Steven Spielberg Will Not Direct 'Jurassic Park IV'

The director also revealed Peter Jackson will start motion-capture work on 'The Adventures of Tintin' sequel later this year.
Steven Spielberg will not direct Jurassic Park IV
Steven Spielberg will not direct Jurassic Park IV
We haven't heard much about Jurassic Park IV, which is currently being written by Mark Protosevich. It wasn't known if Steven Spielberg would return to direct, but now the filmmaker revealed he will not be at the helm. Here's what he had to say below.

"I don't want to talk about Jurassic Park IV yet - it's too early - but I can tell you that I'm not directing it. I'm producing it though."

Another follow-up he will be producing and not directing is the Untitled Tintin Sequel, although Steven Spielberg would not reveal which of Hergé's stories will be included.

"I'm not going to say which stories have been chosen for Peter Jackson's sequel because Peter and I agreed that we weren't going to let that information out yet. The script is now being written. It's more than one book, but it's not three books, so that means it's two books. It's two and a half books that we're combining with The Secret of the Unicorn. And Peter will start working on the film this year. When he's done shooting The Hobbit, he'll begin his performance capture work with the actors later in 2012, which I'm very excited about. And of course, I'm hoping I'll be able to direct the third one. I'd love to do the third one because I had so much fun on the first one."

Jurassic World comes to theaters June 12th, 2015 and stars Ty Simpkins, Bryce Dallas Howard, Nick Robinson, Chris Pratt, Vincent D'Onofrio, Irrfan Khan, B.D. Wong, Omar Sy. The film is directed by Colin Trevorrow.

The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun comes to theaters in 2015 and stars Andy Serkis, Jamie Bell. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Sources: Collider

1. Dim Dimes

@major tom

the second one kicked ass.

3 years agoby @Dim-DimesFlag

2. Thomas Locke

who gives a flying f*** about a tintin sequel, jurassic park 4 on the other hand could use another sequel or two, done right of course.

i'd even be fine with a good reboot, even thought the original is classic.

3 years agoby @Thomas-LockeFlag

3. lance123

I think he would be great he did the first one that was cool nobod

3 years agoby @lancelievenseFlag

4. LordPayne

I dont really like JJ Abrams that much, but hes a SpielBay wannabe, which means hes probably the only desent choice to direct this and still have a little bit of the style and vibe that the first two JPs had..unless Jackson directs it, which wont happen

3 years agoby @LordPayneFlag

5. RyanMoran

i dont care who makes it just make it awesome

3 years agoby @RyanMoranMitaFlag

6. Daveactor7

whatever just let Jurassic Park films be extinct already.....Steven Spielberg was the entire backbone of this franchise and writer Michael Crichton was the man who helped the film walk. Without either, dont make it. Don't even think about getting David Koepp to write the script. The dude is a terrible screenwriter

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

7. ROFLitschristian

@bawnian-dexeus@kguy Best. Idea. Ever. This is why I love my fellow Moviewebers. :)

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

8. K.Guy

@bawnian-dexeus That's what I said!

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

9. ZanyZap

JURASSIC PARK 4D, amiright?! Install moving chairs next to the "tweet seats." I'm so down*.

*this is a horrible idea.

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

10. ChiRep_1

I don't care so much about the director, just give us a story we give a sh*t about.

3 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

11. Nicholaus XX

@movie-nut -- Good point. But otherwise, I really don't see the point in them following through on this project.

3 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

12. Major Tom

@Dim-Dimes Jeff Goldblum? Have you seen the second one?

Anyway, I'm quickly losing interest in JP4. Unless they get a fantastic director for it (I'm on the Abrams train), I just don't care.

3 years agoby @movie-nutFlag

13. Gandoff

Out of the the JP films, there was only one horrible part. That was the T-Rex loose in LA. All in all, the sequels was both a excellent addition to the movie line. I would like to see them do a combination of a 2 and three storyline. They try to recapture all the Dino's to fence them in their own areas again, but visitors to the park get lost, and they have to track them down before they are eaten. But I would be inclined to want new characters to possible make the franchise new, and room to grow in the future. I love Malcome, but I prefer Grant in it as main JP character also. But truth is, JP is a limited franchise. You have to have characters end up on one of the two islands for a story for it to be a JP movie.

3 years agoby @gandoffFlag

14. Replicant

I don't really even care about Jurassic Park anymore. Just get another good director and start another franchise about dinosaurs.

I am excited for Tintin though, always been a fan of the comics and it was one the absolute best films this years.

3 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

15. moviegeek

Boo for Jurassic Park. Yay for TintiN!

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

Ah well. Can't get what we want all the time. Get J.J. on board and we are all good to go

17. LuxoIII

Too early?! It's about 8 years too late! Anyway, I think JJ Abrams would be an ideal pick and I also like @theringfan1's idea for having Brad Bird do it.

3 years agoby @brady1138Flag

18. Space101

Looking forward for the new Tintin movie though...

3 years agoby @space101Flag

19. Space101

Meh...not sure about this anymore...

3 years agoby @space101Flag

20. TheRingFan1

I'm out unless they get a good director. Brad Bird seems to be good with action films and taking films in the right direction. I want a director who will take the film in the right direction.

3 years agoby @theringfan1Flag

21. Dim Dimes

as long as jeff and sam are back in it. then it's worth it.

3 years agoby @Dim-DimesFlag