Steven Spielberg and Quentin Tarantino Both Say No to Directing 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Quentin Tarantino does not want to make the Simon West version of 'Star Wars' now that Disney controls the franchise.
Steven Spielberg will not direct Star Wars: Episode VII
Steven Spielberg will not direct Star Wars: Episode VII
With a director currently being sought for Star Wars: Episode VII all sorts of rumors are spreading across the internet. Now, who gets the job seems to be revealing itself by a process of elimination.

Yesterday, we reported that Steven Spielberg is a top contender, though now a new report has surfaced that indicates he has no interest in making this sequel. Take a look at the Lincoln director's vehement denial regarding the reports that he may direct Star Wars: Episode VII.

"No! No! It's not my genre. It's my best friend George's genre."

Django Unchained director Quentin Tarantino also took himself out of consideration to direct, with some pointed words about Disney taking over the franchise.

"I could so care less. No, sorry. Especially if Disney's going to do it. I'm not interested in the Simon West version of Star Wars."

Zack Snyder also revealed yesterday that he has no interest in directing this highly-anticipated sequel. We reported yesterday that screenwriter Michael Arndt has written a 50-page treatment, which includes all the classic characters including Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia.

We'll have more as the story breaks.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

1. tattoofreak87

I honestly can see Kevin Smith getting offered the gig since hes a huge star wars fan.

2 years agoby @tattoofreak87Flag

2. greyhame

I would really like to see what Mathew Vaughn could do with the series, he did a great job with Kick-Ass and made one of the best X-Men movies since the first sequel. I'm positive he can do justice to the series. Besides, I don't believe he would've dropped out of the First Class sequel if we wasn't completely certain he would have this job. I'm sure he's been talking with the heads at Di$ney about this project for some time.

2 years agoby @greyhame27Flag

3. Josh

I don't think we'll ever see Tarantino do ANY franchise movie. As much as he throws around every idea under the sun (Yeah, I'd do Bond!, blah blah blah) I think Tarantino is only really interested in making Tarantino movies.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

4. Josh

@artkid04 I did. Well, 1 and 3, anyway.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

I have to be the only guy on this site who never expected or considered Spielberg for this franchise. He'd be a terrible choice, in my opinion. A great director, absolutely. The right one? Definitely not. And make that double for Tarantino.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

6. Replicant

@Julin-Dylan Just that Simon West is one of the worst directors in history.

@corey He IS better than Disney lol. And having produced The Man With Iron Fists has no effect whatsoever on his directing career; Spielberg has executive produced more sh*t in these past 10 years than anyone could ever flush down a toilet, but he's still a legendary director.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

7. artkid04

I think quentin just hates the idea of disney doing more star wars movies, i mean when george lucas did the prequel trilogy did anyone like them, I mean really

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag

8. Jimthar

i get that he burned simon west in his comment but i dont get how that relates to disney in any way?

2 years agoby @jimtharFlag

9. ChiRep_1

BURN!!

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

10. thedude-abides

hahahaha! God I love Tarantino. Spoken like a champ.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

11. Julián Dylan

I'm sorry but i do not understand Tarantino's reference. Somebody??

2 years agoby @Julin-DylanFlag

12. ChristinaM15

@Luis-Mota Yeah. It's just not a movie I could ever see QT doing. Ever. Regardless of the company that owns it. Now, JJ, sure. He's done Star Trek which proves he can do space-related things just fine.

2 years agoby @christina-montanaFlag

13. jonquest

Not that he doesn't deserve it, but wow, QT really threw Simon West under the bus there. Haha.

2 years agoby @jonquestFlag

14. Corey W.

Tarantino directing Star Wars is a big hell-no from me. And what a douchy comment too. He says it as if he's better than Disney. Hey, what about that piece of sh*t Man with the Iron Fists that you just stamped your name on? It turned out to be probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Hope he regrets that.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

15. Luis Mota

JJ for sure. It's definitely not Tarantino's style. @christina-montana is spot on.

2 years agoby @Luis-MotaFlag

16. Jonnred

I like what Tarantino said.

2 years agoby @jonnredFlag

17. Dbzfan91

Spielberg not directing doesn't hurt my feelings and I am personally not a fan of Tarantino... I say JJ

2 years agoby @dbzfan91Flag

18. Rudy

JJ Abrams or nobody.

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

19. kbelliveau

Good on these directors for saying no. This could be a make a break thing for a certain director, Tarantino and Spielberg don't need that at this point. The only reason these two names ever even surfaced is because it created buzz. Personally I think we'll here in the not so distant future that Matthew Vaughn has the job and always did. He dropped out of X-Men:Days of Future Passed, which which is going to be a huge film, do you really think he would do that unless he could line up something as big as Star Wars?

2 years agoby @kbelliveauFlag

20. Gandoff

First off, Spielberg will not due it, cause its with Disney as much as Tarantino. I would not want to see Tarantino do it AT ALL... He can do movies well, but it would really suck the fun out of Star Wars to have it done via flash backs through the whole thing. Also, Spielberg has done many Sci-Fiction movies. So this is more a ploy to give a reason why he will not do it. Might be due to it being Lucas's franchise, but I think its more to do with Disney.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

21. ROFLitschristian

Well no one wanted you to direct it anyways, Tarantino. >:|

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

22. MadJohnsonProductions

Knew Spielberg wouldn't do it, there was no way Tarantino would do it. I think J.J Abrams would be a good fit for Star Wars.

2 years agoby @MadJohnsonProductionsFlag

23. Sean

So maybe George Lucas will direct Star Wars Episode 7?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

24. K.Guy

awww No Spielberg :(... J.J!!!

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

25. ChristinaM15

Movies like Star Wars are TOTALLY something Disney is capable of. There's never any cursing, blood splatter, and overly crazy sex in Star Wars just there is none in Disney movies (as far as I can recall). THere's no reason that Disney's owning it should affect anyone directing.

2 years agoby @christina-montanaFlag

26. Brandon S. Todd

Yeah...QT directing a Star Wars film. That'll be the day.

2 years agoby @brandon-scott-toddFlag

27. Xenon

Now if it under a different Studio, a more adult one like MGM both of these directors may have a different opinion, but I do understand Steven's decision. It is his best friends franchise.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag