'Star Wars: Episode VII' Eyes Director Colin Trevorrow

The 'Safety Not Guaranteed' filmmaker reportedly discussed the project months ago with George Lucas himself.
Colin Trevorrow may direct Star Wars: Episode VII
Colin Trevorrow may direct Star Wars: Episode VII
There is little doubt that the opening to direct Star Wars: Episode VII is the most sought-after job in Hollywood. Yesterday, we reported that Matthew Vaughn is rumored to be in early talks for this coveted position, although nothing has been confirmed yet. Today, the rumor mill has brought us yet another candidate, and quite an unexpected one in Safety Not Guaranteed director Colin Trevorrow.

According to an insider, the indie filmmaker reportedly met with George Lucas himself to discuss the project several months ago. Colin Trevorrow's debut Safety Not Guaranteed apparently won over George Lucas, putting him on the list of potential candidates to make this highly-anticipated sequel. Aside from Matthew Vaughn, it isn't known what other filmmakers are being considered for this monumental task.

We also reported yesterday that original Star Wars stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher are interested in returning for what will likely be the biggest sequel of the 21st Century.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: CeleBuzz

1. Brandon S. Todd

I'm looking forward to seeing a new Star Wars film, no matter who is in the directors chair. I do hope the rumor proves to be true, and Matthew Vaughn gets the gig. That would be promising news.

2 years agoby @brandon-scott-toddFlag

2. ROFLitschristian

Nice to see such a small-time director being considered for such an important position.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

3. Xenon

Never heard of this guy, though if he does a great job then I'll be happy.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

4. Gandoff

I hope the studio's listens to some of the fans. We want Hamill, Fisher, and Ford in Eps VII. They don't have to be leads through the whole film. They also do not have to have major parts in 8 or 9. But at least have them in 7 enough to show they are handing the franchise over. I want to see, I do not know what you all want, but from what I have seen in the "Star Wars" community, they want to know how the Republic is rebuilt as well as the Jedi Counsel. Once that is done, then anything can be done. New Republic, years if not a decade or more out from the Galactic Empire. Or Old Republic, like the games. Show us, a ending to what we have seen. It took 3 films to slowly see the Republic beaten and taken over, then 3 more to watch the Republic fight back, and free themselves from the Sith. So why not 3 on rebuilding what was torn down and lost?

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

5. Geekster

unknown to me this film director- do i care- yes as his credentials hold bar none- but then Perhaps he will show us wrong!

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

6. Geekster

THX1138 in my humble opinion is lucas on top form and would like to see a deeper more evolved formation of it- perhaps a sequel.

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

@paulington Hmmm, I think THX1138 played with huge ideas and was also visionary (for what it was). There is no doubt that Lucas is an ideas man as @john-m is quick to point out.

SAftey Not Guaranteed is a fine film that mostly used time travel as metaphor for the dangers of opening your heart up but it was by no means a visionary tale.

That is not to say that he wouldnt be a good choice. Chris Nolan had Memento (and insomnia) before taking on the huge Batman Begins, David Fincher had done videos before tackling Alien 3 and the Watchowski's had Bound before moving on to the Matrix.

My point is that everyone has to break in somewhere and while I hope for someone else, I can understand your enthusiasm.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

I just watched Saftey Not Guaranteed and while I was expecting a time travel movie what i got was a strangley effecting and upbeat character piece. The thing that SW needs now more than ever is character. While the prequels were definatly technical marvels, the characters were prety much all one dimensional.

However, I think that it would be better to choose someone who knows characters and has experience with big budgets.

This probably wont be the last director rumored to be involved.

Cue circus music.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

9. Robert McDougal

YES YES YES!!! PLEASE BE TRUE!!!

2 years agoby @Robert-McDougalFlag

10. Sean

@Tim-Fergerson That's what i'm thinking.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

Lucas didn't have much experience either so it could go either way. Besides, he started as an indie director and Star Wars had an indi sized budget, so...

Agreed wholeheartedly on most everything you said, @paulington. However, I'll wait and see Elysium before I commit to Blomkamp as a serious option. I doubt he's a one trick pony, but better safe than sorry, right?

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

13. The Knight Has Risen

Before anyone starts going crazy on this topic, I'd suggest everyone go check out Safety Not Guaranteed and then come back to say if this guy's worthy enough to direct the next Star Wars movie. Sound good?

2 years agoby @thehost91Flag

14. Replicant

@paulington Exactly. Same goes for Marc Webb, he wen't from 500 Days of Summer straight to Spider-man which and it was awesome. And I'd rather see the industry moving that way, choosing directors that know how to handle great characters/stories, rather than directors that just have "action experience".

Neill Blomkamp would be nice, but after seeing District 9 I'd rather see him working on his own concepts; I've got higher hopes for Elysium than I've ever had for any Star Wars movie...

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

15. SherlockHolmes2009

Supposibly safety not guarenteed was really good but im not 100% sure

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

16. K.Guy

NO! Freakin Spielberg!

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

17. Paulington

Imagine if you'd only seen THX1138, would you want the director of that directing the original Star Wars?

Safety Not Guaranteed is one of the best films of the year. How much experience did Lucas have when he made Star Wars?

Though my vote is for Neill BlompKamp.

2 years agoby @paulingtonFlag

18. Tim Fergerson

I dont think so. Not enough experience behind him.

2 years agoby @Tim-FergersonFlag

19. Ghostman

Never heard of the guy, so I'll have to say no.

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag