'Star Wars: Episode VII' Narrows Its Search for a Director; Expect an Announcement Soon

Producer Frank Marshall and Director Joe Johnston speak out on the most highly-anticipated sequel of the 21st Century.
Frank Marshall reveals the Star Wars: Episode VII director search is down to a few candidates
Another day brings a fresh news cycle, which means more stories about Star Wars: Episode VII!

Today, producer Frank Marshall, husband of LucasFilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy, has revealed that the search for a director is down to just "a couple of candidates." Who are they? We're not allowed to know just yet. But we can expect an announcement very soon.

Here's what Frank Marshall had to say when asked if he knew which directors are being considered.

"I do. But I can't reveal it, or I won't be alive tomorrow. I'm really excited about this. I didn't grow up with it, but I was a big fan and have been since the series started. I'll always remember seeing that big mother-ship go over the screen. I've never forgotten it. I can't wait to see what's next."

In related Star Wars: Episode VII directorial news, filmmaker Joe Johnston responded to a query on whether or not he would be interested in taking the helm.

"A lot would depend on what 'it' is. I am very glad to see Lucasfilm cranking up to get productive again, regardless of who ends up doing it."

The only confirmed details we have so far is that Michael Arndt will be writing the screenplay, and that Disney plans on releasing the sequel in 2015.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

1. TearingBeast

Mel Gibson!!!

2 years agoby @tearingbeastFlag

2. Eveleen Brooklyn

The two directors he didn't mention are Nolan and Guillermo del Toro.

2 years agoby @Eveleen-BrooklynFlag

3. the MovieGhost

@k-man Hm... interesting choices. But with this being Star Wars, I couldn't honestly see Nolan doing Star Wars. His Star Wars... that would be very different, more realistic than we'd probably want. And Verbinski? The first three Pirates movies were good, but I don't know if they were THAT good to warrant his directing this franchise.

@SherlockHolmes2009 That goes without saying... but just to be safe it should be said anyway.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

4. sinn77

kevin smith ?

2 years agoby @sinn77Flag

5. Josh

I'm hoping for Brad Bird, but there are any number of directors who would make for interesting matches with Star Wars.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

6. SherlockHolmes2009

All i gotta say is anybody but Michael Bay

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

7. SherlockHolmes2009

@k-man Well they would be good but Nolan and Abrams said they wont do it but the other 3 are good, especially since @narrator also brought up Yates, he'd do good. Theres others like Peter Jackson, although i highly doubt hell want to do a big ass film like Star Wars since he did The Hobbit trilogy. Joss Wheldon is an interesting choice

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

At this point, I'm rooting for David Yates or Duncan Jones to take the helm, save for the fact that I'd much rather see Yates do a "Fables" adaption. That film series would kick absolute ass with him at the helm. But if the studio is going to dillydally with the property, then Fables should be put on hold and Yates can pursue a galaxy far far away with my delighted consent.

Abrams isn't doing it (he was my first choice), and Nolan wouldn't do this on his life (I'm not sure how people could ever expect a guy like him to even consider this). So yeah, definitely up to Yates and Duncan Jones.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

9. K-Man

If they announced that either Sam Mendes, Gore Verbinski, David Yates, Christopher Nolan or J.J. Abrams got the job....my life would be complete.

At this point, though, I'll take almost anyone over the names they've been throwing around like Matthew Vaughn or Colin Trevorrow.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

10. Josh Tecumseh

F*ck vaughn he sucks how about peter jackson or del toro

2 years agoby @Josh-TecumsehFlag

11. the MovieGhost

@ROFLitschristian I had that thought too, ha ha.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

12. ROFLitschristian

@rudy Him too. Star Wars could use more comedy.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

13. ROFLitschristian

@the-movieghost Either really. Del Toro's got the fantasy touch, but Matthew Vaughn has, well... Matthew Vaughn. My only doubts are that he'll leave after being tied on. Ziiing!

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

14. Rudy

@ROFLitschristian VINCE vaughn?

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

15. the MovieGhost

@ROFLitschristian What about del Toro?

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

16. ROFLitschristian

At this point, my vote is with Vaughn.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

Man, that paycheck would be lovely.