Stephen King Wants 'Twilight' Cast for 'The Dark Tower' Trilogy?

The horror author reveals his thoughts on Ron Howard's upcoming adaptation.
Stephen King wants the Twilight cast for The Dark Tower?
Stephen King wants the Twilight cast for The Dark Tower?
It was announced yesterday that Universal Pictures had acquired the franchise rights to Stephen King's The Dark Tower, which is being turned into both a big screen trilogy directed by Ron Howard and a weekly television series. Now, Stephen King has talked with Entertainment Weekly about the upcoming feature film, and he expressed his thoughts and concerns about the production, even mentioning that he'd like to see Ron Howard get the cast of Twilight to play main characters Roland, Eddie, Susannah, and Jake in the movie. But is he joking?

Here is what the popular horror author had to say about The Dark Tower:

The Dark Tower is such a dense series. Did you always think it needed more than a single movie or TV show treatment?

Stephen King: I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn't see this solution coming - i.e., several movies and TV series. It was Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman 's idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution.

What about Ron Howard and NBC makes them a good fit for the franchise?

Stephen King: When working as a director, Ron is very similar to the way I work as a writer. We both tell honest stories that have (I flatter myself) style and substance but not a lot of show-offy frills.

In a perfect world, who would play Roland? Eddie? Susannah? Jake?

Stephen King: The Twilight cast, of course! Just kidding. I haven't got as far as casting in my thoughts, but when I write about Susannah Dean, I always kind of see Angela Bassett in my mind's eye. Mostly I just want good people in those parts. Ron Howard will find them, I'm sure.

And who would you want to play?

Stephen King: I'd love to be the voice of Blaine the Mono.

There's a lot of blood in the series - how much is the TV series going to be censored? It likely would have been easier to join forces with a network without restrictions, à la HBO, no?

Stephen King: I don't see that as a problem at all! We'll have just enough latitude to make a great series. I've worked in network TV before, and every time I was squeezed a little, it just made me look for creative solutions. Besides, I always like to play in the biggest auditorium available!

To read more with Stephen King, be sure to check out Entertainment Weekly.

The Dark Tower is in development . The film is directed by Ron Howard.

1. Christina Starr

Michael Fassbender as Roland, Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Eddie, Zoe Saldana as Susannah, for bad guys, Javier Bardem as Walter O'Dim, Tom Wlaschiha-game of thrones assasin as the man in black (1st book, the sorcerer)

1 year agoby @Christina-Starr-43354215Flag

2. Emmytt

lol

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

3. Josh

It seems like it should probably be broken up roughly like:
    Movie 1: The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the 3
    TV Series 1: The Wasteland and Wolves of the Calla
    Movie 2: Song of Susanna
    TV Series 2: Wizard & Glass (Roland's backstory, including Jericho Hill comics)
    Movie 3: The Dark Tower

That changes the order, with the prequel novel coming later on, but I really don't see any other way they'll pull it off, since this story basically confirms them doing the prequel on television rather than film. Either way there's going to be an odd cliffhanger in the space where they go back to do the prequel.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

4. slysnide

It took him 27yrs to write this, and they're gonna compress the 7 novels into 3 movies??? And with Ron Howard who's notorious for screwing up the endings of every book-to-film movie he does? They better get it right. For you can't leave all the bulk to the television series.

4 years agoby @slysnideFlag

5. Goodbye

No sh*t @Spack:But my point is.Where does Stephen King get off talking sh*t about a series of books that,without a doubt lacks story and substance,was not written for grown men,or the male race period.It was written with teen girls in mind.And he's talking sh*t about it when he should just ignore it like I and probably all males with a functioning brain do.

But no.He's got to be childish and act a fool.It's not like any of his work is worth a crap either.Sure it may have won awards.But his work is like Twilight in every aspect.Lack's story,character developement and bores the sh*t out of some.

At any rate this is all I'm saying on this.I've better things to do with my time than comment on a story about an over rated author whose childish behavior gives me a blinding headache.

4 years agoby @drifter49Flag

6. Kinsean92

I'm really happy that finally they are making the dark tower, and i also think ron howard will manage to pull it off very well. I think Karl Urban would be good as Roland. Before i knew he was joking i thought Stepehen King had gone mad by nominating the twilight cast for the dark tower.

4 years agoby @kingsean92Flag

7. Spack

@Drifter49; "Hating an author just because she wrote something for teen girls"
    Stephen King never said that he doesn't like Meyer's writing just because she writes for teen girls, but that there is no literature quality on Twilight book series at all - on which King is absolutely right! King loves Rowling's writing, because Harry Potter is (I'm giving HP example because it is always compared to Twi series) a good literature book series, it has quality. You know, it is the quality that distinguishes between these two. Also Ron Howard is a good director, besides "Angels and Demons", so he might be putting a good trilogy at all. And I don't think that this trilogy movie series is for nobody more than The Dark Tower fans, also the TV series adaptation as well.

4 years agoby @spackFlag

8. Goodbye

Though I have no love for Stephenie Meyer.I've no love for Stephen King either.The only book he wrote that didnt put me to sleep was The Stand.All of his others put me to sleep and the movies were not any better.

Also.I think Stephen King needs to grow the f*ck up.Hating an author just because she wrote something for teen girls is not only childish but idiotic beyond all reasoning.He's an arrogant prick who needs to be put in his place.

Sorry Stepehen King.But I will not waste money on movie I know will be sh*t just like all your other work.

4 years agoby @drifter49Flag

9. Xenon

Twilight cast, please don't.
    Viggo or Hugh Laurie would be great in the part.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Ledouchee

Viggo would be fantastic, but I think Hugh Laurie would be an inspired choice.

4 years agoby @ledoucheeFlag

11. Summit10

These guys won't mess a good storyline with a bunch of teen bloodsuckers and skinwalkers...(im not even mentioning the cast from the Twilight series here!) I agree, Viggo could pull this off as Roland!

4 years agoby @summit10Flag

And oh yea, Mr. King... good one. :P

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

@Josh, thats actually a pretty good lineup. I especially like Viggo as Roland. I'm sure the average move goer would say Hugh Jackman, since he's a near obvious choice, but I prefer Mortenson in a role like this. Props.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

14. Josh

When I was reading it I pictured the following cast in a film adaptation.

Roland: Viggo Mortensen (or a younger Clint Eastwood, who is obviously the inspiration for the character)
    Eddie: Freddy Rodriguez (he did the c*cky New Yorker perfectly in Ugly Betty)
    Jake: Kodi Smit-McPhee or if they want to go a bit older, Freddie Highmore
    Susannah: Taraji P. Henson (she's a bit older than the character in the book, but not so much that she couldn't pull if off)

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

15. Blackout760

oh dang.. scared me for a sec.... good one mr. king... good one... :)

4 years agoby @blackout760Flag

16. Ownsin

Stephen is the KING!

4 years agoby @ownsinFlag

17. Daveactor7

LMAo he cut ass on the twilighr cast even the greatest author thinks theyre horrible

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

18. Jimthar

im so glad that was only a joke. if they had cast the twilight people ida went crazy.

4 years agoby @jimtharFlag

19. Diaigma

Simple answer - they haven't been made into movies yet - and it's King's "magnum opus" :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

20. CelluloidDreams

The "The Dark Tower Trilogy" started waaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1982 .....WHY NOW!?!?! They were ok books.... Irread them as a kid ...nothing to jump up and down and shout about!

4 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

21. The Dark Knight

not even funny ugh that would be the worst idea ever

4 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag

22. Diaigma

You're a little late, Mr. King. It ain't April first for a LONG time. I love this guy! :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

Hahahahah, ok, he got me, good one :P

24. DarkTower19

hmm ... how did I miss this news before? either way, it's intriguing ... I would fear this would be project lost in development hell if not handled properly. But I've already got the case in my head. Viggo Mortensen as Roland, anyine?

4 years agoby @darktower19Flag

25. Escapist

that was funny...had me there

4 years agoby @escapistFlag

26. joekerr2e

I almost f'ing crapped myself when I read the article title... not funny at all.

4 years agoby @joekerr2eFlag

27. WiseGuy

lmao good one

4 years agoby @zgcorleone072Flag

28. Hiplop

nice joke steven.. had me scared considering how much you hate stephanie myer

4 years agoby @hiplopFlag

This made me real upset. Til I read it was a joke. Damn you, Mr. King, for playing with my emotions like that!

4 years agoby @dan1Flag