Stan Winston Passes Away at 62

The legendary special effects artists died yesterday in Los Angeles.
Movie Picture
Another Hollywood legend has left this world. Special-effects guru Stan Winston has passed away at the age of 62. The cause of death has not been released yet, but according to reports, Winston died on Sunday in Los Angeles.

Winston revolutionized the special-effects in film, designing effects on such iconic films as The Terminator, Aliens, Predator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Jurassic Park and most recently with Iron Man, just to name a select few.

Winston was also said to be working on Jurassic Park IV and Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins at the time of his death. Winston had won three Oscars for visual effects over his career, and was nominated for six other statuettes. He was only the second visual effects artist ever to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Here is the very last video interview that we conducted with Stan. This was recorded in August of 2007, right before the release of Winston's werewolf project Skinwalkers. He talks about bringing the project to life, as well as working with practical effects versus CGI. The man was a legend in the film business, and his magic will continue to live on.

1. slysnide

I know! It sucks! It seems all the well known persons are leaving us so fast! Especially the 4 this month.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

2. MovieBuff

Well slysnide.... guess the answer to your question of "can there possibly be any more names added to this list this year?" is "yes". The master comedian George Carlin passed away on Sunday. All of these men were masters of their craft. May they ALL rest in peace.

6 years agoby @moviebuff123Flag

3. Matriculat

Sad. The Master. Will miss his work.

6 years agoby @matriculatFlag

4. slysnide

So first there was Heath Ledger on January 22nd; then Roy Scheider (Jaws) in mid-February; followed by Arthur C. Clark (author of "2001: A Space Odyssey" and a hundred other sci-fi novels) a month later; then Charlton Heston in April (or was it May?); followed by the surprise death of Tim Russert (Meet The Press) on June 13th; the famous creature FX designer Stan Winston on June 15th; and Kermit Scott (muppeteer/co-creator of "Kermit the Frog") on June 16th. Can there possibly be any more names added to this list this year???? God I hope not!

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

5. slysnide

Online news reports say he died of melanoma. Though for some odd reason I haven't seen 1 news story on this yet, despite missing out on yesterday's news. After all, the death of a guy like this would be in the news for more than just a day.

I actually found out when I saw this story advertised on the sidebar. It caught me off-guard while I was writing a comment about the suggestion of Michael Bay directing Turok and I stopped typing in midword. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

6. cl81

R.I.P Stan

6 years agoby @cl81Flag

7. slysnide

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE COOLEST CREATURE FX GURU IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE MOVIES IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

8. Jonnred

R.I.P. to a true legend.

6 years agoby @jonnredFlag

9. monkey03

RIP :(

6 years agoby @monkey03Flag

10. deeman138

He created a lot of the popular 80/90's FXs. RIP Stan.

6 years agoby @deeman138Flag

11. sirmetro

These are the behind-the-scene guys who do most of the work and yet few know 'em.
    Talented guy.

6 years agoby @sirmetroFlag

12. wizdome

RIP Stan...a legend in the FX Biz!

6 years agoby @wizdomeFlag

13. Phatlightning

wow, this IS a sad day. What a great man with an incredible gift. Rest in Peace Stan.

6 years agoby @sxers2k1Flag

14. JT's Movie Page

This is truly a sad day for the film industry and fans of the films that Stan Winston created so many effects for. R.I.P. Stan. You will be missed.

6 years agoby @johnjohnson7777Flag

15. moviedirector88

R.I.P Stan Winston you are great!
    Its so sad that he had to pass away at such an early age. :(

6 years agoby @moviedirector88Flag

16. Shadow Of The Day

R.I.P Stan Winston you are great.

6 years agoby @asifFlag

17. AnnoyingFilmCritic

I still can't believe it...Still at the forefront of special effects in movies, his unfortunate death comes at a total surprise and utter loss. The ingenious effects and creature designs are a true legacy and testament to your Art.

The Terminator, Aliens and The Thing effects & designs are Masterpieces! Truly inspired...

Your work has left indelible images, impact and amazement that I know legions of fans will forever miss and cherish.

R.I.P. Stan Winston.

6 years agoby @annoyingfilmcriticFlag

Man. U rock Stan!
    R.I.P.

6 years agoby @narratorFlag

19. MovieMania

A master has truly passed on.
    R.I.P. Stan the Man.

6 years agoby @freddie701Flag

20. Finchy

you are going to be missed Stan....you bought some of my favourite things to life (predator, t.rex)...R.I.P buddy

6 years agoby @finchyFlag

21. DasBoot

Damn Predator is one of my favorite movies....

R.I.P Stan Winston

6 years agoby @dasbootFlag

22. CelluloidDreams

WOW!!! Movies will never be same again!!!

Academy Awards:

1982: Oscar Nomination For Best Makeup: Heartbeeps
    1987: Won Oscar For Best Visual Effects: Aliens
    1988: Oscar Nomination For Best Visual Effects: Predator
    1991: Oscar Nomination For Best Makeup: Edward Scissorhands
    1992: Won 2 Oscars - Best Visual Effects & Best Makeup: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    1993: Oscar Nomination For Best Makeup: Batman Returns
    1994: Won Oscar For Best Visual Effects: Jurassic Park
    1998: Oscar Nomination For Best Visual Effects: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    2002: Oscar Nomination For Best Visual Effects: A.I.

My Stan Winston movie marathon will include: "The Thing", "Aliens", "Monster Squad" and of course "The Terminator"!!!

6 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

23. ShadowfoxSC

damn another legend gone.

6 years agoby @shadowscFlag

24. JR

this sucks how the f*ck could he die

6 years agoby @supbitchFlag

25. Saquin Turok 'X'

I'm shocked. The Ray Harryhausen of modern filming. But his legacy lives on in the great CGI special effects of today.

6 years agoby @teesterxFlag

26. PUNISHER

The Oscar-winning visual effects artist died at his home Sunday evening surrounded by family after a seven-year struggle with multiple myeloma, according to a representative from Stan Winston Studio.

This is from an article that explains how he died.

6 years agoby @cerealkillerFlag

27. PUNISHER

Holy sh*t. I cant believe this. This man is responsible for some of the most memorable character creations ever. This really sucks.

6 years agoby @cerealkillerFlag

28. Timbo Jones

Tonight begins my Stan Winston movie marathon. First up, Terminator. I will miss Winston. RIP

6 years agoby @timmy1134Flag

29. brew1701

this was a great man who pioneered many great special effects in the industry, he will be greatly missed.

6 years agoby @brew1701Flag