius possessing Parker's body (for now; let's revisit that in a month). Because of financial constraints, I haven't delved into Marvel NOW all that much (DD, Hawkeye, and Captain Marvel all predate Marvel NOW, so I don't include them as part of it) and with The Age of Ultron starting, who knows how Bendis will shape the MU going forward.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@comicbookfan Lol. Not the Ultimate timeline. I was referring to his characterization on Spidey during his run with New Avengers. Did Spider-Man seem alright to you throughout the run? More importantly, have you kept up with "Marvel NOW!"? Particularly Cyclops' turn for (in my opinion) the worst? This actually could apply to @ejk1 and @skywise as well.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

4. CBF

@narrator Bendis' take? You mean Ultimate (USM)? No, although I have been watching the cartoon series, even though it's aimed at kids.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

Not at all, @comicbookfan. I always enjoy your insightful and passionate posts on things that are obviously beyond me, as is the case with most comics. I think I agree with you whole heartedly, sans the fact that I haven't read Brand New Day all the way through. Did you enjoy Bendis' take on Spidey?

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

6. CBF

@narrator Hope that wasn't too long-winded, friend. I know I was late on the reply, my bad. It didn't show up in my mentions. : (

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

7. CBF

@narrator Oh great question, Narrator. You know, Gwen was a virgin. The fact that she felt passion for Norman in an impulsive moment in his office made no sense to me as she had not ever had those feelings for a man before. Her first instinct would be "no, I'm true to Peter." After the stories in the Romita Sr. era, there's no way Gwen was different than portrayed by Lee-Kane-Conway. She was a sweetheart, a daddy's girl who truly loved Parker. She voiced natural concerns for Parker's affections, to her father, Flash, MJ, and Parker. She would never disregard these non-trivial pursuits of her true love's affections by throwing away her virginity in a heat of passion when Norman's son overdosed and was bedrested in the Osborn Estate. What was she even doing over there by herself anyway? This was never fully explained and was completely out of character. I sympathized with MJ all those years later during the present day in "Sins Past" but in all reality, she had all that time to come clean with knowing Gwen's secret. I, like Parker, felt betrayed by MJ. Don't get me wrong, I still loved her, but come on, this is Gwen we are talking about and Gwen is in all of our hearts, so to speak. She holds a soft spot that MJ, Felicia, Betty, Debra, or any of his other girls could just not fulfill. Gwen was "the one." So for Joe Quesada to come along midway through JMS's arc and commandeer his ship was blasphemy to me. And it all started with this story. JMS's run was sensational revolving around Morlun & Ezekiel. It completely added a new twist to the ASM mythos on Spidey's powers & origin. But then Joe Q, leading up to Civil War, wanted to get rid of MJ, but along the way, deprecate Gwen's character from the past? I like the story but not so much really, and I just didn't understand the intention behind it. "Sins Past", "New Avengers," "Civil War: ASM" (where they made the biggest mistake of them all by having Spidey unmask to the whole world - which goes against his morals), and "One More Day" / "Brand New Day" and beyond... These are the unforgiveable mistakes of Joe Quesada which killed the book for me. And even after BND it didn't revert back to original continuity so I had washed my hands clean. Now it's been cancelled so looks like I'll never get my wish. Believe it or not, I actually own "Sins Past." Regardless I still love the JMS run. It's the last hoorah of ASM in my humble opinion.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

@comicbookfan In reference to London revisited, I hate that stupid story arc. Gwen... having an affair with Norman... when I first read that I wanted to shoot the writers for trying to be ballsy and controversial, revisiting a deceased and previously stereotyped character and making her a harlot in comparison. I mean, sure, it was a neat twist that no one saw coming, but it came out of nowhere for me (in a bad way) and thus felt forced and dirty. The characters were out of character, etc. What were your thoughts on that arc?

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

9. CBF

Parker DID in fact go to the UK in the comics, B. Alan Orange. If you research your Spidey comics history, you will realize that Gwen Stacy left for London shortly after the death of her father, where she stayed with her aunt and uncle for some time. She wanted Peter to convince her to stay by proposing but he messed that up, and they essentially broke up as she left indefinitely. Parker went to London to find her, and ended up doing battle as Spider-Man, then headed back to the US. Upon Gwen's return from London, Harry by that point had just overdosed on LSD and Norman had regained his Goblin memories which led to the death of Gwen. The real reason she left for London was not revealed in canon until many moons later, when writer J. Michael Straczynski under insight from then-Marvel EIC Joe Quesada, wrote the story in which tells that Gwen had a secret affair with Norman Osborn and bore twins in the UK.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

10. Carl Us

Does she really have to die? I dont think she does. NOW that would suprise everyone, since most of you seem to be sure she dies. It would ruin the whole story to kill her off, especially in film #2.

They can still introduce characthers, but that doesnt mean that Gwen has to die. MJ can date Osborn Jr. And if they are to use the Goblin in film #3. then its better to save the death till then, but again, she does NOT have to die just because she did so in the comics.

besides, those peeps who did NOT like Kirsten Dunst. should not be to quickly kill of Gwen. Just dont see the point to kill her. its such a waste to even have her in the movie if she is going to die in the 2nd film., as for me, if she does die, i hope they wait till film 4 or 5.

1 year agoby @Carl-UsFlag

@skywise There may be hope :p

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@justice-kowaleski I really enjoyed the way she smiled at Parker in Spidey 2...there was a not so subtle hint at the fact that they were more than co-workers for those fans that know. But otherwise, she just seemed like a nice friend to Peter.

It's not like there were never any interesting stories with Brant but it was what happened to Gwen Stacy that really rocked the comics world back then. I mean, that was a huge thing at the time and then MJ comes along and brilliant Betty Brant gets lost in the sauce.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

13. Justice Kowaleski

@skywise seriously the only mention her as the secretary in the first trilogy Betty Brant taught Peter alot in life she deserves a better portrayal

1 year agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

I wouldn't be surprised if Gwen Stacey dies in the next film. While Gwen Stacy has a certain..spot in the hardcore spidey fans, MJ was introduced a mere 10 issues after Gwen Stacy introduction and the 2 shared a "friendly" rivalry when it came to parker.

I have said this before but I want to say again: Why no love for Betty Brant? Parker's first true love?

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

15. The_Crow2k

On the safe track to mediocrity.

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

At this point, the surprise factor is already gone.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

17. Josh

Of course Gwen is going to die. That's a crucial coming-of-age moment for the Spider-Man character, and it only makes sense to have it happen in the second movie so they can explore the ramifications of it in the third.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

@ROFLitschristian That's the whole point.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@ejk1 She already stole my heart in Arrow :D

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

20. James Bond 1964

The bitch is going to die. Read the screenplay already, she gets killed by Electro not Goblin and Norman Osborn is revealed in the end and injects himself with a syrum and mutates. It turns out Peter's parents were trained agents and were trying to put an end to his testing ranges in Asia. It's better than the first one.

1 year agoby @JamesBond1964Flag

21. ROFLitschristian

Why must we always make assumptions from one piece of news?

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

22. zeus

If she dies...she dies.

1 year agoby @zeusFlag

Katie Cassidy should have been cast as MJ. In the same age bracket as Garfield and Stone, and is very much a bombshell, in this true believer's opinion.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

24. Roberto Mata

@dfella Agreed, a flashback scene of Uncle Ben's funeral, maybe..

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

25. T.Clark

Ya know who would make a bombshell MJ? Emma Stone. Wait...

1 year agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

26. Dfella504

Dont know...it mite b bens...if not stacy

1 year agoby @dfellaFlag

27. Matthew Marsland

The funeral will be uncle ben's funeral i have a 100% bet it will be his funeral

1 year agoby @Matthew-MarslandFlag

I couldn't agree more, @bawnian-dexeus. Woodley is cute. Nothing more, nothing less. We need a girl-next-door MJ, whether they cast an unknown or not.

As for whether or not they kill Gwen, ya'll know what I think.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

29. Roberto Mata

London casting call? Is Peter going to the UK?

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

Woodley doesn't scream bombshell for me. I like her and she's cute, but not the MJ of the comics I pictured

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag