'Star Wars: Episode 7' Rumored to Get Director Matthew Vaughn

The 'X-Men: First Class' director is said to be in early discussions, and this is why he dropped out of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'.
Star Wars: Episode VII may get Matthew Vaughn to direct
Star Wars: Episode VII may get Matthew Vaughn to direct
Ever since the earth-shattering news that Star Wars: Episode VII is finally in the works, one major question that remains is who will direct this new adventure. Today, a rumor has surfaced that Matthew Vaughn is in early talks to direct.

This is reportedly the main reason why the filmmaker dropped out of the Fox sequel X-Men: Days of Future Past, just five days before the Star Wars: Episode VII news was announced. When Disney announced that the company is purchasing LucasFilm for $4.05 billion, there was no official word on who will direct this highly-anticipated sequel. We also don't know who will write the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII, although if Matthew Vaughn does officially sign on, it is possible that he may bring on frequent collaborator Jane Goldman.

Nothing has been confirmed by Walt Disney Pictures at this time. We'll be sure to keep you posted if more updates surface about this blockbuster in the making.

Matthew Vaughn began his career as a producer on Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, before making his directorial debut with Layer Cake in 2005. He went on to direct Stardust, Kick-Ass, and last year's X-Men: First Class.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: Collider

1. Sean

@Fry-3000 Yes, it probably would have lens flares in every shot, if he were to direct Star Wars Episode 7.

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. K-Man

@jayaottley - I would take any of those directors any day of the week....especially over Vaughn.

@felipe-11 - You could be right....but then again, look at the diversity of the Harry Potter trilogy and all of it's directors. Each director couldn't possibly be more different than the next....yet they are all good in their own way. Then again, having said that, there is absolutely no doubt that David Yates's films were vastly superior to the others (with the exception of Alfonso Cuaron's The Prisoner of Azkaban).

Point being, for me, it wouldn't be a bad thing if the films were all slightly different in tone or feel.....just as long as they were all fantastic films.

But, I'm sure George Lucas and/or Disney will find some way to screw this up. I hope not though....because I would really like to love star wars again.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

3. K-Man

@the-movieghost - Thanks man. Yeah, it's been a good while since I posted anything. Been busy as hell the past year.

Although, I think the announcement of a new Star Wars trilogy is enough to bring anyone back....as is the rumor of a horrible director possibly taking the reigns.

Either way, much appreciated. Hope everyone has been well.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

4. Geekster

Or Jonathon Nolan- having been so heavily enthused by the Star Wars Mythos and with everything and more and refering to it in such a positive light- he is new fresh face- Person Of Intterest showing his chops in Science Fiction- who says Star Wars can not be more than Pop Corn Fare?- he has intelligent and perhaps a vision?

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

5. Geekster

He will drop out if the rumours are furthered, but there is so many a young applicant- JJ. out of the question- when he already has a Star Series in his clutches- Reeves is a no no- what with him on board to throw Ape dung at us in I presume the third dimension. I think of no director in light to be a worthy Director bar Rupert Wyatt or Whedon- he knows verse- spectacle- evolution- conceptual developments and emotional derivatives. Having penned many a great television series and seen it to the end. Panache.

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

6. Geekster

Joss Whedon anyone? Though i will not place Vaugh down in my books as a bad applicant but from how many a grandeur film series he has created he will i presume step on board- get into graps with the concept then think- wtf is going on?

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

7. Fry_3000

If Abraham did Star Wars, he'd have lens flares in every shot, :)

2 years agoby @Fry-3000Flag

And while I'm a fan of continuity when it comes to directors and franchises, that's not always the best case. Honestly, I can only think of Jackson's "Lord of the Rings", Cameron's "Terminator 1 and 2:JD", Singer's "X-Men and X2:XMU", "Back to the Future" and of course Nolan's "The Dark Knight" trilogy as the sole examples that come to mind. Yates did well with the latter Potter films, but I can see someone else directing the films (aside from Half-Blood Prince, which was mesmerizing) just as well if not better.

Look at Empire Strikes Back as an example of a director unnecessarily jumping onto a franchise and giving it an original feel and more mature themes. Lucas could have stayed on, but that didn't work out, and voila - we got the greatest sequel of all time, save maybe The Godfather: Part Two. If anything, the differences between A New Hope and ESB are what make people love the two for very different reasons. An example of this is my father and a couple of my friends loving A New Hope more while I and several of my friends appreciate ESB more. They're different, and the fact that they had different directors is what made those differences possible.

I think that as long as they have competent and passionate directors, studios shouldn't look into locking any talent behind the camera for extended periods of time. If anything, it tends to take away the creative drive that many un-contracted directors have. Hire someone who will do a good film, focus on that first film alone, and see where it goes afterwards. If he doesn't stay on board to do a sequel, simply work around it. It's not always ideal, but it's not rocket science either, nor a prerequisite for making a good film.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

I can't really see him partaking in this film. He's proven a competent and creative director with the proper fervor, creating something as remarkable as Kick-Ass and as entertaining as First Class and Layer Cake. That being said, I don't think he's at all the right fit for this series. He was given a rather large budget with First Class, and while the set decorations were nice and some of the effects cool, I never really felt the budget on screen as well as I felt I should have due to the cinematography he brought on board. Further more, this really doesn't seem like his forte, and certain directors SHOULD stay in their comfort zone. Like @thedude-abides implied, he hasn't proven himself capable of helming something as iconic as Star Wars yet.

