Stephen Sommers Directing 'G.I. Joe 2'

The director returns to direct the sequel, and Channing Tatum is likely to return as Captain Duke Hauser.
Stephen Sommers will direct the G.I. Joe Sequel
Stephen Sommers will direct the G.I. Joe Sequel
The Wrap is reporting that G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra director Stephen Sommers is coming back to direct the as yet Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel.

At first there was some speculation that Sommers might not be brought back, as there had been some internet scuttlebutt "that there had been some tension between Sommers and the studio," but any problems between the two seems to have been resolved.

It is expected that Channing Tatum will return as Captain Duke Hauser in the sequel, which is presently in development at Paramount.

Plot wise, all that is known right now is that Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Zombieland) were tapped to write the sequel. Apparently, the studio is happy with the draft they turned in.

Sommers is likely going to produce with Lorenzo di Bonaventura. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra pulled in more than $300 million worldwide last year.

G.I. Joe Retaliation was released March 28th, 2013 and stars Dwayne Johnson, Jonathan Pryce, Byung-hun Lee, Elodie Yung, Ray Stevenson, D.J. Cotrona, Adrianne Palicki, Channing Tatum. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu.

Sources: The Wrap

1. Mr.Commander

First one was disappointing----but hope they dont screw this one too--- they should make it like the new toy line they just launched--grittier more realistic ---- and please make Baroness a kick ass Femme Fatale not a stupid mind controlled fake brunette -

4 years agoby @mr-commanderFlag

2. Cyn

Well if not for anything else - I hope Quaid, Gordon-Levitt and Parker are back. The 3 best things about the first one.

4 years agoby @cyn-de-harvenFlag

3. Spongebob_Boxofficepants

and for the actors Gordon-Levitt(Cobra),Park(Snake Eyes) and Quaid(General Hawk) they all did well
    as for Tatum and Miller,I do like their acting but since most fans are complaining about it,do it right
    since your the leads and the love team
    I hope it does not disappoints!
    GI Joe 2 i'm waiting!

4 years agoby @spongebob-boxofficepantsFlag

4. Spongebob_Boxofficepants

Rise of Cobra was actually a good film
    the only thing i dont like is it didnt live up to the focus of its title
    i mean the name of enemy organization isnt Cobra after all its just nameless or MARS
    in the last part it wasnt even called Cobra instead its leader just name himself Cobra
    But since the last part means its the beginning of the real GI Joe
    I'm looking forward to the sequel and I hope Summers will do it good like what he did in The Mummy 1 & 2!

4 years agoby @spongebob-boxofficepantsFlag

5. Summit10

do people really understand why this film earned that much... the children who became witnesses of the cartoon series in the 80's, the children of today, the people who wants to experience these types of films all these fall in a specific demographic! People will go to theaters expecting their money's worth not because for the only reason of experiencing it, to which does not conclude it was a good film!!!

Maybe, if Hasbro can bring in more enthusiasm in its properties, these animated series are well loved and are already icons for the past 3 decades. It can be better!

NO MOUTH ON SNAKE-EYES Please!

4 years agoby @summit10Flag

6. moviegeek

Crap. He botched the first one (not that it would have been good regardless)

4 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

7. Kpjr

this should be good

4 years agoby @kpjrFlag

8. DoubleR0522

THAT'S GOOD, I JUST HOPE ITS BETTER THAN THEN 1ST ONE

4 years agoby @doubler0522Flag

I concur with@Zany.

However, Ray Parks as Snake Eyes was worth the price of matin&#233e alone. He kicked ass. But yeah, remove his damn "lips".

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

10. WiseGuy

NOOOOOOOOO! Why?! This is vert unnecessary like the first one.

4 years agoby @zgcorleone072Flag

11. BIGTAC

Uhhhhhhh, yeah .. Im surprised it's gettin a sequal too ................. cus da 1st. one SUCKED !!! Being a fan of the original G.I.JOE cartoon, I think I can say that.

4 years agoby @bigtacFlag

12. Diaigma

I'm actually surprised this is getting a sequel. It didn't double it's budget. How rare :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

13. Diaigma

@RojoDiablo - Sommers. Directer. That's all the explanation I need to give. Though I will admit it was better put together than Mummy Returns. Awesome that you included the world wide gross there :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

14. Movie Freak

The first one was okay but I'm not excited for this at all!

4 years agoby @movie-freak-41Flag

15. Ryan Moran

F*CKING AWESOME !!!!! WOOO HOOOO

4 years agoby @nightwing18Flag

16. Cyn

@RojoDiablo
    Well..it's like the difference between the first Transformers (woo! Fun!!!) and ....the second Transformers (not so much). Listen, I will admit - I have it sitting on my DVD shelf. I paid to see in on the big screen. It's not a favourite and it feels ...'empty'. But it's a popcorn movie I watch if it's raining and I don't want to think.

I'm just surprised that people seemed to LOVE it. I had no idea.

4 years agoby @cyn-de-harvenFlag

17. RojoDiablo

Like so many before me who ask why people seem to like the first film, I ask why people didn't like the first one. Myself, I really enjoyed it! It wasn't the greatest or anything but it certainly entertained me for a couple of hours. What else is there with these kind of films? With over 300 million dollars, I wasn't the only one!

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

18. B3njamin

wow the two things that could have saved this franchise: New Director, No Channing Tatum. Oh well, another disappointment I guess..

4 years agoby @b3njaminFlag

19. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Sweet! I'm super pumped for this! The first one was great!

4 years agoby @redcameramanFlag

20. JonSpidey07

OF COURSE!
    like we didnt know this before
    I enjoyed the 1st movie

4 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

21. TheNewDrug89

Well this just ruined my day. The first one doesn't warrant a sequel. Sorry.

4 years agoby @thenewdrug89Flag

22. ZanyZap

The first one was cheap, Thursday night rental material. Too bad I actually wasted nine bucks on it in the theater. I like Summers, so I'll give the sequel a chance; but don't count on me hitting up opening night.

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

23. Writer220

I actually like Sommers, he's a good director but I haven't seen his version of GI JOE yet. He left the Mummy franchise why can't he leave this to someone else. I'll see it eventually but in the mean while I'll be watching films I haven't seen at all.

I sure hope the third film explains the secret organization and how it started.

4 years agoby @writer220Flag

24. Lizcole2

I dont remember if I saw the first one...

4 years agoby @lizcole2Flag

25. Diaigma

Not me, at least not that much.

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

26. Cyn

I didn't see any "GI Joe" in GI Joe. And, frankly, I'm surprised to read all these posts that people actually liked the first one!

4 years agoby @cyn-de-harvenFlag

27. Buriblazing

bring it the first was good.

4 years agoby @buriblazingFlag

28. the MovieGhost

summit10 said it best...

4 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

29. Saints18

The first movie was entertaining but to me, being a huge GIJOE fan when I was younger, it was thoroughly disappointing. I think Sommers cannot direct. Need new director for the sequel for me to be even close to being excited about a sequel.

4 years agoby @saints18Flag

30. TheDude1

While I didn't think the first movie was perfect it was still good. A solid 6.5/10 and a good movie to watch once a year or so. But the thing that made me really enjoy the first movie was the perfect acting of Dennis Quaid. If he is not in the next movie I doubt I will see it.

4 years agoby @thedude1Flag