'Superman' Henry Cavil Photo from EW

The new Man of Steel and director Zack Snyder also discuss the audition process for this highly-anticipated superhero project.
The latest print issue of Entertainment Weekly features the new Superman, Henry Cavill, gracing the cover. While he is not in full costume, you can catch a small glimpse of what he looks like with the iconic Superman shield (although it's under a leather jacket). Click on the photo to access our gallery. You can also read excerpts from the article below.

Superman's Henry Cavil EW Cover

Henry Cavill talked about his original audition to play the Man of Steel, where he had to wear the legendary costume, which actually was a replica of Christopher Reeve's original costume from the first Superman.

"All I could think was: Oh, god. They're going to look at me and go 'He's not Superman. Not a chance.' The actor inside me was going: You're not ready! You're not ready!"

Director Zack Snyder revealed, though, that he was confident Henry Cavill was Superman after first seeing him in the superhero suit.

"If you can put on that suit and pull it off, that's an awesome achievement. He walked out, and no one laughed. Other actors put that suit on, and it's a joke, even if they're great actors. Henry put it on, and he exuded this kind of crazy-calm confidence that just made me go 'Wow.' Okay: This was Superman.'"

Man of Steel was released June 14th, 2013 and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff. The film is directed by Zack Snyder.

1. Lane

Well, unfortunately, I don't like any of those designs. I don't care how "bad" or "unpopular" some think the red shorts are, they need to stick with the traditional costume. It should be different without being TOO different. It should have some dark elements without being TOO dark, etc. etc.

Even with the minor tweaks to the Returns costume, it didn't work well enough.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

2. CUPID

@lane1 I think there gonna reboot the suit as will there were some concept art for it.
    movieweb/movie/superman-2012/PGLxznPObKrqPP

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

3. Lane

@mieko-siede: Its George REEVES and Christopher REEVE. Not the other way around... just had to clear that up.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

4. Lane

"If you can put on that suit and pull it off, that's an awesome achievement. He walked out, and no one laughed. Other actors put that suit on, and it's a joke, even if they're great actors."

That's completely true. That was exactly how I felt about Dean Cain. Everytime I look at him in the suit, I can't help but chuckle inside because I've never been able to take him seriously as Superman. Despite how much he looked like him, I never thought he was right for the part or was able to truly portray the Superman character.

Christopher Reeve has always embodied Superman and Clark to a T. As for everyone else who has ever put on the suit, Brandon Routh came the closest to how Superman should look. I just didn't like the way the suit was designed for the most part. A lot of it made Routh look funny. The flat, crotchless underwear. The fact that they were way too short, almost resembling that of a speedo. The too small S shield that didn't come down far enough on his chest with his long torso. All the little things. I didn't like the S shield on the belt either, but next to everything else that looked bad, it was passable. I actually didn't mind that they swapped out the more brighter red for a dark "maroon" color, but I wouldn't want to see them go with that shade again.

While Tom will be wearing the same suit from Returns (specially re-fitted to match his broader build, I'm sure), they've already shown there'll be a different cape used with the more traditional thinner, brighter look. It should compliment the darker shades of red on the suit perfectly.

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

5. Vanboy

Yeah, I feel bad for the guy. HE did a good job. It was just the sucky story that revolved around that combining the two crystals. LAME. Well he's been doing other stuff. I'm sure he won't leave the business over it. Like I said, the new Superman better be ripped to make the ass kick believable.

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

6. Lautarous

I can see him as Superman. He has the look.

What could Brandon Routh be thinking at this moment? ("They f*ck me up!")

3 years agoby @LautarousFlag

7. Vanboy

He looks a lot more like Christopher Reeve than Brandon Routh. He'd better work out though. He looks a bit wimpy. And I don't want to hear this, "Oh, we didn't want to have Superman too muscular and pumped up". Have any of these wimps checked out the comic books? Superman has more muscles than a sea food platter. Get a clue guys. Buff him up and have him kick ass.

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

8. Emmytt

he will be a great superman

3 years agoby @emmyttFlag

9. Pjwolsker

i want to see Superman beat the sh*t out of some villains.. ill be impressed if he gets down and dirty

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

Cavil says the right things, but that means nothing. He has to prove his worth in two years.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

11. Zdarth

He looks cool and not lame.

3 years agoby @zdarthFlag

12. moviegeek

He kind of looks like Ioan Gruffudd to me. (a.k.a. Mr. Fantastic)

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

13. Buriblazing

we will see not convinced yet.

3 years agoby @buriblazingFlag

Nice. He doesn't give off that Boy Scout persona, I like that. More serious looking Superman.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

15. Fike

@b.j. Frank, I never said Superman Returns was a reboot. I was saying this new Superman movie wasn't needed as a sreboot. And i agree i think Zack Snyder will do good with this.

3 years agoby @FikeFlag

16. B.j. Frank

@Fike... Superman Returns was a sequel, not a reboot. Thats why they chose Brandon Routh. He looks a lot like Christopher Reeves. The Man of Steel is going to be a completely new take on the story.

I, for one, can't wait to see what Zack Snyder is going to do with this. I definitely think he has the chops to be able to pull it off

3 years agoby @b-j-frankFlag

17. Ensigndesign

I like the new direction. I am for the guy.

3 years agoby @ensigndesignFlag

I really really NEED a good Superman movie.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

19. Reven

nice

3 years agoby @revenFlag

20. ignitedspade

This is such a horrible photograph. It doesn't even look like him. Maybe in the days of The Count of Monte Cristo it looks like him, but he looks way different than this. Of course this could have been taken when he was thin for his recent film, but he is usually much, much muscular than this.

Aside from that, I cant wait for this movie. I have high hopes for it this time around. With Snyder, I'm sure he will have Supes doing what he does best, actually kicking ass. Guaranteed some slow motion too. Lol.

3 years agoby @ignitedspadeFlag

21. CUPID

He can pull it off.go supes

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

I am on board, to say the least. While he has common features with the Clark w'ere used to, he's different, which is what this reboot needed. Also, it's glad to know he's honored by it, and not c*cky. Awesome choice Snyder, physically speaking. I'll check out his short list of work and see how he acts on screen.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

23. Alejandro MartĂ­nez

looks like super...look the jaw and the eyes... just need a couple of tons of hair gel and curly his bangs and ...there you are!

3 years agoby @Alejandro-MartnezFlag

24. ZanyZap

It's Superman!

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

25. MovieManiac

I can see him playing Superman. I'm sold.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

26. Mieko_Siede

I think a reboot is exactly what Superman needs. He's had several live action movies that after the novelty of showing a man could fly has faded--does little else to hold the interest of an audience. Superman is not Batman...Deep development and intricate plot details aren't necessary to make it believable. HE'S A SUPER-MAN that flies...is indestructible...has the power of a locomotive...faster than the speed of a bullet (although I'd argue he's faster)...and so on, we get the jest. Superman Returns, I'll always say, has iconic moments. But he's not a character we relate to beyond a metaphor. He should have "real-life" challenges of the heart as they tried to illustrate in Returns. But he should have as much challenge in opposition. It isn't particularly interesting to watch the cat and mouse between him and Lex over and over on the screen. He needs those exciting elements that can be seen in the comics. They can't all of a sudden introduce them in an already on-going series and we buy into it. So a reboot...A stand alone series from the one already established should be the key. Snyder is going to make it as exciting as it will be interesting.

3 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

27. ed_wood

I'll give him a chance.

3 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

28. Fike

Whats with all these British actors getting superhero parts?! haha. Brandon Routh played a good Superman, and should have be awarded his return. But Cavil looks like he could pull it off. Nice to finally see a Superman movie being made. I do think a reboot was yet again uncalled for. The only problem with Superman Return to me was the fact that their was hardly any action. But it was 20 years since a Superman movie was made. Get real WB!

3 years agoby @FikeFlag

29. Mieko_Siede

I like it...Didn't think I would, but I like it. For the first time, between George Reeve, Christopher Reeves, and Brandon Routh, Superman is going to have a different look. I can see him growing on me in the role.

3 years agoby @mieko-siedeFlag