I'd suggest the likes of Abrams, as I have been, except now that I think about it, I believe Abrams (who is a big fan of Star Wars, more so than 'Trek) should stick with Star Trek. He's made his mark, and transferring to something like Star Wars can cause several problems. Similarities may start appearing on screen; he may be pigeonholed into doing sci-fi for a solid decade, despite his powerful producing name; and any other number of things.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

You know, as much as I would love for my man Spielberg (which if you think about it, would make a lot of sense) to helm this trilogy, that dream will remain as such. He's already established and doesn't need Star Wars to better his career or fatten his wallet. Now, as for this "rumor", I agree with @corey . Bring someone who will do the new trilogy and not change directors like today's modern franchises (Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, Marvel, etc.."). Though I guess Marvel is the exception to the rule. Besides, this is an opportunity for new up and coming directors to take the helm so, bring them on. It would be honor for anyone to work with Star Wars so, have at it. And also, an eye for sci-fi wouldn't hurt either.

@the-movieghost

11. Fry_3000

I'm surprised Spielberg hasn't put his hand up, since he was so eager to do episode 3. I think Vaughan is a nice choice. But there is still a lot of good directors who can do justice to next ep. Gonna be interesting over the next few years.

2 years agoby @Fry-3000Flag

12. Jay.A.Ottley

@felipe-11@k-man

J.J Abraham has already turned it down.

I've heard whispers that Mendes, Bird, Verbrinski & possibly Reeves are in talks

2 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

13. Replicant

@k-man Having those three directors for each episode would probably result in the most inconsistent trilogy ever made...

Who doesn't love Nolan, but he'd never even consider taking the job unless Disney somehow allowed him to COMPLETELY rework the entire Star Wars universe, which isn't going to happen.

JJ won't do it. He's already got his hands full with Star Trek, producing movies and television shows.

Spielberg? Meh. He'd be a good choice and he'd make something better than the prequels for sure while keeping in touch with Lucas' vision, but I'd prefer a breath of fresh air with someone else...

I like Vaughn, but I'd prefer Brad Bird like @brady1138 said, or Joseph Kosinski (although I want him to make the Tron sequels)

@metalheadfury lol

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

14. the MovieGhost

@k-man Good to finally see you back around dude.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

15. Jay.A.Ottley

Disney have already declared they're looking for someone with an eye for story and visual effects that remain true to the saga and following of Star Wars

2 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

16. Jay.A.Ottley

This is just a rumour and believe me there is no truth to it

2 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

17. red_ruddy

And in a week Vaughn will come out and say he doesn't know wtf people are talking about

2 years agoby @red-ruddyFlag

18. K-Man

Worst decision in history, if it is even remotely true, that is. Matthew Vaughn is a hack! His visual style is boring, his lighting style looks cheap and his ability to properly balance CG/Practical is absolutely hilarious. Not a good combination for a successful revamp of the Star Wars franchise.

Star Wars needs someone with a keen visual eye, a knack for great storytelling and character arcs and, most importantly, an understanding of how to use and/or not use Special Effects/CG/practical sets.

Here is a list of directors who I would like to see tackle an episode in the star wars universe.

Episode VII - David Yates
    Episode VIII - Christopher Nolan
    Episode IX - J.J. Abrams

Other great choices - Joseph Kosinski, Gore Verbinski, Sam Mendes, Matt Reeves.

I love Ridley Scott (he's my favorite director of all time) but you can forget about that. He would never even consider it....so there's no point in having him on the list. I also love Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg and Guillermo Del Toro....but I just dont think those guys would be up for the job. I dont think Guillermo has the right style for a star wars films, either.

I would even consider Nic Mathieu if we had proof that he can do character driven stories. His commercials are some fo the best in television history. The Zenith "Stellar" commercial is mind blowing and exactly the visual style Star Wars needs.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

19. greyhame

I think Mathew Vaughn would do a great job, especially since Kick-Ass and First Class were so great. I hope this is a reality.

2 years agoby @greyhame27Flag

20. Josh Tecumseh

if this is true i will pass on this movie i hate matt vaughn

2 years agoby @Josh-TecumsehFlag

21. thedude-abides

@brian This page froze up on me about 20 times before I could get that last comment off.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

22. thedude-abides

@the-movieghost There are worse choices, LOL. Seriously, I would prefer to see a more proven director take the reigns of something as big as Star Wars.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

23. Xenon

Del Toro
    Nolan or Spielberg
    Vaughn
    Peter jackson
    Neill Blomkamp

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

24. darkdream

awesome Matthew Vaughn is a good choice he has not made a bad film

2 years agoby @darkdreamFlag

25. BruceWayne

@Smitty-werbenjagermanjensen Del Toro would be a brilliant choice. He would bring it back to it's roots.

I would vote for Nolan or Spielberg (since he directed the best parts of the prequels anyway.)

I like Vaughn and he could do a great SW movie, but I disagree with @corey I'd love to see the new SW movies directed by different people every time. The original trilogy were all directed by different people.

2 years agoby @brucewayneFlag

26. ROFLitschristian

@the-movieghost He's got the touch for this kind of thing, and Vaughn definitely listens to the fans, but something's just throwing me off. I think it's because he's a more modern director.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

Mathew Vaughn is a very interesting choice but I am not completly sold on the idea although he has gotten steadily better. Now might be the perfect time in his career to make such a move.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

28. Smitty-werbenjagermanjensen

@titanictom I second that, or Guillermo del toro

2 years agoby @Smitty-werbenjagermanjensenFlag

29. Titanictom

Peter Jackson Has My Vote Also!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 years agoby @titanictomFlag

30. Corey W.

Pass. I want a director who will stick around for the entire trilogy and not abandon ship after one movie. Find someone with more dedication please.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag