'Star Trek 2' Won't Get J.J. Abrams Without a Good Script

The director also revealed that a trailer for his highly anticipated sci-fi-thriller Super 8 will debut in March.
J.J. Abrams says a Star Trek 2 script will be ready in March
J.J. Abrams says a Star Trek 2 script will be ready in March
Director J.J. Abrams is currently doing press rounds for the Television Critics Association's winter tour, where he revealed that he still hasn't made a decision about directing Star Trek 2 yet:

"I guess the idea of not wanting to choose to direct a film, for which I've not read a script. It's a tough decision to make without seeing any pages. That's not to say that I don't have all the faith in the world in the spectacular writers. Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are awesome. My hope is that they'll write the script, it will be great and we can make a fun, exciting sequel to Star Trek."

J.J. Abrams claims that the Star Trek 2 script will be ready by March. The director also confirmed that the first trailer for J.J. Abrams' latest directorial effort Super 8 is coming in March as well.

Star Trek 2 is said to begin production sometime this summer, with a June 29, 2012 release date already in place. To read more from J.J. Abrams about his upcoming projects, Click Here!

Star Trek Into Darkness was released May 17th, 2013 and stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton Yelchin. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: Collider

1. slysnide

Now those are anticipatory films, the "Alien Prequels." Mostly cuz Hans Rudi Giger is returning. (Yes it's off topic, but hey, it's sci-fi). {side note-anticipatory, better look that one up, for I occasionally make up words. lolz}

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

2. Bane5000

Makes sense, why attach urself to a movie if u havent viewed the scirpt and see if its worth doing, the first one was great, that movie actually got me into Star Trek now so i have to back track to the old series, so i hope the second film comes out just as awesome....and wouldnt mind the rumor that Rosario Dawson wants to play a Klingon, her and Zoey in the same film...mmmmmmm :]

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

3. Daveactor7

@Narrator agreed. Waiting for a good script is better.

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

Agreed @Sly. I say postpone the film until late fall/winter 2012. It's only real competition will be The Hobbit, and so long as they release two weeks before or after that behemoth they should make a nifty profit, providing school is out and what not.

I don't think they should be rushing this films just yet. I am surprised they brought on Lindelof. I know he's a good writer (Lost) but isn't he busy with the Alien prequel films? I feel that the first film went fine with just Orci and Kurtzman writing, since they do so a lot (M:I3, Transformers 1). Maybe the addition to the writing team will help get things rolling faster, but I say take their time.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

5. Jimthar

wait a minute, weren't they supposed to have been filming this already? now they're saying they dont even have the script written yet? way to go guys. guess abrams was too busy with that idiotic tv show 'undercovers'.

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

6. ZanyZap

Finish the script and push this project forward!

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

7. Worth5Bucks

well id hope not with anything

3 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

8. slysnide

Jeez, they're giving themselves a real close shave on "Star Trek 2" if he's not even sure he's for it yet wit a release less then 18 months away. Seriously, if they wanna make the release date, they should either include JJ in on the script thus far, or offer it to somebody else quickly so they can get to brewing up their crew. Afterall, such a film will spend a lot of time in post for the effects and mixing. So I hope for their sake that they get a jump on this. Or better, that the studio is more concerned about making a good movie than a summer release date. Nah! What am I thinking? :P

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

9. moviegeek

Even if it's delayed, I want them to give us their very best. Unlike a certain Iron Man 2 :P

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

10. Rufio

he'll be back.

3 years agoby @rufioFlag

11. fanboy

It wouldn't be Star Trek without him

3 years agoby @fanboyFlag

12. DeLaMer87

excellent

3 years agoby @Delamer87Flag

13. Rudy

Good choice.

3 years agoby @rudyFlag

i really hope they get a good script for this. I was reallyleased with the reboot and i am also a fan of the old star trek.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

I thought he was already locked in. I am somewhat surprised that he doesn't have any input on the script. Hopefully, this will work out, and we get a great movie.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

16. Dylan242

Lost and Fringe writers-----unite!

3 years agoby @dylan242Flag

Good, I wouldn't want him to do it either without some quality writing (which I'm sure won't be a problem). Waiting to see all the freak out comments now :P

3 years agoby @dan1Flag