'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Co-Creator Kevin Eastman Calls New Script Fantastic

The renowned comic book artist doesn't want fans to worry about this live-action/CGI adaptation that Michael Bay is producing.
TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman calls new Ninja Turtles screenplay fantastic
TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman calls new Ninja Turtles screenplay fantastic
Despite a truly terrible screenplay leak, and the shortening of the title to Ninja Turtles, co-creator of the original comic books, Kevin Eastman, has seen a few pages of the new, improved script, and he doesn't want fans to worry. In fact, he calls the upcoming live action reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 'fantastic', and says that it plays in line with Marvel's The Avengers.

"All the intentions are in the right place. I couldn't be happier to be a part of it. I think it's going to be a fantastic film.

Jonathan Liebesman is going to make a great film. From what I've seen of the script, it's fantastic. Michael Bay has made some great and intense movies. We're talking about being inspired by movies like Marvel's The Avengers for scope and roots origin and The Raid: Redemption for fight scenes and Rise of the Planet of the Apes as far as computer-quality style.

I [want to tell] the fans first and foremost not to worry, this will be a great TMNT film. Much like many thirty year old concepts, the TMNT's have been re-invented a number of times, some were stronger than others, but if you look at what Viacom/Nickelodeon has done/allowed to happen with the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated TV series, and the new IDW comic series, each has a slightly new and refreshed take on the "core concept," the new film with be the same, a film "well placed" in the Ninja Turtles lore the fans will enjoy. If we learned nothing else from one of my favorite "Comic Book Based Films, Marvel's The Avengers, that there's a lot to be said about never forgetting that core concept and core fan-base.

Three years ago, I started working on the John Fusco version, which was this awesome, awesome, awesome Batman Begins kind of take on the first movie. It was really interesting, but it was maybe a little too edgy for what Paramount wanted. It went through a couple of different versions before Michael Bay took it over and brought in Jonathan Liebesman to direct."

What is Kevin Eastman's involvement in the film?

"General creative consultant for the most part, which is cool as I get to wear a number of hats. From kicking the tires on a few plot threads with the awesome writers, Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec, here and there, to banging out cool character doodles for director Jonathan Liebesman, they bring me in regularly to show off the latest landscape, and to get my thoughts, and so far, I'm 1000% on board! I know it will be an awesome film, and the start of a killer new franchise for Viacom."

In paying close attention to Kevin Eastman's comments, it should be noted that the Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec screenplay was the one leaked to the internet this past summer. At the time, Michael Bay claimed that screenplay was being completely scrapped, and that new writers were possibly coming on board. If we're to believe Eastman, Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec are still in charge of the screenplay.

Did they throw out the old script and start from scratch? Or will some of the most hated elements still be present in this new draft? We're not sure. But Kevin Eastman likes it...So, should we be worried?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes to theaters August 8th, 2014 and stars Megan Fox, William Fichtner, Will Arnett, Alan Ritchson, Jeremy Howard, Noel Fisher, Pete Ploszek, Danny Woodburn. The film is directed by Jonathan Liebesman.

Sources: Examiner, NBC Chicago

1. Monkeyiron 2.0

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I mean the key difference is the villain doesnt die in Avengers

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

2. Monkeyiron 2.0

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx The only key difference between those two is Loki doesn't die

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

3. Nicholaus XX

@monkeyiron2-0 -- Both climaxes are prolonged, bombastic sequences. None of the vital characters die, and the world is (unconvincingly) saved from an unstoppable force. Not to mention, the cities were destroyed in a strikingly similar fashion. Replace the Avengers with the Transformers, and switch out the enemies, and you have the same climax, just with a different execution/goal.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

So much (likely) false hope, so little fanboy patience left.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

5. Monkeyiron 2.0

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx explain how are they similar

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

6. Monkeyiron 2.0

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx
    Ok Dark Of The Moon- Space Bridge destroyed sending Cybertron and all the Decepticon invasion ships back in space

Avengers- Stark throws a nuke in outer space destroying the mothership and killing all the aliens

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

7. Nicholaus XX

@monkeyiron2-0 -- It was pretty damn similar.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

8. Monkeyiron 2.0

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I don't think the ending of The Avengers was the same as Dark Of The Moon dude

@bawnian-dexeus agreed do something new don't try to make something based on more than one property or tin other words be your on dude

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx My point was that they should not focus in living up to those movies and focus on making their own

10. Nicholaus XX

@bawnian-dexeus@SherlockHolmes2009 -- I think you guys missed the point. "The Avengers" had a strikingly similar climax as "Transformers: Dark of The Moon", and close to no one said anything about that. The guy's creating false hope, but you can't help but read in between the lines.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@monkeyiron2-0 Thats true, if they messed with the origin count me out.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

12. LazerDude

wait are they still alians becuase that is still a deal breaker if they are...

2 years agoby @lazerdudeFlag

13. Monkeyiron 2.0

@skywise you and me both but i think he's blinded by the idea of his comic book becoming a movie especially with the better tech now-a-days because ay creator would say no in the change of origin

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

14. Ben Greene

I'll only be excited if they end up as soup. After Liebesman's terrible, antiseptic 'Battle Los Angeles' I have zero hopes for this.

2 years agoby @ben-greeneFlag

15. JasonKat

And just because he says "From what I've seen of the script, it's fantastic."
    Does not mean it will work...look at ghost rider2, lots of people hated that1, and i bet it was fantastic on paper.
    So lets hope he's right. only s trailer will tell.

2 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

16. JasonKat

i didnt know bay was part of avengers, lol.
    Cross your fingers and hope they dont hit us with a 3D-PG TMNT film. If so. might as well let disney do it then, lol

2 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

17. justatadmatt

@bawnian-dexeus 100%. I would actually like to see this dark and gritty John Fusco version. While the turtles were designed for kids, you have to remember the entire original demographic is grown up and you can still appeal to a wider audience. TMNT has the television show for kids so why not venture into darker territory with a movie? ...I know I'm not being logistic, but it's wishful thinking.

@dfella thanks for clearing that up...all my apprehension about this movie is now gone O_o

2 years agoby @justatadmattFlag

18. Dfella504

this is going to fukn rock!!!!!! mb is da sh*t if u guys no anything bout action u no bay is da fukn king! so dont worry its going to b da sh*t

2 years agoby @dfellaFlag

I am glad that Eastman is on board for this but I still have serious doubts.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

20. Gandoff

Are they forgetting, that even though Batman had a fresh, new take on him, his whole origin was basically the same? They did not say Bruce's Parents are alive. They are trying to, by accounts, put the TMNT from space, AND not make then teens.. Huge difference...

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

21. Monkeyiron 2.0

@bawnian-dexeus agreed Eastman, Liebesman, and Bay need to learn that they need to be their own movie stop trying to be Raid, ROTPOA, Avengers if they keep trying to do these things they get nothing but a mess of a film

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

22. Michael Kolesik

Guess what? Akira Toriyama, the original creator of Dragonball, said he "loved" drgonball evolution, and we all know how that pile of garbage turned out.
    I'll believe this movie is "good" when I see it.

2 years agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

Yes well, try making a TMNT film, not an Avengers, not a Raid: Redemption nor a Rise of the Apes movie.